How long should my ebike chain last?

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Haibike, RC29. 38T chain ring to 11-36T rear block

I thought I check the chain last week, 10 weeks old and 1500 miles of commuting all weather since mid January. Few hundred miles in the mud too.
Regularly lubricated every couple of days or so.

Chain measured with a vernier. Almost to the thou, 1 % elongation.
Fitted new Shimano 105 chain with the required additional links to lengthen.

Worked a treat on all rear sprockets except the two smallest, jumped like mad. To be expected as these two are used 90 % of the time.

Rear block changed and all is well. Toolbox filled with 1/2 dozen, very well priced 105 chains.

I plan to change at 0.5% elongation in the future and save the block.
Remains to be seen, now that the weather is improving how often that will be.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've got two Sram chains on the go at the same time now.
As I find that with power links it's easier to whip the chain off to clean it and the cassette gears, derailleur etc, I thought why not have a clean chain ready each time?
I'm hoping that each chain will wear pretty equally in line with the rear cassette gears and when both chains are done I'll change the cassette as well.
This may not work out of course but it is handy having a cleaned and properly lubricated chain ready to go on each time.
My stuff needs cleaning often as I'm nearly always on gritty tracks, thank goodness for disc brakes!

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I've got two Sram chains on the go at the same time now.
As I find that with power links it's easier to whip the chain off to clean it and the cassette gears, derailleur etc, I thought why not have a clean chain ready each time?
I'm hoping that each chain will wear pretty equally in line with the rear cassette gears and when both chains are done I'll change the cassette as well.
This may not work out of course but it is handy having a cleaned and properly lubricated chain ready to go on each time.
My stuff needs cleaning often as I'm nearly always on gritty tracks, thank goodness for disc brakes!
An interesting plan. Do let us know how this works out when you have be doing it for a few chains.

Obviously easier to clean the chain off the bike but will it pay dividends?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
An interesting plan. Do let us know how this works out when you have be doing it for a few chains.
68th birthday this year so we both may never know as my previous chains have lasted several years and many thousands of miles using leg power only.
I most certainly hope to be reporting back in the future and would like to wear out a few more chains..........
My main motivation is as you say, it makes cleaning easier.
Maybe someone younger could take on the experiment:)

• Useful
Reactions: kennethsmyth

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
68th birthday this year so we both may never know as my previous chains have lasted several years and many thousands of miles using leg power only.
I most certainly hope to be reporting back in the future and would like to wear out a few more chains..........
My main motivation is as you say, it makes cleaning easier.
Maybe someone younger could take on the experiment:)
Well, may you wear out many more chains before hanging up you bike.

Reactions: D C and jackhandy

LordSnooty

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Lancaster
I have a 4-month old Raleigh Motus Hub Gear Ebike which has suffered from gear problems (slipping gears) since purchase. The chain snapped last week - Raleigh sent me an email stating that they expect the chain to be replaced approximately every 300 miles. With a bike advertised as being capable of long-distance commutes of up to 100 miles (I don't think my commute of 20 miles per day is unreasonable for an Ebike) that would mean changing the chain every 15 days at additional significant cost and downtime off the bike. I think that is absolutely ridiculous and is something which Raleigh should warn their customers about before purchase. I know that my gear problems probably contributed to the chain snap, but I'm just putting it out there that Raleigh expect a chain replacement every 300 miles. My previous Ebike (an Ave Hub Gear) with a similar system managed over 900 miles on the original chain.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have 8,000 miles on my Delite. All original parts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
3000 km on a cheap KMC bulk package chain.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I have a 4-month old Raleigh Motus Hub Gear Ebike which has suffered from gear problems (slipping gears) since purchase. The chain snapped last week - Raleigh sent me an email stating that they expect the chain to be replaced approximately every 300 miles. With a bike advertised as being capable of long-distance commutes of up to 100 miles (I don't think my commute of 20 miles per day is unreasonable for an Ebike) that would mean changing the chain every 15 days at additional significant cost and downtime off the bike. I think that is absolutely ridiculous and is something which Raleigh should warn their customers about before purchase. I know that my gear problems probably contributed to the chain snap, but I'm just putting it out there that Raleigh expect a chain replacement every 300 miles. My previous Ebike (an Ave Hub Gear) with a similar system managed over 900 miles on the original chain.
Wow! Every 300 miles :eek: I think what Raleigh told you was in error. The two problems you had with your new bike should have been dealt with by the dealer that sold you the bike. The adjustment on those gears are very straight forward. If setting it correctly did not cure the problem then a warranty claim must be made for a new gearset. As well as with the chain. The only way the chain could have broken, (under normal use) in 300 miles, is if it were defective. Again, warranty replacement.

I have a customer with a 2015 Haibike Full Seven. He has over 3,900 miles on his original chain and gearset. It is just about worn out and he is replacing everything, cassette, chain and chain ring this week. This is a testament to the proper care he takes of his chain and regular servicing. I personally get 3,000 plus miles on a chain and cassette but never have I streched that far.

The Motus is a great bike and you have some warranty issues. Once you are fixed up you should be able to enjoy it trouble free for many, many miles.

Cheers :)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Well, may you wear out many more chains before hanging up you bike.
This thread just got re-opened and we are both still here so the update after around 2000 miles is that I'm still on the original 2 chains and cassette with no signs of wear at all, (wish I could say the same for me).
LordSnooty, your chain should last much longer than that, I'm built like a Brick S house and often stand on the pedals to get up some of the hills in these parts.
May I suggest fitting a good quality chain, check the gears are adjusted properly, keep it clean and lubricated as you have been doing and it should last far longer than 300 miles.
Welsome to the forum.
Dave

Reactions: SRS and Emo Rider

LordSnooty

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Lancaster
The bike has already been returned to Raleigh (after 4 failed repairs by the dealer) and was returned on Saturday - a week without the bike - but after just over 2 miles on Sunday (first day of trying it after return from Raleigh) 4th and 5th gears started slipping again on a very moderate incline that even I can take in top gear with ease on a non-electric bike. I've had it with this Raleigh bike, so I've been in touch with the dealer to ask for a replacement bike or refund so I can purchase a different Ebike. Not had a response from him as yet. But I do have it in writing from a Raleigh Manager, in more than one email, that they expect chain replacement every approximately 300 miles. That's perhaps a good reason for not buying Raleigh in future. I have to say that the tone of Raleigh in their Emails is not what I would expect towards a customer who paid £2000 for an ebike and who has had nothing but trouble since purchase........................................

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The bike has already been returned to Raleigh (after 4 failed repairs by the dealer) and was returned on Saturday - a week without the bike - but after just over 2 miles on Sunday (first day of trying it after return from Raleigh) 4th and 5th gears started slipping again on a very moderate incline that even I can take in top gear with ease on a non-electric bike. I've had it with this Raleigh bike, so I've been in touch with the dealer to ask for a replacement bike or refund so I can purchase a different Ebike. Not had a response from him as yet. But I do have it in writing from a Raleigh Manager, in more than one email, that they expect chain replacement every approximately 300 miles. That's perhaps a good reason for not buying Raleigh in future. I have to say that the tone of Raleigh in their Emails is not what I would expect towards a customer who paid £2000 for an ebike and who has had nothing but trouble since purchase........................................
Something's amiss here.

A chain on a hub gear bike has a high line, always runs perfectly straight, and is never derailed, all of which adds to longevity.

The chain and sprockets on the Raleigh will be of similar quality to any other Bosch bike, so should last a few thousand miles.

I can't match Croxden's 8,000 miles, but my hub gear Rose/Bosch bike has done several thousand miles on its original chain.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
As Rob says, there's definitely something amiss.
I wonder if the chain fitted is too narrow and the cogs forcing the links apart? This happened to me once when I was sold the wrong chain, it's difficult to spot unless you are looking for it but the symptoms of jumping across the gears sound the same as yours.
I hope you get the refund you deserve.
Dave.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
As Rob says, there's definitely something amiss.
I wonder if the chain fitted is too narrow and the cogs forcing the links apart? This happened to me once when I was sold the wrong chain, it's difficult to spot unless you are looking for it but the symptoms of jumping across the gears sound the same as yours.
I hope you get the refund you deserve.
Dave.
The OP says Its a hub geared bike, so the chain should last for a very long time. Also, slipping may mean a problem with the hub rather than the chain.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

LordSnooty

Just Joined
Jun 20, 2016
Lancaster
Thanks guys. I've asked the Retailer for a replacement or refund, so I'll let you know how I go on and whether Raleigh give out any more information about the possible cause of the problem on this particular bike.

Reactions: D C

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had a genesis mtb (not electric) with affine 11 gears and the chain stretched mercilessly and there wasn't enough adjustment to take up the slack so became a problem. Whichever brand I bought they just stretched for fun

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Although my Delite chain has functioned without incident, it's more than the Haibike has done.

I had to renew the chain at 1500 miles as it did break on three occasions.

I have just had another failure at 2800 miles, this time I think the joining link came adrift and caught the guide on the silly jockey wheel and part destroyed that.

Without doubt, any replacement bike will have a Rohloff hub gear. So many once desirable hub motored bikes are now included out of list of possibilities.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Although my Delite chain has functioned without incident, it's more than the Haibike has done.

I had to renew the chain at 1500 miles as it did break on three occasions.

I have just had another failure at 2800 miles, this time I think the joining link came adrift and caught the guide on the silly jockey wheel and part destroyed that.

Without doubt, any replacement bike will have a Rohloff hub gear. So many once desirable hub motored bikes are now included out of list of possibilities.
I found the alfine 11gearing much too high.. what is the rohlof like

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I found the alfine 11gearing much too high.. what is the rohlof like
Alfine 11 gearing is high, I reduced mine on my Rose bike.

I also agree about the hub's quality, it doesn't have a bomb proof feel to it.

Madison/Shmano replaced mine out of warranty, which was good, but the fact it needed replacing says a lot.

On the same cogs and sprockets, the Rohloff has three lower gears than the Alfine 11.

I've done a 30-mile ride on Croxden's Delite/Rohloff.

It does have a quality feel to it, although I'm not keen on the twist shifter which I think they all come with.

Another Rohloff plus is some will take a quick release skewer, whereas the Alfine hubs all need a nutted axle.