How about a cafe racer style elec bike

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
After doing about 60 miles so far on my Electroped and not having owned a motorbike for a few years now, has anyone done a road bike (seems to be a lot of electric mountain bikes) with a cafe racer style to it, maybe with a 60's motorbike style fairing. I have some ideas in my head but I think 35mph is a must and I hear the Alien kit for £400 would be a good basis for its electrics and as a lack of suspension would probably be happening some Fat Frank tyres would be needed.

Just thoughts at the moment but I think it would be cool ??

Suspension could actually be a good idea though.

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
35mph you can forget the idea of any electric bike doing this. Maximum realistic top speed is 25 mph and a lot of effort to go any faster.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
35 mph is relatively easily achieved, just pick the right hub and batteries, see endless-sphere.com

But seriously consider the consequences, if pulled over you are likely to cop a pretty good fine and confiscation of the bike, have an accident and you may become bankrupt.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi we make a kit That will do 38 mph with a 15AH 48 volt battery price £1495

It Is electronically restricted to 15MPH for road use

Have you seen the new Twin motor Ghost bike on our site 38 MPH all day

for road use need to be registered and taxed and insured as a 125 motorbike

Frank

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Good luck in you quest for speed Marcus , my 30 year old Classic Suzuki CS 50 Roadie Scooter Moped can`t manage that and had 2hp when new . Probably down to 1.5 hp now .

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Of course you can make a bike do 35 mph + but what i was meaning was a normal looking ebike cannot easily do 30+ mph. Yes you can get twin hub motors big battery packs, but how long do you think that would last out on the road before you get pulled over. From a technical point of view yes they are good but from a practical point of view they are a joke. If you want to do more than 30 mph there is a much easier solution, buy a motorbike, problem solved.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Single hub and battery pack on the rear pannier in a rack bag.
I had such a machine for a very short while and it looked just like a MTB with a rear bag and most people never noticed the hub, got rid of it as I don't like riding illegal bikes on the road, the worry takes away from the enjoyment, also I like light weight bikes and it was not, but its range was good if you backed off the throttle a bit as it had a 20 ah 48 volt pack.

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
If I wanted a motorbike, I would buy one as I have a full motorbike licence!!
I want something cool like the Juicer or similar.
The ghost twin motor is great technology but is still a mountain bike, I would like something cooler, I will keep my quest going or I will just have to make myself one!
I have many bicycle spares in my garage as I do up used bikes and sell them at my wives parents shop in Lewes.
I think I will have to make myself one or have I found a gap in the market ???
Has anyone ever registered a twin motor with vosa etc

marcusvictoria

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2011
I know it wont look like these examples but you get the idea of cool.
I think a schwinn style frame could be a winner with a cafe style front fairing.