Help! How do I remove rear wheel gears

Another newbie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2018
Hi, need to get at the motor drive, can see the screws but presume I need to remove the gears first. Thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi, need to get at the motor drive, can see the screws but presume I need to remove the gears first. Thanks
Several Photos, model of bike, are the minimum to start with....You will probably need a reasonable bike tool kit as well.
We do not know if you have a hub or a mid motor e-bike, yet!
OK?
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The gears are fixed to the side-plate, so you don't have to remove them if you can get at the screws. You have to remove all nuts on the axle first, and on some motors there's a difficult to get at nut inside the gear cluster.

Reactions: LSR

Another newbie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2018
Thanks for the replies. The bike is a RooDog Chic, I have a fair selection of tools, I can see the screws but can't get the screwdriver square on the head. Hopefully the pics will helpIMG_1202.JPG
Think it is 8 fun hub

IMG_1203.JPG

Reactions: Andy-Mat

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you can't get at the screws, you have no choice but to remove the freewheel (gears) for which you need a freewheel removal tool with a big hole in it to clear the axle. Note that most don't have a big enough hole. The DNP one does and so does one of the Park tools, but I don't know the number. Maybe someone will tell us.

While you have it off, it might be an idea to change it for an 11/34 DNP freewheel, which will give much more comfortable pedalling in top gear if you find your top gear to low at the moment.