How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have a Haibike AMT Pro also, I hadn't considered the suspension settings so i'll take a look at that and reduce the pressures on the tyres to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for the input :)
As Lumos has already said, suspension is obviously a factor, and tyre pressures are just as important. It could simply be that you are running them too high.

There are other factors as well, and your own riding style could also be affecting things.

It could well be that after having a 'few moments' on the bike, that mentally you are defeated before you have even started, and any nervousness will come back to haunt you where you are the most uncomfortable. Even having a mental block towards the tyres can be bad news.

It could also be that you are simply going too fast for your own ability, or are loading the front end of the bike too much on the entry into the corners.
A different discipline, but when I was racing GP250 I had a very bad habit of loosing the front end of the bike mid corner. I recall being ordered up to the race control tower for a lecture about my riding style, and how it did not suit a GP250 bike. I was simple entering to late and fast and placing undue load and pressure on the front end, which frequently resulted in me binning the bike mid corner.

What I'm getting at is that it might not be a bad thing to go back to basic, slow everything down and just ride the corners at a slower pace, rebuilding your confidence and speed over a period of time. Try to look beyond the corner, rather than focussing so much on the current one, plan where you want to be, scrub your speed down before the entry, and ride smoothly through and around, and make sure to stay off the brakes. It could well be the braking that is unsettling things. This point was made very aware to me again on the race circuit, during a race training day. We were made to ride lap after lap without using brakes, increasing speed as the time passed by. An easy thing to do on a 4 stroke that had engine braking, but a real bastid to do on a GP250
2 stroke, that has no engine braking.

So chill, relax and slow things down, set the suspension to your weight, check and possibly lower the tyre pressures, and even possibly change the tyres if you find them still a mental block.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpezElec

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Just two from tonight's 4hr session.

I didn't really feel up for riding tonight, but went out anyway. It was surprisingly bloody cold as well! We tried a few new routes tonight, which proved to be very good, but we also became pretty much lost at one stage.

I certainly see some very odd things when out at night time. The discovery in the woods that wasn't at all nice early summer, then last week whilst out in the middle of nowhere on my own, I came across two guys with blue torch lenses, and tonight it was one person with a red torch lens. I guess that on both occasions, that they were up to no good, but I didn't hang around to find out.
A few months back, I also came across someone else, again in the middle of nowhere at night, but this guy had a portable generator, an incubator, and lights. I must admit that on that occasion I did circle back around behind, found their car some distance away, filmed it, and reported what I had seen.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

bebbe

Pedelecer
Oct 17, 2014
Just two from tonight's 4hr session.

I didn't really feel up for riding tonight, but went out anyway. It was surprisingly bloody cold as well! We tried a few new routes tonight, which proved to be very good, but we also became pretty much lost at one stage.

I certainly see some very odd things when out at night time. The discovery in the woods that wasn't at all nice early summer, then last week whilst out in the middle of nowhere on my own, I came across two guys with blue torch lenses, and tonight it was one person with a red torch lens. I guess that on both occasions, that they were up to no good, but I didn't hang around to find out.
A few months back, I also came across someone else, again in the middle of nowhere at night, but this guy had a portable generator, an incubator, and lights. I must admit that on that occasion I did circle back around behind, found their car some distance away, filmed it, and reported what I had seen.
Hehe.... around here I mostly see wildbore on my night rides. Sometimes that could be interesting enough [emoji28]

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

need a new light asap 1 i got rubbish seems even worse now in the middle

Westoe

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2015
NE12
Tanfield railway near gateshead
Sometimes get that way myself.
Cycle down to North shields Ferry and cross the river to South Shields.
Up through Jarrow and pick the Bowes incline railway route at Monkton then all the way to Tanfield Railway. Back down through Sunniside and the Teams to the river and along the river to home. Nice ride especially down from Wrekenton to Lamesley where you can really let the bike go; but then it is a solid climb all the way up through Kibblesworth to the Railway.
I will look out for you - nice video.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
made vid a bit better but not much, skip middle as cam came lose

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Sometimes get that way myself.
Cycle down to North shields Ferry and cross the river to South Shields.
Up through Jarrow and pick the Bowes incline railway route at Monkton then all the way to Tanfield Railway. Back down through Sunniside and the Teams to the river and along the river to home. Nice ride especially down from Wrekenton to Lamesley where you can really let the bike go; but then it is a solid climb all the way up through Kibblesworth to the Railway.
I will look out for you - nice video.
thanks,you will never know we cross our paths.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Where was the vid taken?

I think we are in the same area, so I fancy having a go at that track.
Does look interesting up that way. I've never travelled that far west along the C2C.
Would need to do some serious battery power management, if I were to do a round trip to the area SpezElec shows in the video. If it's as far as I think it is.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
You're a braver man than me riding on the one way system before the Alex bridge. That road system is a complete mess :eek:
thats take practice,seriously that my route on road bike if I am coming from newcastle/gateshead area,I use the downhill bit to get momentum and line up far left to get the Alex,just like in a car,when I am riding on busy roads or on any road I just behave like normal driver of a motored vehicle,but on bikes I always sprint up,full gas up the bridge to halfords on the left and right on pallion high street, on my bbso1 I still sprint up but obviously faster.

SpezElec

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Does look interesting up that way. I've never travelled that far west along the C2C.
Would need to do some serious battery power management, if I were to do a round trip to the area SpezElec shows in the video. If it's as far as I think it is.
yeah, I have done 50 miles on one full charge that with the mix of level 3 assist and level 5 on climbs and I climbed 2400+ ft on that trip on way back and the battery is on its last leg,I have also did a previous trip of 60 miles and not that much climb, my pack is 14.5 amps for Eclipsebikes,so if you have a spare a Century to hexham/hartside cafe on C2C is doable even up to the Lakes is doable.:)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Day off tomorrow so whilst the weather is dry,damp & overcast and there has been no serious rain for over week decide to go up on to the S/Downs. Probably cycle to Clayton/Pyecombe and then head west to Beedin via various tracks down to the A27. Must remember to takmore pics this time.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Please forgive any image size cock up. I'm trying a new site.

I've had a couple of night rides this week, but no opportunities for photos. This mornings ride wasn't really that great, as there were just too many people out and about. I much prefer night riding, when everyone is tucked up indoors. Trying to find somewhere else to ride, I also got caught out riding where I shouldn't have been, and wasn't about to argue with a game keeper holding a silenced rifle! All good stuff.

Also had a bit of result yesterday. My fingers have really felt the cold this week, and my current gloves were all but worn out. I happened to be in our local agricultural merchants, and spotted these. Cheaper than dedicated cycling gloves, padded for strength, toasty warm, and even the right colour!

Here is a bit of a dull uninteresting clip, showing my closest off road route. I'm pretty lucky in that I don't have to travel very far in order to be off road. The section from the stream at roughly 4.40 marks the boundary of the 500 acres of private woodland that I have to play in. Even in here today, there were several walkers, and horse riders!

I'd normally ride down this one at night time, but decided that just for a change I'd ride up it, and in day time. At night time, you really have no idea of where the track goes, which kind of adds to the fun of it. Forgive the two near over the handle drops towards the end. Horses have made the two holes deeper that they were a week or so ago, and they caught me out. First at 3.30. It is also another place that shouldn't have had any dog walkers 1.13 point

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A very nice play ground Eddie :( so near to home as well.

Advertisers