Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I've just seen a monkey with a pair of wings

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I see a lot of people on here talking about their motorbikes and I'm wondering how many have motorbike licenses (not the 50cc entitlement on old driving licenses ;) ).
Do pedelecs attract bikers?

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
I see a lot of people on here talking about their motorbikes and I'm wondering how many have motorbike licenses (not the 50cc entitlement on old driving licenses ;) ).
Do pedelecs attract bikers?
I am Motorcycle rider (Honda vfr750) I was attracted to ebikes by a 6 month driving ban :( 2 years ago. The Honda is only used now on long distance trips over 30 miles.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I have a motorcycle licence. Maybe we bikers just have a disposition towards two wheel travel. I've had motorcycles most of my adult life, but I have to admit moving to 'twist and go' scooters now as a dodgy left knee makes gear changing very painful - its that hooking your foot under the gearchange that does it. Scooters are still huge fun though!

Last edited:

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Yo! One Life-long motorcyclist AND cyclist here.
Motorbikes = Two, a monster BMWR1150RT and a pristine 2003 Honda C90 Cub - (now a collectors item, the little Honda has achieved Iconic status).

Bicycles = several, for different disciplines.

And new from late summer 2008, now an enthusiastic e-biker too.
- if it's got two wheels I'll have me leg over it before you can say . . .
(However, still haven't given up desiring a Trice QNT recumbent trike).

In my defence I'm not a natural drinker, nor smoker (see what you can afford if you give up the addictions). Having no kids helps too, but that's just the way it is, rather than a planned life-style decision.

Oh, and then there's the car - but that's purely for carrying a considerable amount of stock, (employment), 3 days a week. I've never been without a car from age 17 onwards, and until recent years my car always had to be a high performance sports car - nowadays, cars bore the s##t out of me!

- The car, (an economical load-carrying hatchback), doesn't move outside of the aforementioned three days per week.

And all the bikes are used for . . . what?
- pure, unadulterated, pleasure, and secondly for shopping/ utility riding.
Fitness, cost-saving etc., doesn't come in to it - those are bonus benefits.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lifelong motorcyclist until four years ago. Started riding them illegally in the trade when I commenced work at 14 in those easy going long lost days of old, rode in competition in trials and scrambles (now Moto-Cross) in my late teens and twenties. Was a member of an army motorcycle team and also did a solo dangerous stunt routine on motorbikes. Makes me go cold thinking about that now!

When the last of the 60 limit roads for miles around my area changed to 40 limit, and with much of the South East all 40 limit now, I sold my last one four years ago since riding modern larger bikes is not a pleasure at low speeds. I see plenty of riders indulging in brief spurts of power between road obstacles, but I don't see the fun in that stop/go riding.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
. . . I sold my last one four years ago since riding modern larger bikes is not a pleasure at low speeds. . . but I don't see the fun in that stop/go riding.
I couldn't agree more Flec. Of my petrol-driven two wheelers, the huge Beemer hardly ever gets used; the planned summer-time European extended-jaunts never materialised. Just about everyone I know, wonders why the hell I haven't sold it by now. Given the choice, (for a fair distance out and back required in reasonable time ie., when bicycles are out of the question - I ALWAYS plump for the little Honda - it carves through city-centres like no other, and parks up unnoticed on the pavement just like a bicycle - traffic wardens saunter past oblivious. Sheer bliss.

P.S. At 6' 2" and 16/17 stone I do look funny on the tiny C90 Cub though - akin to the proverbial performing circus bear on a pushbike. But I just lurrve it!

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I passed my motorcycle test last febuary before they made changes to the new bike test i then bought a secondhand DL 650 suzuki but could not afford to keep a car and bike so the bike had to go but as summer beckons i might be tempted again :D :) Nigel.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Been riding a motorbike since I was 16 and now have a Triumph Sprint ST 1050. For most of my life - at least until kids arrived 5 years ago - motorbikes were my only form of transport.

I have ridden extensively throughout Europe with small incursions into Africa, thinking nothing of embarking on a 48 hour trip to some Alpine passes when the fancy takes me (that channel tunnel is brilliant!). On the other extreme, my longest trip lasted just under a year and involved an old BMW R80 with a tent strapped to the back. Buy me a pint and I will tell you some great stories; being woken in Serbia with a pistol two inches from my face and someone screaming at me being a particular highlight. :eek:

Traffic is fine here, particularly if I head a few miles over the border into Wales. I did a 200 mile return trip from Shrewsbury to Tenby last September and was staggered by the beauty of the roads and the almost complete lack of traffic. I suspect everyone else was following their Sat Nav while I followed the bendiest roads on the map. Magnificent.

Best of all, my wonderful wife has her own bike (an XJ600) and our honeymoon consisted of a month - you guessed it - touring Europe on a bike (this time a 1993 Triumph Trophy 1200).

To the initial question and yes, there is no doubt that motorbikes pushed me in the direction of my Torq. It seemed so natural and it probably also explains my strong preference for a throttle and a hub motor.

nin26

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2008
Poole, BH16
I was a die-hard biker ever since I was old enough to ride one - I only learnt to drive a car (under sufferance) when I had kids. I sold my beautiful little 80's 400cc Japanese import Ninja to buy my Windsor because my knee is shot and I wanted to go out cycling with the kids and build my knee's strength up a bit by cycling to work. My other half is a biker too, but he's moved onto a 400cc Suzuki Burgman scooter after he got knocked off his VFR 750 by a blind prat.

We're thinking of getting a cheap summer weekend toy though because we're both missing the thrills (but not the spills) of a proper bike.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Motorcycle licence holder since the age of 18. Never been a fan of large bikes - 500cc was plenty powerful enough for me (I was a lightweight) unless carrying a pillion.

I have tried various forms of two wheels over the years including scooters (broke down all the time). The Cytronex suits me at the moment - keeps me fit and not much slower into Central London than a scooter/bike once you have found somewhere to park. I still think that a scooter/bike is the safer option - I am getting pretty hacked off with being skimmed by cars, busses and lorries.

Not having to worry about getting points/losing a licence is an addition bonus about riding a bicycle. A colleague got three points when a policeman perceived them filtering at the wrong point - cannot be bothered with that.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I still think that a scooter/bike is the safer option - I am getting pretty hacked off with being skimmed by cars, busses and lorries.
I can assure you Harry - 2009 and whether big motorbike or small motorbike it doesn't make one iota of difference, they still 'skim' :mad: , clip, :( and cut you, :eek: it's unrelenting - the bas###ds!!

If I could be assured of only a suspended sentence I'd strap a ruddy SAM missile launcher to my bikes. (They must be going cheap now Hamas have settled up with Israel). And I'd use it! Not to kill you understand, just to blow their vehicles to bits, with me laughing maniacally at their indignant faces as they start to mouth: 'Here, you can't do that'.

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I can assure you Harry - 2009 and whether big motorbike or small motorbike it doesn't make one iota of difference, they still 'skim' :mad: , clip, :( and cut you, :eek: it's unrelenting - the bas###ds!!
See bicycle.... must overtake...see bicycle...must overtake at all cost! Sometime it can get quite amusing when they are so busy trying to overtake they don't actually look ahead and see the stationary traffic...screech whoops.

I get your point but I still maintain that you are less likely to have the ridiculous overtaking manoeuvre when riding a motorbike/scooter.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I get your point but I still maintain that you are less likely to have the ridiculous overtaking manoeuvre when riding a motorbike/scooter.
There are still problems. People on big bikes get bored because of the speed restrictions. On a 125cc scooter you get the scenario where you catch a car at a 10mph closing speed, move out to overtake, the car driver decides he doesn't want to be overtaken by a scooter and increases his speed by 10mph :eek:
Seems you just can't win!

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Hi

Also a lifelong motorcyclist. Currently have a BMW R1100SS (boxer cup model), plus my trial bike (Honda CRF230F) and my Enduro bike (Gasgas EC300). Gave up off road competition a couple of years ago, but still have the odd foray of road...
I find cars a bit of a bore too. went to he electric bike as way of getting fit again, after I felt my job was taking over my life and I was starting to get unfit - it's now my regular way into work. I also found it really therapeutic, after being signed off work for a while with a stress disorder a few years ago. Getting out on the bike was the best form of treatment going (getting in the car (with a load of kids :eek: ) was the worst......).

Phil

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
(getting in the car (with a load of kids :eek: ) was the worst......).

Phil
Some years ago the government's Road Research Laboratory were asked to suggest what the one single biggest improvement to road safety would be.

Their answer was, putting the car driver in a separate compartment, London taxi style.

Apparently there's a huge difference between the accident rate of cars with driver only and those with passengers.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I've been riding motorcycles since I was seventeen. If you take into consideration the time I rode pre-licence (off road) then I started at fourteen.

I’ve owned a number of bikes over the years.
Suzuki A100 (1978 - my first bike). Sold it for what I paid for it five years later – big end was gone.
Suzuki GSX250. Scrapped it after smashing it and myself up when a dog hit me (ran into the front wheel and flipped the bike) – dog was ok.
Suzuki FZ50 Shopper (yes it had a the naf basket at the front) – Scrapped after seizing the engine.
CZ175 (1973 model) – Great old bike. Used to stink of petrol all the time. Smashed the gearbox twice (it was a reversed box). Sold it and it ran like a dream for the new owner.
Honda C90 (1982) – Nephew bought it from me and seized it (scrapped).
Yamaha RD200 (1973) - Had twin leading shoe drums for-runner to disc brakes. Rebuilt engine and sold it on due to limited space.
Honda 250 Super dream (1980) – Broke my arm falling off this one. Eventually traded it in against a non-running Honda CX500.
Honda CX500 (1980) – Rebuilt bike and engine (shaft drive, brilliant). Kept her for nine years, longest time I ever kept a bike. Sold her running.
KMX 125 - Rebuilt it including rewire. Used for the odd run up some green lanes. Sold running.
Present bike is a Kawasaki VN800 Classic (bought new 2002) – Harley looks and the most comfortable bike I’ve ever had. Six years old and under 5000 miles on the clock. Unfortunately, the chrome work takes two hours to clean, which is why she only comes out with the sun.
Adly Scooter - Latest purchase Nov08, Twist and Go 125cc – Just got it and waiting to get it on the road.

Last edited:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Apparently there's a huge difference between the accident rate of cars with driver only and those with passengers.
No problem believing that one!!! - if they measured that stats I bet those with a load of young kids on board would be at the top of the list. Explains why a couple of our local school bus drivers recently went through a spate of hitting everything that moved (and a few that didn't :eek: ).
Maybe that's the appeal of motorcycles, especially those without a pillion seat......:D

Phil

PED-AL

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2008
I have ridden Motorcycles most of my life on and off road and have covered thousands of miles mainly on 1000cc BMW flat twins and ridden competitive motorcycle trials for 25 years on machines from early Bultaco's, Beamish Susuki's, 4 stroke honda's etc, to the latest Beta, Aprilia, Gas Gas and Sherco machines.
I have a Ducati Monster S2R and a BMW R850R that I ride in the summer months on dry days ( I had my share of cold wet and mud during my Trials days).
I think once you have ridden motorcycles it is very difficult to give them up, just having them to tinker with is a big part of the pleasure and the odd country ride makes it all worth while.
Two wheels are about freedom and I believe that my e-bike will give me more of it.

Allan

Last edited: