I got my e bike on Thursday. Stealth 1000w

Elecric Ed

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2017
Southampton
Delivered on Thursday. Contacted cyclotricity and rode round there. They sorted my problems and were very helpful and friendly.
One concern i have is that after 20miles the lcd display shows empty but the battery leds show only one led off. Does this mean that i have enough power for another 40 miles?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Elecric Ed

May 7, 2017
Southampton
Sorry i said 1off which means 2green on.
Thanks for the reply. I,m going from newbury to reading tomorrow to see how it goes.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi Ed

I have the same bike. I would completely ignore that battery indicator, it means nothing on mine, and have read same from others. My battery has been virtually flat, measured with a meter, and it has shown all lights on the battery indicator

• Informative

Elecric Ed

May 7, 2017
Southampton
Thanks for the reply andy. So if my lcd shows no battery level at all and my indicator on the battery shows 2green leds have i got enough for 20 miles.
I am only on my first charge and realise that i have to run it flat and charge it fully 3times to condition the battery.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
The one on the battery seems totally pointless if Im honest...and I have had 2 batteries and they have both been the same.

The indicator on the LCD display is not much better...Cycloctricity seem to claim that the LCD indicator is to do with the loading on the battery at the time you are looking at it.

The only way of getting a good idea is to measure the voltage of the battery when fully charged..and then you can work out how much is left by re measuring the voltage after you have used it a while...I cant remember the calcualtion. think its something like a 1 volt drop is 10% of the battery but hopefully someone will confirm that.

I have found the best method of gauging is to start using lower power....hope you get to where you are going and turn the power up slowly each time....that works for me on a fixed commute, but might not help you to do your battery conditioning.

• Useful
D

Deleted member 4366

Firstly, you don't need to condition the battery in any way. It's a lithium battery. just use it and charge it.

Secondly, 20 miles is pretty good for one of those. you won't be able to go much further unless you did those miles on level 1.

Your battery has massive sag when you use full power. That means that the voltage drops down by an amount that's proportional to the power you use. That means that it's difficult to get a meaningful gauge of how much charge there is in the battery. It could be 30% full, but when you open the throttle for full power, the voltage will immediately drop to the cut-off point. The only way to use the remaining charge in the battery is to reduce the power to a lower assist level. Even then, it'll soon get used up.

• Useful

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Just to add regards range....
Im about 82kg

With the bike in 250watt mode, I can do a flattish 15 mile commute averaging around 17mph. cruising at 20 on the nicer parts using level 4 and 5 assists. The battery just manages that before dropping off.

If I put it in 1000watt mode, I wouldnt plan on doing more than 10 miles if I wanted to get home. Good for a bit of a blast, but not much else

• Agree

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Agree with others here, 20 miles with juice left is pretty good for that set-up.
Shows that your battery, at least for now, is in good condition.

Elecric Ed

May 7, 2017
Southampton
Yes thanks for the replies. I have now put the battery on charge. I paid for 2 yr guarantee and cyclotricity say that the battery is covered.