How to replace an e-bike tube without removing the wheel.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Mal what you are saying about wheel and tyre / tube sizes doesn't make sense. First you tell us you have 28 x 1.4 inch tyres aka 700x35. Then you tell us you have 27.5 but your rims are 700x16. 27.5s fit on 650 rims not 700!
I dont have a clue lol

Okay i checked tyres and Oxygen site and they both say 700x35c.

The problem is the Gaadi tubes are 4.2 inches bigger than wheel and the Schwalbe tubes ( which will require wheel loosening to fit ) look like a perfect fit, after measurements the Schwalbe is around 4 inches shorter.

The wheel has 700x16 listed inside the rim area.

But i want Gaadi should i get a puncture and cannot fix at roadside, so i need a Gaadi that is shorter but fits 700x35c.

Reactions: chris_n

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I dont have a clue lol

Okay i checked tyres and Oxygen site and they both say 700x35c.

The problem is the Gaadi tubes are 4.2 inches bigger than wheel and the Schwalbe tubes ( which will require wheel loosening to fit ) look like a perfect fit, after measurements the Schwalbe is around 4 inches shorter.

The wheel has 700x16 listed inside the rim area.

But i want Gaadi should i get a puncture and cannot fix at roadside, so i need a Gaadi that is shorter but fits 700x35c.
Give a link to the Gaadi you bought.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Fit one tyre bead, put a little air into the tube and then fit the second bead. Inflate slowly and everything should be ok. I doubt a little overlap would cause any problems but the chances are as it inflates it will expand to fill the outside diameter of the tyre. It would be considerably worse if there was a gap with no tube wouldn't it!

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Fit one tyre bead, put a little air into the tube and then fit the second bead. Inflate slowly and everything should be ok. I doubt a little overlap would cause any problems but the chances are as it inflates it will expand to fill the outside diameter of the tyre. It would be considerably worse if there was a gap with no tube wouldn't it!
I am having problems with my mini pump now, nothing but issues lol

Never used Presta valve before, but i am putting it on the valve, nice and tight, i can pump a little then it feels like air is being stuck somewhere because it gets very difficult to pump, too difficult, the pump will not go down more than half way, like air is stuck somewhere, it feels like pressure and this happens with tyre empty and only eight or so pumps of air put in.

Got an SLB minipump, it came highly rated, not sure what i am doing wrong, saw this happen occasionally when using with Schrader too but i could fix that, its frustrating.

I am thinking of heading to Halfords on Monday and getting a Co2 device and some cartridges.

Last edited:

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Did you open the presta valve? You have to unscrew the knurled bit before it will inflate.
That explains why the pump wouldnt work.

I pumped them up a little as per the video, they are still too big for the wheel, it overlaps, nothing like in the video where each end meets, i will de inflate slightly later and try again and see if they can at least serve a purpose on getting me home but i doubt i can inflate these to even 30psi never mind 55psi which in turn would make them a bit useless in my opinion.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bloody hell Mal, your like and old women on this one !!
Mountain out of a mole hill comes to mind.

If the Gaddi is 700c it will fit, the ends overlap approx. 3" / 75mm and work perfectly in a 28" or 700c rim.

I use them with no problems in my 700c exal 19mm rims.
Pump up tube a smidge insert in to tyre/ rim, refit tyre on to rim and pump up as normal, check ends have met and no gap felt thru tyre.

If you have Presta instead of Schrader use a grommet in the valve hole or a wrap of amalgamating tape round valve stem base.
If you have Schrader pump get some little brass valve adapters a great little item to carry with pump or kit.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Brass-Adaptor-Presta-To-Schrader-Bicycle-Valve-Converter-Bike-Pump-Connector/401552401544?epid=879224085&hash=item5d7e636488:g:xRoAAOSw60NbMe42

Fully undo Presta valve end, screw on adapter and pump as normal, remove adapter carefully do up valve job done.
Adapter is perfect as it prevents bending thin valve is you are ham fisted and prevents a air loss., what can be easier.

• Agree
Reactions: chris_n

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have normal tubes if you pump them up outside of a tyre they will not only fit a 28" / 700c rim they will fit a much larger rim, maybe a penny farthing.

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Ha, you might be right that i am making a big deal out of it but....

Its a huge worry, twice now i have been stuck miles out in the countryside, these tubes overlap, won’t the overlap cause a bulge in one part of the tyre?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use the Gaadi full time in my rear hub Boardman no lumps or bumps, cant' see the point of a normal tube if you are going to have to tie it up, what a faff.
Gaadi in and one as a spare for me.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What pressure do you run the Gaadi at ?
50 - 60 psi same as a normal tube.
With normal tubes for rough ground I find that pinch punctures were quite regular if underinflated. So far none yet with the Gaadi.

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
I don't know if I'm a bit late here, but when I used a Gaadi tube, it looked as though it was going to be far too big before it was inflated (big overlap between the two ends), but once it was pumped up it fit absolutely fine. Just make sure the two ends abut each other properly before you start inflating.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh