How to secure your e-bike

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
Hello everyone

I recently purchased my first electric bike (Cyclamatic CX1) which was stolen from inside my house two days later. :-(

I purchased a second one and I am not taking any chances. I've taken the following security measures:
1. One chain lock (Sold Secure Gold for frame/front wheel)
2. One D-lock (Sold Secure Gold for frame/back wheel)
3. Bike alarm (https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTERDO-Wireless-Taillight-Mountain-Waterproof/dp/B01LYUR1I8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487792223&sr=8-1&keywords=bike+alarm)
4. Install motion-activated WiFi camera in my kitchen where I keep the bike overnight.

Anything else I can do to protect my e-bike?

I'll also buy bike insurance as soon as possible and always tether the bike to an immovable object inside my house (probably the radiator)

Thanks

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Nearly impossible if some git really wants it. Perhaps keep the wheels and saddle elsewhere? It's catching the scrotes is the problem :mad:

Gaz

PS: Mine's protected overnight by Tim:

And I've got the alley at the side of my house covered by one of these:

(Wishful thinking :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
Saw a cartoon years ago of a biker with a crocodile chained to his motorbike, the caption was "I call him padlock"

Reactions: Hugh

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
I'll use the bike alarm indoors (as well as both the chain and the d-lock). If anyone tries to move the bike, it'll go off and wake the housemates.

Also, I'll have the motion-activated, WiFi camera communicate with my PC and sound an alarm (on my PC) when motion is detected.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

May cost you a bit in food... :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Never worried about securing bikes when stored in the house. Might start locking them together now I've got something more expensive.

Looking at an Oxford Alarm-D Midi (Sliver rated) for use when i'm out. Won't be leaving it unattended all day, just for popping into shop, pub etc. when i'll still be in hearing range of the alarm. If riding into work I can keep bike inside office.

House is already quite secure:
  • Good door locks (got after upvc lock snapping spate in area)
  • Alarmed
  • Restricted access to back of house and overlooked by neighbours all round.
  • Bike hidden away from view.

Reactions: LeighPing

Toecutter

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Kent
Incredible that the original posters bike was stolen from INSIDE the house, is nowhere sacred?

No lock or chain is much good, thieves have18v power tools now, they don't need to grind through a lock or chain they use a Re-bar cutter.

I do chain my bike up & i use an audible alarm & a tracking gadget I also remove the battery & take it with me, hoping a bike without a battery isn't so tempting to a thief.

Toecutter.

minime

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2017
Hull
I purchased the following:

1. Kryptonite New York Standard Lock with FlexFrame Bracket (Sold Secure Gold)
2. Kryptonite keeper chain (Sold Secure Silver)
3. OUTERDO 3 in 1 Bicycle Wireless Taillight Cycling Alarm Bike Light Mountain Bike Bell Tail Light USB Charging Waterproof (taillight and anti-theft alarm).

I am now looking for a tracker of some sort, preferably one that notifies me when the bicycle is being moved.

Could you recommend something?

Thank you

tringmotion

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
GB
A ground anchor is the way to go rather than the radiator if you want it immobile

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk