How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: mountainsport

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
100k/60 mile ride to and from the downs today, from the A23 traversing over to the Adur was fairly bland with the terrain being totally open. Traversing the route was either flint bridleway/track or some grassy bridleways in the valleys with a few quick down hill sections. Some of the quick (25/30mph) sections on the flint laden loose surface is not for the faint hearted and on a couple of occasions was prepared to bail out but went with the flow leaving the brakes
alone not wanting to invite a face plant on the rough surface. Stupidly I left my keys at home :oops: this I didn't realise until I went to swap the battery over, I had locked it in place. So had to ride the 23 miles or so home unassisted from the Fulking Escarpment :eek: ( No not a misprint just a location name). Quite cloudy, windy and murky today it did brighten up a bit early afternoon.

View to Newtimber Hill.
DSCF0115.JPG

Murky view over to the Fulking escarpment and Truliegh Hill.
DSCF0114.JPG

Bike pic
DSCF0119.JPG

And location of bike pic by the trees in the valley from a far.
DSCF0121.JPG

https://www.strava.com/activities/416310869

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherman and EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Very nice. I love the bleak landscape that forms parts of the SD.

I know what you mean about the flint descents. Add a bit of wetness into the equation, and it's certainly becomes icy and scary.

Looks as though the weather was kind to you as well. :)

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some of that bleak landscape will at some time be invaded by wind turbines, contractors up there today laying cabling for them to the South of Beeding Hill and notices placed west of the YHA and down at Bushy Bottom adj to the Monarch Way track. Certainly a lovely place to get away too, only saw one biker today a local chap on the SDW on his 28" wheeler. Although a bit far away for a pic the view going down to Bushy Bottom of Shoreham Airport, Lancing College and the Channel was nice.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The college is certainly an amazing building. I've yet to ride that specific area, but really should get around to it. Amberley is a brilliant one to ride from, but obviously not a realistic start point unless taking the bike by car, which by memory you aren't keen on. Something that I can understand.

Sadly my free time is very restricted at the moment, as giving up my workshop and clearing it, is taking more time than I had thought that it would, but I'm thinking that I might try something a bit different at some stage over the next few weeks, and go from somewhere like South Godstone to say Borough Green and back.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Had a very late night ride yesterday, and took along with me a light that I had for some reason not used for a year or so. A Fenix BT20.
I'd not realised just how good that this light is, when compared with the cheapo Cree lights. It isn't that it is brighter, it is the spread of the beam that makes it so good. It has once again become my light of choice.

The ride wasn't overly great last night, as I just couldn't really get into it.
Night time is my favourite time to be out on a bike, but last night I was well and truly spooked. I gave all of my usual riding areas a miss, and even then I didn't enjoy things. Over time, many people have said that I must be mad riding where I do at night time, and many people that I know, won't even venture out on their bikes into woodlands etc after dark. Pretty crazy really, given the 'most' people are tucked up in bed. That was pretty much where I wanted to be last night as well, and couldn't get the ride over quick enough. It seemed a very oppressive night last night, and only the second time that I can recall feeling like that about a ride. Very odd.

Just one poor quality phone photo.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
down a litre of this, make it interesting lol

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Did an 85 mile ride out on Tuesday including quite a bit of the C2C route in the Derwent Valley and even some of the local pitheaps.
Was going to meet up with a fellow forum member but he had to put some overtime in at the end of his nightshift so we will do the Chopwell Woods ride another time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/416778508

Reactions: EddiePJ and Nealh

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Had a very late night ride yesterday, and took along with me a light that I had for some reason not used for a year or so. A Fenix BT20.
Looks like a good light. Can the lamp unit be swivelled left and right once mounted on the handlebars?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It can indeed, and stays exactly where you point it.

What I would say though is that the video is slightly misleading. The light is quite yellow when compared with cree lights, and I don't know how they achieved that whiteness.

The one downside that I have found, is battery life. It only uses two 18650 3100mAh rechargeable batteries, and as most of my night rides are between 3-4 hrs, you have to go prepared to either swap batteries, or use a back up light.

Given the cost, I'm not so sure that I'd recommend that anyone buy one though. I really like it, but it might not suit everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fordulike

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
It's been a bit quiet on here recently with Soundwave out of action an EddiePj's workshop clear out. I haven't been out for a while with family commitments and work problems however nice day today so I made time and did my regular 22 mile route. The vicious nettles have all but gone but had to turn back on one lane as the horses have made it unrideable with 6in of churned up mud, the new rear mudguard was good and kept me clean but the front one has been sacked as it rattled badly. 2015-10-25 12.40.38.jpg 2015-10-25 12.40.38.jpg 2015-10-25 14.08.09.jpg 2015-10-25 14.31.44.jpg

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well that was one very wet and muddy ride tonight. It was a tough choice... Go out into the pouring hard rain and fog, or stay in the warm. As usual the bike won. :)

The Hutchinson tyres impress more and more with each ride, and the fenix BT20 is now my firm favourite light. It does eat batteries though, but have now bought a spare set.

A quick shower and a couple of bottle of Fullers Honey Dew to finish the evening. :)

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The Hutchinson tyres impress more and more with each ride
I'm considering the Hutchinson Toros. Can get a pair for 29 quid including delivery. The Schwalbe Land Cruisers just don't cut the mustard in the mud.

Last edited:

Advertisers