How best to look after second hand battery - charging advice please

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi bike newbie and a very warm welcome, you seem to have a bargain there.
the battery has a BMS (Battery management system) and with the battery on my folder which is about 3 years old, I charge it after every ride and leave it on for another hour or 2 after the green light comes on this is to allow the BMS to balance the cells.
The battery indicator on the battery should show you the battery state when switch on and pressing the button.
hope that helps.

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
Hi bike newbie and a very warm welcome, you seem to have a bargain there.
the battery has a BMS (Battery management system) and with the battery on my folder which is about 3 years old, I charge it after every ride and leave it on for another hour or 2 after the green light comes on this is to allow the BMS to balance the cells.
The battery indicator on the battery should show you the battery state when switch on and pressing the button.
hope that helps.
Thanks, it seems the 'indicator' level on the battery doesn't work but it does on the handlebar one. Also the red button on the handlebar guage is supposed to be an 'on/off' switch but nothing happens when you turn it off - the power still remains on. Neither of these issues affect the operation of the bike though, I can just turn the power off with the key and the handlebar guage gives me an indication of battery level. Overall I'm very pleased with it.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Thanks, it seems the 'indicator' level on the battery doesn't work but it does on the handlebar one. Also the red button on the handlebar guage is supposed to be an 'on/off' switch but nothing happens when you turn it off - the power still remains on. Neither of these issues affect the operation of the bike though, I can just turn the power off with the key and the handlebar guage gives me an indication of battery level. Overall I'm very pleased with it.
The battery gauge on the battery could be faulty or have a broken connection, you would need to remove the top of the battery to have a look.
The on/off switch and indicator on the throttle would most likely be due to incorrect wiring connections possibly at the controller end.
If both items are not giving you a problem then I would leave them alone, I find the switch a pain I touch it at the wrong time and switch the power off:rolleyes:

Reactions: bike newbie

bike newbie

Pedelecer
May 8, 2016
UK
The battery gauge on the battery could be faulty or have a broken connection, you would need to remove the top of the battery to have a look.
The on/off switch and indicator on the throttle would most likely be due to incorrect wiring connections possibly at the controller end.
If both items are not giving you a problem then I would leave them alone, I find the switch a pain I touch it at the wrong time and switch the power off:rolleyes:
I think I'm going to leave well alone!

Reactions: VictoryV