How to replace an e-bike tube without removing the wheel.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Indeed, online information is transient. You could post this again in a months time and find more who didn't know about them.
Know about what?

Bigdaddyuk666

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2015
Leicestershire
I personally think slime is great I ride a haibike sduro hardnine rc with racing Ralph's and slime inner tubes got a second hand tyre for nothing so decided as I already swapped my rear to the front due to tyre wear so took tyre off to swap and there was a little slime between the tyre and tube so I checked for sharp bits in the tyre and there was 2 thorns one at 1.3inch and 1 at 1 inch but couldn't see from exterior of tyre so I think they they had been in a little while as I noticed my pressure had dropped a tiny amount as always I just fully deflate clean hole rough up and slap a patch on and have had 500 miles since lol

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Just spent £34, i was only three miles out and on the way back home.

My tyre was deflating, i was using a mini pump and i inflated and next thing you know a whoosh of air and the tyre totally deflated, i took the bike into a field near a river, the intent was to fix a puncture, turns out the valve area was ripped and useless, luckily a house was close by.

I think the issue was that i caused the rip by my pumping action using the mini pump, i have read you have to be careful using a mini pump.

CST made in China tubes are what is fitted to my bike, i am just wondering to myself why i spent additional money on Schalbe tyres and yet neglected spending on a better tube, pondering this question a lot.

I do not want to remove the wheel to put a new tube on, i actually cannot, its the back wheel, what are peoples opinions on these tubes, can i use them long term, are they better than CST and are they painless to fit?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I changed mine in situ, without removing the wheel. You just have to loosen the wheel-nuts, slip the old one out, and the new one in. The tyre doesn't need to come out of the tail forks. It's easy enough with a bit of fiddling.

DSC00420.JPG
DSC00427.JPG
DSC00429.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: tommie

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
I know of them, but have never used them myself.
Trying to read up on these tyres, a lot of people saying they are useful for getting home if something like your valve rips but not long term.

Looks like i will have an expensive time getting a new tube fitted.

:EDIT:

If i am going to get a new tube, should i consider tubeless tyres, how do tubeless perform.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get a Gaadi in there.
I now use one all the time in the rear of my Boardman as the rim isn't TL ready. So far to date I haven't had any issues and it copes well with speeds above 20 mph.
I find when fitting a little air in it helps however if seating tyre is a little hard let it out.
Most Gaadi's are Presta though you can get Schrader in some sizes.

Reactions: Mal69

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
Trying to read up on these tyres, a lot of people saying they are useful for getting home if something like your valve rips but not long term.

Looks like i will have an expensive time getting a new tube fitted.

:EDIT:

If i am going to get a new tube, should i consider tubeless tyres, how do tubeless perform.
I used a 20 inch Gaadi inner tube for about 6 months, because I didn't want to have to take the back wheel off my bike (which had a drum brake, massive pain). It was fine, it punctured eventually, which was probably more to do with the crappy stock tyres I was running at the time - I reckon it could have lasted much longer.

• Informative
Reactions: Mal69 and LeighPing

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
I am going to get a Gaadi to carry around with me for emergencies.

What i want to do is get some Schwalbe tubes, one for the front, one for the rear, then change the current Schwalbe Energizer Pro Tour tyres to the stock Marathons which have no wear on them and i think should provide similiar performance to the tyres i currently use.

Question to those in the know.

Bike tyre says 28x1.40 and 700x35c on it, what tubes do i need to buy and is there any tubing out there which comes with tougher valve bits so i never tear that part again or are they all much the same.

Any other tubes recommended or once again, all much the same ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both sizes equate to the same 28 is imperial 700 is metric. 1.4" is near as damn it 35mm.
700c x 35c is the more common size you will see listed or you might see 700 x 28 -40c or similar.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Mal69

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Both sizes equate to the same 28 is imperial 700 is metric. 1.4" is near as damn it 35mm.
700c x 35c is the more common size you will see listed or you might see 700 x 28 -40c or similar.
So the tubes will say 700x35c and thats correct, no small or larger, i want to make sure i order correctly as i cannot buy at the shop so its an online purchase

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Mal69, which site did you get them from ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
So the tubes will say 700x35c and thats correct, no small or larger, i want to make sure i order correctly as i cannot buy at the shop so its an online purchase
No sorry I quoted wrongly, too late in the evening !!
Tyre are marked 700 x 35c, a tube to fit that tyre will be 622 x 35 or you may see 622 x 32/37, though sometimes you do see the size as 700x 35.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Mal69

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Just spent £34, i was only three miles out and on the way back home.

My tyre was deflating, i was using a mini pump and i inflated and next thing you know a whoosh of air and the tyre totally deflated, i took the bike into a field near a river, the intent was to fix a puncture, turns out the valve area was ripped and useless, luckily a house was close by.

I think the issue was that i caused the rip by my pumping action using the mini pump, i have read you have to be careful using a mini pump.

CST made in China tubes are what is fitted to my bike, i am just wondering to myself why i spent additional money on Schalbe tyres and yet neglected spending on a better tube, pondering this question a lot.

I do not want to remove the wheel to put a new tube on, i actually cannot, its the back wheel, what are peoples opinions on these tubes, can i use them long term, are they better than CST and are they painless to fit?
There should be no problem fitting a Gaadi if you get a puncture. No need to remove the wheel (or loosen it). Pull out the damaged inner tube and tie it up out of the way (so the puncture can be repaired later). There is usually a way of tying it up out of the way of any moving parts. Feed the Gaadi into the tyre. Inflate (which is much easier using one of those small CO2 canisters) and off you go. I usually take the Gaadi out when I get home, deflate it and roll it up ready for the next time I need it. Repair the punctured inner and refit. Simples!

Reactions: JimRides

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
No sorry I quoted wrongly, too late in the evening !!
Tyre are marked 700 x 35c, a tube to fit that tyre will be 622 x 35 or you may see 622 x 32/37, though sometimes you do see the size as 700x 35.
I have been looking at several sites and cannot seem to find Schwalbe tubes that fit, can you point me in the right direction, i would prefer Amazon but any will do, i cannot seem to find the right size on the Halfords site.