How to replace an e-bike tube without removing the wheel.

I saw that but wasnt sure about the 28” listed as my wheel is 27.5 i think, maybe splitting hairs there lol

Thanks.
There is a lot of confusion about wheel sizes, especially as road bikes, MTB and hybrid all use different numbers to describe identical size wheels.

But yes, you'll be fine with 28" in a 27.5 wheel. Especially as 27.5 wheels aren't actually 27.5"... that was just a number which fitted nicely between 26" and 29" for MTB to get their heads around, because they didn't like 650b.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I saw that but wasnt sure about the 28” listed as my wheel is 27.5 i think, maybe splitting hairs there lol

Thanks.
According to your earlier post your tyres are 28 inch /
I am going to get a Gaadi to carry around with me for emergencies.

What i want to do is get some Schwalbe tubes, one for the front, one for the rear, then change the current Schwalbe Energizer Pro Tour tyres to the stock Marathons which have no wear on them and i think should provide similiar performance to the tyres i currently use.

Question to those in the know.

Bike tyre says 28x1.40 and 700x35c on it, what tubes do i need to buy and is there any tubing out there which comes with tougher valve bits so i never tear that part again or are they all much the same.

Any other tubes recommended or once again, all much the same ?

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
The tubes?

I have not bought yet, i am looking at Amazon or may try a local Halfords.
Sorry, missed your reply but yes it was the tubes I meant. I see there are replies below but thanks anyway :)

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
Hello all, I've had my bike for 2weeks now and had my first puncture yesterday. I pushed the bike home and took the rear wheel off in my garage, then repaired the puncture in the kitchen. It was so hard to find the site on the tube, even submerged in water in the kitchen sink,that it made me wonder how I would have found at the road-side. Removing and replacing the rear wheel was a bit laborious and I struggled getting the wheel back on to the bike and I was thinking 'I don't want to be doing this too often' . This looks like a good option to me and I've just ordered one on-line. cheers all

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Mine just arrived, will probably fit later tonight or tomorrow afternoon, before the football comes on, will try the Gaadi before the Schwalbe.

I also got my Schwalbe tubes too, it says on the instructions, five bar pressure, what is this ? What is five bar pressure on a tube ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also got my Schwalbe tubes too, it says on the instructions, five bar pressure, what is this ? What is five bar pressure on a tube ?
1 x bar is 14.5038 lbs per square inch, it's the normal atmospheric pressure, hence barometric pressure.

So your 5 bar is 73 lbs per square inch.

Tube pressure isn't critical though, it's tyre pressure that counts.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
1 x bar is 14.5038 lbs per square inch, it's the normal atmospheric pressure, hence barometric pressure.

So your 5 bar is 73 lbs per square inch.

Tube pressure isn't critical though, it's tyre pressure that counts.
I know that but i am wondering why they list 5 bar in the instructions for the tube, tyre should be minimum 60psi.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I know that but i am wondering why they list 5 bar in the instructions for the tube, tyre should be minimum 60psi.
Simple some tyres can go 80 - 100psi.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Understood, it's the permeability of the rubber used. A compromise as always, this time between flexibility and gradual air leakage. Run that tube at 100 lbs and it would need frequent topping up.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Okay so if the tube can do 73psi and the tyre recommendation is 55 to 85 psi its obvious the tube cannot handle the maximum of 85psi, both are Schwalbe too, or am i wrong about this?

The Schwalbe tyres were loose from their packaging, not sealed, bit worrying for me, i like to know i am getting brand new.

The Gaadi tyres which i am going to try first do not have a recommendation for maximum pressure.

I guess i am confused, tyres ask for a minimum pressure but will pumping air to that minimum pressure be a problem for the tubes, i have been running at 60 to 65psi and feel okay riding the bike at that pressure.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I guess i am confused, tyres ask for a minimum pressure but will pumping air to that minimum pressure be a problem for the tubes, i have been running at 60 to 65psi and feel okay riding the bike at that pressure.
60 to 65 lbs will be no problem, I run my Schwalbe tyres at that sort of level, and it's well within the tube spec.

In any case the tube maximum isn't a critical thing, being above the limit by 10 lbs or so wouldn't precipitate a sudden loss of pressure. It would just mean tyre pumping time could come a day earlier.

Reactions: Mal69

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Okay so if the tube can do 73psi and the tyre recommendation is 55 to 85 psi its obvious the tube cannot handle the maximum of 85psi, both are Schwalbe too, or am i wrong about this?

The Schwalbe tyres were loose from their packaging, not sealed, bit worrying for me, i like to know i am getting brand new.

The Gaadi tyres which i am going to try first do not have a recommendation for maximum pressure.

You are overthinking this. Put whichever tubes you want in, blow them up and ride your bike. Loads of people blow bike tyres up with pumps with no gauges, just press with their thumbs till they feel firm.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
You are overthinking this. Put whichever tubes you want in, blow them up and ride your bike. Loads of people blow bike tyres up with pumps with no gauges, just press with their thumbs till they feel firm.
When i was younger i just blew the tyres up, felt by hand but that was a normal bike, i just feel with an electric i have to worry about the spokes and rear wheel more, its always on my mind, when younger there is no fear, getting older theres more fear that something will go wrong when you are riding at high speed so i just want to get everything right.

Reactions: flecc

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
When i was younger i just blew the tyres up, felt by hand but that was a normal bike, i just feel with an electric i have to worry about the spokes and rear wheel more, its always on my mind, when younger there is no fear, getting older theres more fear that something will go wrong when you are riding at high speed so i just want to get everything right.
Yeah I understand that, maybe I should have put a smiley in my post ;). I have seen first hand what can go wrong when you get too complacent. It can go wrong very quickly. The best answer is to develop a 'feel' for what is right, don't push too hard when making changes etc, you soon know when your tyre is a little under or your spokes are a little loose.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
8ADBFD81-02B7-48A0-BB6D-9447B7244243.jpeg Small problem, its as expected a little too big for the wheel, what do folks suggest i do, it looks a little bulky to try and add to whats already there.

Pic enclosed.

Another problem, maybe a problem, i ordered presta valves, it looks totally different to the fromt wheel and i am thinking, have i made a mistake, would be there a problem fitting a different valve type?

Last edited:

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
View attachment 25681 Small problem, its as expected a little too big for the wheel, what do folks suggest i do, it looks a little bulky to try and add to whats already there.

Pic enclosed.

Another problem, maybe a problem, i ordered presta valves, it looks totally different to the fromt wheel and i am thinking, have i made a mistake, would be there a problem fitting a different valve type?
Cant remember what mine looked like but, if you ordered right size of Gaadi (i.e. equivalent size to the inner that was already there), then there shouldnt be a problem. (Maybe pumping it up will sort it all out?
As far as "wrong valve" is concerned, that shouldn't be a problem

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Cant remember what mine looked like but, if you ordered right size of Gaadi (i.e. equivalent size to the inner that was already there), then there shouldnt be a problem. (Maybe pumping it up will sort it all out?
As far as "wrong valve" is concerned, that shouldn't be a problem
I don’t know tube size for what was already on the wheel, as far as the CST ones which came with the bike but i dont recall them being 4.2 inches over the wheel size, they seemed to be a good fit.

Just measured on the floor, the tube is 83 inches long.

Just checked Schwalbe tubes i also bought, roughly 79 inches, taking into account i just lay them flat and double the measurement.

Would seem i need exactly 700x35cc and not 700x32/37.

The problem is, thats a bit of a margin, i dont know how that is fitting on this wheel without bulging out, i tried getting it in but without pumping up first.

As for the presta valve, its smaller than the rim hole but the nut solves that.

The actual wheel says 700x16.

Many edits as i went to measure.

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Mal what you are saying about wheel and tyre / tube sizes doesn't make sense. First you tell us you have 28 x 1.4 inch tyres aka 700x35. Then you tell us you have 27.5 but your rims are 700x16. 27.5s fit on 650 rims not 700!