Hopper Urban SE Electric Bike (Viking Harrier) from Tesco

Silps

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2015
I first heard of e-bikes early last year when a deal for the Viking Ego was available for £250 at SportsDirect and published on Hotukdeals with plenty of online discussion of the bike. I knew nothing about e-bikes but was intrigued that you only had to use minimal effort to pedal and the motor would do the rest. For someone who has a chronic health condition this sounded ideal for me to get out a little in the park and have some fun whizzing along. I didn't buy the bike at the time but loved the idea of an e-bike.

Fast forward to this month and Tesco have their versions of the Viking e-bikes on sale from £187. I managed to get the Urban Shopper SE (Viking Harrier) for £300 when it came into stock last weekend.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hopper-urban-se-electric-bike/249-5474.prd?skuId=249-5474&expand=true#

I ordered Sat evening and paid for next day delivery so the bike arrived Monday morning by DPD courier. First impressions moving the box, it's heavy! Inside the bike is very neatly packed in folded up position. All the parts of the bike are smartly wrapped in bubble wrap. Instruction manual is comprehensive and a tool kit is included. The bike is fully assembled so only needs unfolding and maybe checking the tightness of bolts. The seat post quick release bolt should be tightened further using pliers as the seat slid down when I was riding.

It looks fantastic for a leisure bike, reminds me of Californian beach cruiser bikes. I am surprised at how heavy the bike feels at 21kg considering its aluminium tubing but it can be ridden relatively easily without the electric assist. Being a bit on the heavy side and me not being strong, when folded I would need a hand to lift and place in the car boot. But I love the idea that one day, when well, I will be able to take the bike on car trips with me.

All the components are good quality, even the mudguards are made of metal. For someone who is unfit and weak I find the 6 gears at an ideal ratio for me and I would think ideal for most leisure cyclists. I read a lot of people use this bike to commute too.

My first spin was a great joy. With the assist on low setting I'm amazed at how much power the motor delivers as the bike shoots forward as I pedal. The seat is very comfortable and the riding position nice and upright. I took the bike to show my friend and his whole family tried the bike and all commented on how powerful the electric assist is. My friend is really into motorbikes so that was a great pat on the back from him.

Climbing a steep hill, I did struggle pedalling but more due to my unfitness than the bike because I turned off the power assist on the hill and I really noticed how much it was helping me pedal. I couldn't have made it without the power assist. Also, I weigh 110kg so am really impressed with the power assist even in low mode on flat ground.

Personally I think e-bikes are a great idea but not well known by the general public. Also, with most of the bikes starting at £599 they are relatively expensive. I commend Tesco for selling them at their fantastic sale price. Even at full price, Tesco are still probably selling the cheapest e-bikes on the market. Halfords also sell exactly the same bike as the Coyote Connect for £599.

I know a lot of people on this forum are serious cyclists, but I think mass adoption of e-bikes would be so good for us all, both in terms of health, wellbeing and the environment.

If anyone else has questions about this bike then please ask and I will do my best to answer.

Last edited:

eBoy

Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2014
Very informative, Mr Silps. Thank you, and good luck on your e-bike travels. Johnny

D

Deleted member 4366

We need these cheap electric bikes to stimulate the market.

Arash

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2015
Having looked around at kits and paraphenailia for the last couple of month, the price you have paid would not even buy you a battery pack! What a bargain. Glad you like the bike.

nigel610

May 13, 2015
I had a sports direct e bike they are bad for business ebikes battery did not last to heavy th most parts failed tesco selling a 5amps version with the 7.8 amp one I was lucky to get 14 miles so do not buy

nigel610

May 13, 2015
The sport s direct bike had the better motor and sports direct do not sell them any more tesco is bike was the same but 200 watt motor

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I know two people who have Coyote Connects - same bike as the OP observed.

Both have had niggly faults, but once fettled, both have given good service.

The one guy sold his to buy a (push) mountain bike, but the other one is still in regular use.

Having said that, the owner of the other one was keen to buy my Brompton Nano, but was beaten to it by the person who did buy it.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
The Tesco Hopper Shoppers are a great introduction to ebiking. I bought one about 18 months ago and was so pleased with it that I immediately bought a second one. They can both be folded up and loaded up into the back of my Skoda Octavia Hatchback - great for when myself and my wife want to explore rides further afield. Having two also had the advantage of, when only using one of them, loading the other bike's battery into a rack bag, allowing me to swap batteries on a long cycle. In this way I managed to do the Anglesey Copper Trail (about 40 miles) on my Hopper Shopper. They have both been used regularly about once a week on 15 to 20 mile rides around Anglesey and, perhaps surprisingly, have never given any trouble whatsoever. Although I have now upgraded to a Woosh Big Bear (different league!), the Hopper Shoppers still get used.

Silps

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2015
Thanks Wingreen,

Out of interest, in what way is your Big Bear better? Does the ride feel different or is it more about the components used?

The Tesco Hopper Shoppers are a great introduction to ebiking. I bought one about 18 months ago and was so pleased with it that I immediately bought a second one. They can both be folded up and loaded up into the back of my Skoda Octavia Hatchback - great for when myself and my wife want to explore rides further afield. Having two also had the advantage of, when only using one of them, loading the other bike's battery into a rack bag, allowing me to swap batteries on a long cycle. In this way I managed to do the Anglesey Copper Trail (about 40 miles) on my Hopper Shopper. They have both been used regularly about once a week on 15 to 20 mile rides around Anglesey and, perhaps surprisingly, have never given any trouble whatsoever. Although I have now upgraded to a Woosh Big Bear (different league!), the Hopper Shoppers still get used.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Feels like a "proper" bike! I use my bike in all sorts of places (forests, tracks etc etc - never for shopping) and the Hopper Shopper does get some strange looks - especially from the "lycra brigade" (who, I have to say, are quite an unfriendly lot - or maybe its just me). The big difference is power and distance. It gets me up steep hills with much less effort. On one long (very steep!) hill on a leisure route that I sometimes use, I had to get off and push the Hopper but, on the Big Bear I just coast up it. Big Bear gives me much greater distance. I found the 20 miles on the Hopper a bit limiting - I like to be on my bike when I get the chance, for hours and hours. It was always a bit disconcerting to see the red indicator showing on the Hopper after about 18 miles with 2 miles to go (though it always got me there). No such problem with the Big Bear - it has managed 30 to 40 miles with still plenty of power left at the end (although I do pedal without the power assist whenever I can). But the BB wont fit in my hatchback like the Hopper - although the Exodus Towbar Cycle Carrier I got from Halfords (under £60) does a great job instead. I'm not sure there is a huge difference in terms of the quality of the components used. Too early to say.