How best to look after second hand battery - charging advice please

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
After posting last week about buying a second hand electric bike I received some excellent advice, I decided against that bike for the reasons mentioned in that thread but am now the proud owner of a second hand Cyclamatic Power Plus (with a key!).

The battery seems to work fine (took it on a 2-3 mile jaunt just now) but I was wondering how best to look after the battery, considering it's around 3 years old? I've seen a post on here in response to someone who had a poor battery that said:

Before you both anybody, you need to get the battery balanced. Try leaving it on charge for a day. Don't switch it off when the light goes green. If you get slightly more range. Keep doing that until the range increases to normal, which is about 20 miles.
Is this something I should be doing with my battery even though it seems to work OK? If yes, do I need to run the battery to empty before I do this? Should I be charging it once a month when not in use?

Also, is anybody familiar and able to help me out with the buttons on the Cyclamatic please... pics attached

The handlebar gauge has 3 lights, when using the motor the green one goes out but then comes back when not straining the motor which I understand is normal. There's also a mystery red button on the handlebar gauge that can be pressed in, any ideas?

The battery itself has a power button on the top with the 3 lights but nothing seems to happen when you press this button, and none of the lights are lit up at any stage.

IMG_9141.JPG IMG_9140.JPG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You definitely don't need to empty the Cyclamatic battery, but do charge the battery every month to avoid it dying due to cell voltages dropping too low.

The behaviour of the handlebar LEDs under load is normal, but I don't know if this battery's top display button operates. Hopefully a Cyclamatic past or present owner will advise.

You've done well in getting one with a usable battery at three years old, but you may find the range rather restricted at that age.

• Useful
Reactions: bike newbie

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
Thanks, I got it for £150 so very pleased with it - I'm going to take it out on a long circuit to try and see how long the battery will last (as I'm very unfit and don't want it to konk out miles from home!).

Is it OK to just 'top up' the battery then ie I've just used it for a 3 mile ride, can I charge it up now for my long test ride?

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
PS Do you know if there's a way to not display avatars on this forum? I'm having to view your post through squinted eyes with my hand blocking part of the screen due to my spider phobia!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks, I got it for £150 so very pleased with it - I'm going to take it out on a long circuit to try and see how long the battery will last (as I'm very unfit and don't want it to konk out miles from home!).

Is it OK to just 'top up' the battery then ie I've just used it for a 3 mile ride, can I charge it up now for my long test ride?
Yes, you can top up at any time if intending a long ride, lithium batteries are cyclic types which are suitable for recharging when only part used. Once you know what range you can get, unless intending a long ride needing all the charge, wait until you've done about a third of the range before recharging to limit the stresses.

I don't know offhand if avatars can be hidden by choice but suspect not. I realise it might not help much if you are phobic about spiders, but this one is a very young Pisaura mirabilis nursery web spider. They are completely harmless and have some engaging tricks when young to catch their meals.

I should add that small arthropods are a major interest of mine, hence the avatar.

• Useful

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
That's great, thank you. I have a normal bike that I've used twice in about 5 years (due to my fitness and laziness levels!) but I can see myself using this much more regularly in a fairweather cyclist type of way.

I did have a look in the settings but couldn't see anything, I'll just have to continue squinting and hand blocking!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did have a look in the settings but couldn't see anything, I'll just have to continue squinting and hand blocking!
Here's one way.

If you are using Windows, hold down Ctrl and hit the + key three or four times, depending on the browser you're using. This expands the text until you only see the text on screen with the sides hidden.

Hold down Ctrl and hit the - key the same number of times to return to normal.

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
Thanks, just tried that but it didn't work - the text went ma-hoosive but it just moved the avatar above the post (Windows 10/Firefox) - appreciate you trying to help though!

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Y

I should add that small arthropods are a major interest of mine, hence the avatar.
I DID wonder about the avatar Flecc. I thought maybe it was just the closest photo you could find that bore any resemblance to your good self!:p;)

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Nice, a female Hyllus diardi, the world's largest Jumping Spider.

Pity about the animation though. :(
I was going to say, cute little fella isn't he...... but now you've educated me its female.
And as its got 2 'dislikes' i may have her as my sig...... she can don those shades on every post i make.

Reactions: flecc

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Another explanation of my interest in the latter half of this post
Yes, I have just been looking at that post generally and I don't have the faintest idea what people are complaining about. It was the same when I was working, I never understood the gossip and the scandalous rumours always got to me last!
I actually don't mind spiders too much but I prefer bees and butterflies. We have spent a fair amount of money making our garden insect friendly and last Summer but one we had 9 species of butterfly fluttering about. I have saved many a bee from being entangled in spiders webs in our conservatory.
Jumping spiders sound a bit scary if I'm honest - I prefer spiders to be a little more predictable!

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
PS Do you know if there's a way to not display avatars on this forum? I'm having to view your post through squinted eyes with my hand blocking part of the screen due to my spider phobia!
When on the thread in Firefox go to the top toolbar select View - Page Style - select No Style when finished viewing to revert back to Basic Page Style. It doesn't remove them from the page but you can at least scroll up or down to move them off the screen.

To remove it completely you need to install Adblocker on Firefox then you can right click on the avatar and the drop down box will give you the option to add it to the filter list.

If you want to zoom the graphics as well as text go to View- Zoom - and uncheck Zoom Text Only when finished viewing to revert back select View- Zoom-Reset.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Jumping spiders sound a bit scary if I'm honest - I prefer spiders to be a little more predictable!
Those we have in Britain are tiny, the most common being the zebra jumping spider, around 6mm long. They just jump a few inches forward to grab any nearby insect, using the two big eyes to accurately judge the distance.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I dont mind spiders, they dont bother me at all..... Although the ones that live in my car side mirrors really annoy me, constantly building webs there. I keep evicting them with a power washer and they keep moving right back in.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I dont mind spiders, they dont bother me at all..... Although the ones that live in my car side mirrors really annoy me, constantly building webs there. I keep evicting them with a power washer and they keep moving right back in.
I had assumed they were a fragile new species, desperately trying to find a niche in an largely occupied ecosystem.

Well, that's the excuse I've been using to not wash the b@stard car anyway.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk