I cycle on my bycycle

Rolf

Just Joined
Dec 3, 2012
Hallo , here I am , a newcomer , just call me Rolf :) .
I enjoy cycling on my ordinary bike , participate on longer distance courses in the Netherlands with my racing-bike ( e.g. 250 km) , and like pedalling the pedelec of my wife . At this very moment I'm interested in information regarding the torque sensor technique used in the Panasonic centre motor . There is a 3 - wire connection from a centre-tapped coil to the control unit . Does anyone know details of the input and output signal(s) to / from the torque sensoring device ?
Ciao , Rolf
IMG_6001.jpg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The only thing I can tell you is that distortion in the amorphous alloy sleeve through which the pedal force is transmitted sets up a disturbance in the magnetic field. Since the two hatched areas on the sleeve correspond with the two halves of the split coil, I assume that an imbalance between the two sides is measured to indicate the degree of force applied.

I don't know the actual signal level applied to the coil's 78 Ohm halves.

Rolf

Just Joined
Dec 3, 2012
Thanks for your reaction . The individual coils show indeed 78 Ohms resistance . What I would like to know is , which DC and/or AC ( frequency ?) current/voltage has to be applied at the terminals . Then I intend to apply a definite torque in order to see whether I can in this way discover an imbalance in the currents of the coils . If you know a different method of testing the unit , please let me know !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The above is all I know about it's function Rolf. I've never attempted to either run out leads to check the signals or set up a test rig to try the torque sensor under load with the unit opened up. As you'll appreciate, that's not an easy thing to do and I'm just content with the the way it works so well in both the old and new type Panasonic units.