Huge problem help!

ncrukrepairs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2007
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i couldnt see an appropriate spot for it.

Has anybody bought anything of Electric Scooters, electric bikes, electric bike kits, electric trikes, electric sea scooters, ebike's and petrol scooters are all available @ PowerScoots.

last sunday i bought a currie electro drive off them and so far i have not received any contact from them or the item. I received a confirmation email from worldpay stating that the payment had gone through and thats it!

calls to their 0870 number leaves me a message saying that "unfortuntately we cannot accept calls at the moment, please email us" Which is have about 50 times with no response, to EVERY one of their emails listed on their site.

Also calls to a mobile number on their site states that the phone is off all the time.

Im starting to get worried that they have taken my money and ran. :mad:

Short of going the registered address in central london (live 13 miles away)

I have no idea what to do !!

Somebody help me with some ideas etc

Thanks for your help its much apprecited in advance.

Alex

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I have no personal experience of Powerscoots but they have been around for some time and I can't imagine they've lasted that long if it's a scam.

If you paid by credit card you will be covered for any loss by the card company.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Alex, If I were you I would go to see them with your receipt as you are only 13 miles away.
If you paid with credit card your money should be recoverable even if they have done a runner.
Perhaps you should contact Worldpay.
If you don't get any joy, next step could be Trading Standards.
Good luck,
John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As Ian said, Powerscoots have been around for quite a while. Many internet based companies tend to operate at arms length with the poor customer support that often accompanies that (hence the attractive prices), so there may be no problem.

Bearing in mind the time of year, it wouldn't surprise me if the principals of the company were on holiday and behave just as if nothing has happened on their return. Such behaviour is far from uncommon in the internet world.

Even one of the most highly respected names in this industry, also a major Currie supplier, has been the subject of this sort of complaint, and it took me a month to contact him once. He also operates on a mobile number and doesn't answer emails at times.

You won't lose any rights by hanging on and relaxing for a week or two, if they've run they've run, and time will make no difference, but the likelyhood is that you're ok, and you have the credit card protection on items over £100.

Last edited:

ncrukrepairs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks very much for all your help guys.

I cycled there today, and rang on the buzzer to which there was no response, l eventually got somebody to let me into the building then prcceded to knock on his door. Then a guy from a couple of units down came out and said that he hasnt seen him (george) for about 3 weeks and that somebody else came looking for him aswell.

I gave this very kind guy my contact details and what i had orded and he said that if he saw him hed tell him i stopped by.

hmm I understand that I will probably get my money back incase something happens but its still a bit dodgy.

sigh

Thanks again

Alex

C

Cyclezee

Sorry, but I would not be so patient as some who have responded to this post.
I would report this matter to your local Trading Standards office ASAP Alex. They may have received other complaints regarding this company and will help persue the matter.
It would be interesting to know if anyone on the forum has actually bought anything from them?
Please note what A to B say about Powerscoots "More serious player of late, but hard to pin down".
I personally, would suggest a boycott by forum members until they get their act together and provide customers with a good service. THE CUSTOMER IS KING!

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Hang on a minute, the order went in last Sunday! That's four working days ago! Obviously the lack of contact is not ideal but let's not be too hasty. Give it fourteen days (ten more) then send a formal letter demanding the product within seven days or your money back otherwise further action will be taken.

Cheers,

Django

Martinm

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
I ordered a battery from Powerscoots a few months ago. It took me ages to receive the item - which i might add was not the battery they had been advertising. All the time it was me chasing them and they never answer their phones.....had sent numerous emails - only started getting replies when i mentioned trading standards.
Personally i would never deal with them again, my last email i had from them they said ....

I do apologies for all the inconviniences, however we are trying our best to
stay in business.

With their customer service i can see why they are struggling to stay in business !

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
As Django says it's only been four working days, and while same day dispatch is common these days it certainly shouldn't be taken for granted. The fact that the company has premises at the address they quote does suggest they are bona fide, it's quite likely to be a one man business as many internet mail order companies are and as Flecc says it possible the principal is on holiday, or even a business trip to China!
As Django suggests leave it for a whle before taking any action, after all they are not yet in breach of contract or guilty of breaking any laws.

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
I've used Powerscoots twice in the past.

I actually bought my Currie Motor from them, amazing service I called in and placed my ordered, got a very nice and helpful chap and it arrived with-in 2 working days.

Then I ordered my batteries from them a few years later, just to place the order was a nightmare - I had to phone a few times coz the person I got couldnt deal with taking orders. I think they took just short of a month to arrive.

Maybe they just don't have the people there that they once had, and its the people that make the company, they are the ones that give the service and information and keep the company reputable in the customers eyes.

I would use them again, but only if the product I needed was not available anywhere else.

Maz

C

Cyclezee

Oops, rattled a few cages, maybe that is what it takes to get some action!
There is no excuse for lack of communication in this day and age. Even if the owner is in China, or anywhere else on the planet,there are plenty of Internet Cafes and telephones to keep in touch with business at home.
Time for Powerscoots to respond?
John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it might not be best service to not acknowledge an order John, but like others I'd remind that it's just four days! Many of us in this forum ride bikes supplied by a very well known name who sometimes don't acknowledge orders and take two to three weeks to supply at times. I've personally waited two weeks without acknowledgement for a supply from them. In other words it's not uncommon.

The simple answer is not to deal with them again, but if only the suppliers who acknowledge orders and supply goods immediately are dealt with, it leaves one's options very restricted indeed. It's in the nature of the internet that it lends itself to one person or one family businesses, and minimal staffing leads to all manner of problems re. illnesses, holidays etc.

As for keeping in touch with one's business and customers when on holiday, in what way is that a holiday???

And it's not just small companies. I've just completed an over one month wait for a UK dispatched item ordered from and supplied by Amazon, the largest in their field.

C

Cyclezee

;) I understand what you say Flecc, but if the shop is closed for holidays or any other reason, then it should put up a sign to say so, whether that be on the front door, telephone or internet.

Incidentally, I drive to work past Amazon's UK headquarters and warehouse on my way to work; it is mega humongous, handles millions of items and employs about 30 different nationalities. Hope you get what you are waiting for soon!
John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks John, I have received it at a couple of days over the month.

I agree about a website notice of absence, but they'll never do it of course simply because it will cause customers to buy elsewhere. It's the downside of online credit card use that one can pay an absent person, so they take advantage of that fact.

It's difficult to know who to deal with, but the things I'm wary of with small outfits are these:

Mobile phone only.

No address and/or telephone number on a website.

Huge number of makes and models being sold, indicating no possibility of a proper knowledgeable backup.

If any of these are evident I do an online search for feedback on past service given, and that often throws up answers. If two of them are evident, I won't trade.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I think I'd be a bit upset if they process a payment, if they're not actually there, or not going to be putting the order in for awhile, and you have no feedback.

I think, overall though, feedback is absolutely essential, and is the bare minimum of service one should expect.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
trading over distance

Thanks John, I have received it at a couple of days over the month.

I agree about a website notice of absence, but they'll never do it of course simply because it will cause customers to buy elsewhere. It's the downside of online credit card use that one can pay an absent person, so they take advantage of that fact.

It's difficult to know who to deal with, but the things I'm wary of with small outfits are these:

Mobile phone only.

No address and/or telephone number on a website.

Huge number of makes and models being sold, indicating no possibility of a proper knowledgeable backup.

If any of these are evident I do an online search for feedback on past service given, and that often throws up answers. If two of them are evident, I won't trade.
I agree with you Flecc: it's unnerving enough to trade with someone you cannot relate to (physically) - read nothing 'naughty' into that.
I will not buy on the 'net where there is no terrestrial address.
Mobile Numbers for trading are a conception of the devil.
And the absence of an answer to an enquiry puts me right off.

One has to be firm with oneself. Do not fall in love with a product that so blinds one to the obvious or even the sceptical that one loses rationality.
Caveat emptor is hardly enough.
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Law and Common Sense

As Django says it's only been four working days, and while same day dispatch is common these days it certainly shouldn't be taken for granted. The fact that the company has premises at the address they quote does suggest they are bona fide, it's quite likely to be a one man business as many internet mail order companies are and as Flecc says it possible the principal is on holiday, or even a business trip to China!
As Django suggests leave it for a whle before taking any action, after all they are not yet in breach of contract or guilty of breaking any laws.
What price a system that gives the customer confidence?
1. Mail a question to their website - wait until you get a sensible answer. Draw a conclusion.
2. Customer orders the goods - pays by Credit Card (there should be no other way).
3. Supplier responds the next working day confirming order details and quotes a delivery date ex Stock. If not in stock advises customer when delivery can probably be made - if the delay is longer than one week give customer the opportunity to cancel the order and get his money (plastic) back.
4. Why wait 14 days - then send a letter and wait another 7 days - then tell Trading Standards and wait another ...what ...month? Go round there and grab him by the throat t.

A sole proprietor should not swan off to China and leave no one with authority in charge of the store. As for taking holidays, that is preposterous. You are either in business or not. You customers owe you nothing until you have come up with the goods.

Actually one could do this at number 1 to test the authenticity of the business if it is practical.
To say "we are struggling to stay in business" is honest but does ring Alarm Bells. Check whether or not is a Limited company. The law is complex but the Directors might be using delayed delivery to repay the Bank Overdraft (because they have accepted personal liability for it from the bank) before they call in the receivers (you must remember those Furniture Dealers who continued to take deposits after the business became insolvent, not to mention the Christmas Parcel Trading/Savings company (last Autumn) that rerouted millions into their parent company's project, who lost the lot - And the Directors walked away with their lovely fat pay cheques and, if I recall correctly, made their escape in their sea-going yacht when the paparazzi started to hound them).

Am I cynical? Nah!

Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But I'm a realist, and this is the world of internet trading.

We all know what should happen, but there's no point in concentrating on what should be when it's a trading environment which makes irresponsible trading so easy. All we can do is take whatever precautions that are open to us and put up with the problems, or only buy face to face through shops and pay the price penalty and restricted choice that brings. That face to face trading all too often brings even worse service of course, since there are some excellent online companies, and I regularly trade with a number of those who give superb service.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
As a representative of of a company supplying a service and as a customer receiving a service It has been my long experience that hasty complaints rarely achieve the desired result, keeping it informal and friendly nearly always results in a far more satisfactory solution leaving both parties happy to trade again. Ranting and raving may appear to get things done but most of the time it results in the minimum action necessary to get the customer off the traders back. Remember those whose make a fuss in restaurants are the ones who's food the chef spits in.

The customer may be king in the high street, but in the case of harder to get items there is little point in antagonising the sole supplier of what you need.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Satchmo!

As a representative of of a company supplying a service and as a customer receiving a service It has been my long experience that hasty complaints rarely achieve the desired result, keeping it informal and friendly nearly always results in a far more satisfactory solution leaving both parties happy to trade again. Ranting and raving may appear to get things done but most of the time it results in the minimum action necessary to get the customer off the traders back. Remember those whose make a fuss in restaurants are the ones who's food the chef spits in.

The customer may be king in the high street, but in the case of harder to get items there is little point in antagonising the sole supplier of what you need.
"What a wonderful world"!

I've had some. Starting off friendly and informal got me an acknowledgement, that's all.
Advising them of the complaint (its only a word that describes it exactly as it is) got no response.
Making the complaint formal (what one must do if one is to protect oneself) received a dismissive response laced with a few .........well chosen words and a lie (call it misinformed if you want to be 'friendly and informal').
Offering other solutions, many times so that one could get satisfaction was totally ignored - it was not going to be a matter of negotiation.
Persisting with the offers eventually got the response: "What do you want from us?", followed by "I am trying to sort out the wood from the trees here".
Did he begin to feel like a victim rather than a customer with a genuine ....er....well...complaint.
When the nice customer continued to do business with the Company (is he mad? you are asking) and bought a substitute new bike, (two, in fact), it was delivered to him in an opened box, with parts missing, with a Used Battery which had been installed on the bike and switched on and left switched on for the 5 days that it was in transit. He was not so sure, under the circumstances that the bike itself was not a "slightly used demonstration" example.
He 'mentioned' that in correspondence to the supplier. It was too risky and costly to return the cycle/battery to such a supplier.
To date, he has had no response from the company who continually create "glitches" and "typos".
This all started, he believes, when he asked some searching questions about "Guarantees", as they used to be known but have now become "Warranties". Search for a nice rounded Guarantee/Warranty (whatever) on their website and see if you can find it. 5 words is hardly sufficient. When he asked for something in 'writing' he was told " the Guarantee is at the point of sale (what does that mean?) and can be printed off if required".
He was promised a key, that was not supplied with the bike, on this Forum, openly. He is still waiting.
It is not an answer to quote how many satisfied and ecstatic owners there are out there. One's own experiences are the REAL TRUTH.
Peter