hub motor design & torque

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, range is either unaffected, or more likely slightly increased, possibly by around 10 to 15%.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Jed said:
yes, come on guru Flecc spill the beans. we are getting impatient :D
Now, now Jed, I know how you feel, but we'll just have to be patient :D: all in good time; genius can't be rushed! ;) Anything good in life is worth waiting for (except traffic lights of course) and I'm sure all will be revealed when the job is done & not before, and quite right too :D.

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Too much to explain, it'll have to covered on site pages, and you'll need to be sitting down and have smelling salts handy! :D

Let's just say that amongst other things, it really goes, it really stops, and there's no judder. And now I'm just off to frighten a few more motorists like the one who respectfully followed me for over a mile and half earlier. :D

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
apparently there has just been a news report on the BBC about an unidentified flying object near Croydon :D

thanks
Jed

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
flecc said:
And now I'm just off to frighten a few more motorists like the one who respectfully followed me for over a mile and half earlier. :D
Now you're talking!! Q Wheelies and now turbopower... you could get something of a reputation flecc, if you've not already! :D ;)

My olbas oil is to hand, now just wait for rain to keep you in & updating those web pages.... ;)

Stuart.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

All right guys
i confess it was me on the torq under bean:eek: power:) hey flecc has any one shown intrest in the Q bike yet may be ezee they should:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just shock at the cheek of it! :D

50cycles will have a fit and eZee could be even more determined never to speak to me again as they don't already.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
moving swiftly on.... :rolleyes::D I've seen a couple more torque curves for motors with a high geared reduction ~10:1 & hence high rpm, relatively low EM torque, and they all seem to exhibit the same behaviour (mentioned previously) of low rpm loss from the max efficiency rpm, with increasing load, before point of maximum torque i.e. max torque at a relatively high rpm/speed compared to higher EM torque motors, so weakening their hill performance...

Another quick design question then: for a quality hub motor with good EM torque, to be put in a 26" wheel would you expect a difference in performance in mixed hilly/flat terrain between:

2) fairly low geared reduction to ~270-280rpm for ~ 20mph @ say 36V, with a high current limit of ~20A to give higher torque @ lower speeds

1) higher geared reduction to ~200-215rpm for good speed & torque up to ~15-16mph @ 15A current limit, with a higher voltage limit & battery e.g. 24-36V or 36-48V to enable speeds up to ~20mph?

That is, from a design point of view, is it better to choose gearing & torque of motor for 15mph, then extend top speed by "overvolting" if wanted, or to gear for 20mph while boosting lower speed torque by increased current limit?

I realise both are compromises between speed & low-speed torque with hub motors, but how well can either work i.e. how much efficiency loss & with what limitation of use to retain efficiency?

I'd have thought that for use on hills and with moderate speed use (little more than 15mph normally) ease & efficiency suggest to gear lower & overvolt for speed (lower current limit = less heating too?); whereas if you're likely to maintain higher speed, with only minor slopes at worst, higher gearing
with high current for torque might suit better, but at expense of heating risk and range reduction under load on steeeper hills?

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
P.S. I forgot to say: the question isn't just theoretical, since I think one of the 2 types above has been done, but the other seems equally viable?

I just wish I had the technical skills of some here, to be able to build or shape my own bike! :D still, if quality hub gears, geared for 26" wheels @ 15mph, were available and didn't cost the earth or weigh a ton, I'd probably give it a go! There's still the front/rear motor issue though... and bike styling...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I agree with your conclusion Stuart, this one is what I'd choose:

" higher geared reduction to ~200-215rpm for good speed & torque up to ~15-16mph @ 15A current limit, with a higher voltage limit & battery e.g. 24-36V or 36-48V to enable speeds up to ~20mph?"

Assuming you can obtain the appropriate voltage controller.

Where you put the motor depends on the uses for the bike to some extent.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Yes, I think I'd choose that one too.

So, the only additional thing to design in really (other than a good quality design & build motor, with good efficiency) is to either ensure the peak torque occurs at a speed well-matched to the peak power output, or vice-versa i.e. ensure the peak power output is proportional to the speed at maximum torque, to enable good hill-climbing... which way round is that best designed, do you think? I suppose the usage is a big factor, like with the cycles maximus example! But for more usual bikes...? Is either hill-climbing or speed performance/efficiency necessarily compromised by hub motor design, or can a good balance be struck (and then used with a high capacity, fast charge Li battery for good range & ease of refuelling :D)?

I'll post a question about stretching frames & fitting hub motors in the T bike thread :D.

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the choice is always to enable good hill climbing Stuart, given the very low powers that we're dealing with on electric bikes.

The only exception might be for a speed machine that would only be used in a flat area. (with a half blind police force. :) )