How do you deal with a puncture/breakdown when out?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The
I can see a market for roadside assistance for cycling commuters who would have a real benefit of a minimal hassle fixed/replacement cycle ready for the return /next leg of a daily commute,
Maybe that is a concern for commuters using full size bikes, but such services are not widly avaialble in the UK, as far as I know.

So commute on a Brompton. If there is a problem then just carry it onto public transport or call a taxi. A taxi would most likely not be able to carry a full size bike, but a Brompton ? No problem.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I dread punctures or anything going wrong, especially if I'm +30 miles from home. I also live in a rural area miles from any bus routes so getting home would be tricky and even taxis tend to be booked several days or weeks ahead. If I did get completely stuck then I'd have to leave the bike at the nearest farm and hope to cadge a lift home then collect it later.

I've had a few punctures including a triple puncture from a single thorny twig which Slime fortunately saved. After fitting Marathon Plus tyres I hoped there would be no more but I had my first on the very same day. Fortunately I was able to deal with it myself although with arthritic fingers and very little dexterity following multiple finger fractures, it took a lot longer than 5 minutes but it's held to this day some 3 years later.

I carry several puncture repair kits and a USB rechargeable pump on my Ebikes. However, this wouldn't have dealt with a one-off problem on husband's Ebike: he was cycling along and the pedal popped out and fell off. He ended up pushing the bike up 5 miles worth of hills, then rolling down them on the bike.

There was one occasion when I had a whopping 3.5" nail in a tyre on my 16"-wheeled manual folding bike by the Mon-Brec Canal. A very nice couple of passing cyclists stopped to help and more or less took over the repair for me, replacing the inner tube while I watched on feeling a bit embarrassed. The following day I attempted to repair it only to find 8 holes and a tear, far beyond the healing capabilities of Slime this time. Another time on the same bike, the same (obviously damaged by the nail) rear tyre slipped off while I was cycling along the Llangollen Canal and there was no choice other than to do a slow walk of shame 6 miles back to the car with the tyre wobbling and bouncing on the rear wheel. I have since replaced the tyres with Marathons.

A bike breakdown/recovery service would be useful.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I carry several puncture repair kits and a USB rechargeable pump on my Ebikes.
Is there a Google maps, or similar, giving details of USB recharge points in the countryside ?

If the pump battery is faulty, or flat, what do you do ?

Call me really old fashioned, but I much prefer to carry a manual pump. Rememember them, you grab the end and push and the tyre inflates.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I'm asking this as I was in Amsterdam recently and saw an upturned ebike on the pavement receiving attention from what I assume could be the cycling equivalent of the AA/RAC.
The bike was one with the big sand tyres. It was placed on a large mat with the owner watching on while a uniformed mechanic was attending to either a mechanical/electrical problem or preparing to remove the back wheel. He had a small van which was racked and kitted out with tools.
As ebikes become more common, this could become an everyday sight (sooner in Holland than the UK given the higher use of cycling there I expect!).
Ebikes are a lot heavier to turn upside down even with battery removed, you have to rotate the LCD and other controls to rest the handlebars flat, unless you happen to have handlebar stands with you, and getting a rear wheel in or out of the dropouts can be a real struggle.
On a pavement this might just be doable, but fixing a puncture on a country road - highly unlikely.
I accept people who've converted bikes will say they don't have too many difficulty as the bike was lighter to start with, but those with a motor in the rear wheel probably still find spreading the frame challenging.
Looks like a business opportunity to me. Customer/member txt's or phones in their problem and a small van(E-van) goes to customer, fixes bike, waves(salutes) them back off on their journey.
Pretty much like the RAC or AA

If I ever slept in, i would run my hands across the chain, then present oily fingers to the boss claiming 'mechanical' when I did arrive in. Got me off the hook.

Reactions: kangooroo

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
@StuartsProjects I've never heard of a map of public USB points but there won't be any here - we're far too rural and it's about 6 miles to the nearest (small) shop.

I carry a manual pump too but normally use the USB pump for speed and ease. If flat, it can be powered via the bike battery, although it's charged in advance of most journeys and tested (if I remember) before (most) rides.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That's a good deal for a taxi ride home. You could even stage a puncture and get a lift home if you didn't want to ride anymore!
5 minutes to fix a puncture. How long do you think it'll take that taxi service to arrive?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I've never heard of a map of public USB points but there won't be any here - we're far too rural and it's about 6 miles to the nearest (small) shop.

They'd also set up charging stations should you want to ride the great glen way in Scotland, but as far as im aware those as specifically for Bosch systems. Of course that might be different or they've made it for other systems, but that was it originally.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I use Tannus tyres. No air and therefore no punctures ever again.
I believe earlier airless tyres often significantly increased spoke breakage, which is much more of a faff to fix than punctures. I haven't tried Tannus so maybe they've sorted it?

SHA222

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2022
I believe earlier airless tyres often significantly increased spoke breakage, which is much more of a faff to fix than punctures. I haven't tried Tannus so maybe they've sorted it?
Used them for 2 years and no breakages yet apart from a loosening of mudguard bolts. They are supposed to be equivalent to 80psi inflation in a normal tyre and therefore feels a bit harder than my usual tyres.
My ebike has suspension and therefore I do not feel any discomfort.
I definitely prefer these tyres than having to repair a puncture at the roadside.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I definitely prefer these tyres than having to repair a puncture at the roadside.
If you had fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, you still would not have got any punctures, and you'd have all the advantages that normal tyres give.

SHA222

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2022
If you had fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, you still would not have got any punctures, and you'd have all the advantages that normal tyres give.
The bike came fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres but they were not a match for thorns from hedge cuttings common in rural lanes in my area. That is why I opted for Tannus.
I have also tried several types of tyre inserts without success and finally gave up and opted for Tannus airless.
My rear Enviolo hub and the chain case makes it tricky to repair at the roadside.
The current set up even survived after accidentally riding over fragments of a broken beer bottle.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The bike came fitted with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres but they were not a match for thorns from hedge cuttings common in rural lanes in my area. That is why I opted for Tannus.
I have also tried several types of tyre inserts without success and finally gave up and opted for Tannus airless.
My rear Enviolo hub and the chain case makes it tricky to repair at the roadside.
The current set up even survived after accidentally riding over fragments of a broken beer bottle.
Really! That's weird because I ride down lanes full of thorns all the time. I used to get around one puncture every week, which was really annoying, so I changed to MPs and never got a puncture since. That's about 10 years now. My experience seems to be matched by other long-standing forum members. When I ride my road bike without MPs, I still get puctures nearly every long journey, so the causes haven't gone away.

Are you sure that they were Schwalber Marathan Plus and not Marathan Tour or something like that? Are you an agent for Tannus tyres by any chance?

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and sjpt

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I use Tannus tyres. No air and therefore no punctures ever again.
I tried a tanus on the rear wheel of my eBrompton.

Almost an acceptable ride, even given the small wheel size and the Bromptons lack of suspension.

But on the modern moonscape that the authorities call roads these days the ride is just a tad too harsh.

But if you had a commute on mainly decent cycle paths, then the advantages would be clear.

The Marathon plus tyres on the Brompton are fairly puncture resistant and I have had punctures. The problem is not so much to do with sharp pointy plants, or glass, or nails, but pinch punctures on the every increasing number of sharp edged potholes.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That only happens when you don't have enough pressure in the tyres. Try 100psi.
But then the ride will be back to the harsh Tannus ride, surely?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
But then the ride will be back to the harsh Tannus ride, surely?
Only if you have a stiff frame/forks, no suspension, no sprung seat-post and/ot 13g or 12g spokes. My carbon road bike is really comfy with rigid forks and 100psi in my front wheel, while as you can feel every piece of gravel when riding my titanium one. Bike geometry, riding position and general stiffness probably have a lot more effect on harshness than a few millimeters of tyre compression.