Hoping to increase driver passing distance at night, I've glued front and rear reflectors to my wing mirrors.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's still dark out early, and for those of you who can't afford the ludicrously and outrageously priced £3 million GuerneySiderating Illumimaker™℠ ®©, behold the GuerneySiderating IllumireflectorLite™℠ ®© !!! :D

In other words... while clearing up the other day I found a small water bottle, cut a hole through the lid (drilled by hand, using a drill bit), cut off the bottom (to add flexibility if it hits something), and made some holes all around that bottom side... thusforthly:

...then I made some holes in some spongy foam packing material, which was delivered surrounding one of my many recent AliExpress sales purchases... and wove a long ziptie through the holes and the foam, exactly like this:

...bolted through the hole into the aluminium end bar cap (bought cheaply in the aforementioned AliExpress sales). I should have put a small washer inside the bottle cap, before bolting through.

...and simply tightened the bolt and end cap into the right hand side of my shiny new Dahon Espresso handlebar... tightened on a second long reusable ziptie, which I should have also woven through the bottle...

A bit of reflective tape adds a finishing touch... of course, upon reflection a better placement would be nearer the end. The foam could do with being longer TBH. Two widths of pipe lagging (available at a hardware shop or builder's merchant near you) would have been wide enough to be woven around the water bottle.

There you go! Much cheaper than chips (have you SEEN the price of a bag of chips these days?!?!?), even if you have to buy a small bottle of water and missed the excellent AliExpress Winter Sale of 2023/2024.

Will this work as well as the full fat £3 million GuerneySiderating Illumimaker™℠ ®©? Time will tell - I'll try it out when I eventually get around to assembling my 26" wheeled Dahon Espresso folding bike.

Last edited: