I made the leap and left the battery at home.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've been meaning to ride to work on a normal bike for ages and I took the plunge today on a 25 year old ladies shopper, shock of shocks it wasn't difficult or slow. I was expecting to be a knackered heap after 10 miles and need the train to finish the journey, instead I felt fine when I got to the ferry.
There's no way I could have attempted that last summer, I probably couldn't do it 5 days a week now and I certainly wouldn't want to do it in winter when my muscles don't work so well but it felt good today. :)
I may think differently after I have ridden home this evening and my legs hurt. :eek:

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I've been meaning to ride to work on a normal bike for ages and I took the plunge today on a 25 year old ladies shopper
Did the 25 year old lady know you were taking her bike? :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Although 'not slow' I bet it was slower than the wisper.

Ultimately, I think that you put exactly the same amount of effort into riding an e-bike as a normal bike.. you just go faster and further and look better getting there :)

Having done much of my ride down to Eastbourne with the power off at the weekend, I went out on my e-bike last night and used max power all the way... Joy of joys - I felt turbocharged.. Up hills and down dales.. it was all effortless. Bliss!!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Although 'not slow' I bet it was slower than the wisper.

Ultimately, I think that you put exactly the same amount of effort into riding an e-bike as a normal bike.. you just go faster and further and look better getting there :)

Having done much of my ride down to Eastbourne with the power off at the weekend, I went out on my e-bike last night and used max power all the way... Joy of joys - I felt turbocharged.. Up hills and down dales.. it was all effortless. Bliss!!
It was slower but nowhere near as slow as I expected, it also didn't help that I was stopping to make adjustments every now and then. The trip home will be a better comparison.
I found I had to remember to pedal harder as it is very easy to use the same effort at a slower pace, it didn't feel anywhere near as quick as the Wisper but the journey time seemed not much longer. If my company ever get on the cycle to work scheme I might try a Cytronex bike, it could be just the ticket now I'm fit enough.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Surely this is the ideal use of an E-bike. For people who have no real reason for why they can't cycle, apart from a lack of fitness. The E-bike builds them up to the confidence and fitness level to start using a normal bike.
So when after a couple of years when the battery starts failing, and faced with a £415 bill for a new one, normal cycling seems a lot more appealing and accessible.

Charlie.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
I agree, Charlie. I regularly ride a non-assisted bike but I wouldn't have done so had I not built up my fitness on my ebike. I wouldn't be without an ebike but its nice to have the option of a fast road bike as well now. Maybe you will be upgrading the shopper bike, Mussels!

Last edited:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
I made the leap and left the whole bike at the shop.

My ebiking has been limited to a few days - which I enjoyed - before the kit and bike started to part company. This has been written up elsewhere - thanks again for the help, folks.

But... the very idea of having an electric bike has had a mysterious effect.

While waiting for it to be sorted out, over the past few weeks I have been riding around thinking, hmmmm, when I get the electric one back, I could turn the throttle here... and here, and here, and so on. As I have been doing this, I have been getting fitter and I can now go up hills which before I couldn't.

When I finally get the bike and kit back, I will actually need it less anyway...

Last edited:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
An interesting thread this.
I too have recently made the jump back on to my hybrid for commuting. I tried this a year ago and quickly gave up again as negotiating the hills on my local commute near enough killed me. The e-biking has done the trick however and thanks to my Wisper, I can now manage the hills OK. I certainly know when I've done it - it is harder work and slower going home, but going to work (net downhill) I can match the ebike time on a good day.
I have now settled on the routine of using the Wisper on Mondays, loaded up with all my stuff for work (incl. changes of clothes etc.) which I leave at work, using the Wisper to collect and return them on Fridays. Tues, Wed. and Thurs, I commute on my old(ish) hybrid. Works well for me and I'm definitely getting much fitter (plus a little slimmer :) ).
I now never use the Wisper throttle and force myself to use pedelec only, plus I switch off the electrics on the flat and minor inclines as well as the downhills. I find it now takes me less time to charge the battery after a return trip to work than it used to after a one way trip. I have to say I'm well chuffed about this and very pleased to thank the Wisper for getting me back to this point - I wouldn't have got there any other way.
Incidentally Mussels, I too have had thoughts along both the Cytronex lines and ones of changing my hybrid for a decent road going bike. I s'pect I'll end up doing the latter and keeping the Wisper for the loads, winter etc. A little research and a long chat with some genuinely experienced experts at my LBS has convinced me that the way to go regarding a road bike is to buy a cyclocross bike. They are tougher than road bikes. built to take the rough and slippy stuff, whilst still being light weight. Most are also better geared for the hilly areas. I have been looking at the Specialized Tricross Sport, which seems to tick all the boxes for me (approx. £789-00). I reckon that when (if) I'm find myself a little more 'flush' I'll very likely find myself investing in one....:D .

Phil

Last edited:

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I've been thinking along these lines as well. I very nearly bought a Specialized Tricross 2008 earlier this year. They were selling brand new for a remarkable £270. They sold out fast! Single speed though so I would have had problems with hills and I'm sure my knees would have given me hell.
I think the designed e-bikes Wispers and Kalkoff etc are superb machines. I don't see much point to the expensive full on electric scooters as they currently stand. For anyone who really enjoys cycling, can handle the terrain and traffic, and wants some decent exercise you just can't beat a good quality human powered bike.

The Cytronex has got me back into cycling really well. It's been an excellent purchase. The nice thing about these "normal" bikes is that you can cycle them unassisted if you choose and put in as much effort as you're comfortable with.
A Wisper and a Tricross sounds like a great plan to me Phil. Maybe you can trash that rude loudmouth cyclist without "cheating".:D

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
It seems there are a few of us in the same position.

A year after starting with the Mistral it is just about retired and is only used when I really don't feel like it or when when the canal tow path is just too muddy for the MTB. I just don't like arriving at work caked in mud so the Mistral is fine for the roads.

I collect a new Boardman on Sunday via the Cycle2Work scheme, the high spec Hardtail . Fitted with Conti Race Kings and bar ends it'll see me right for the commute and some off roading, it only weighs 24lbs. The scheme is fantastic, with an rrp of £1000 it costs just £583 after adjustments to NI and income tax, I feel like an MP !

The Mistral was invaluable at getting me back into exercise despite disc problems and femural nerve dysfunction ( no feeling above the knees ).

Electric bikes should be provided on the NHS to assist recovery from injury, the return to fitness and weight loss.

Did my third MTB marathon two weeks ago, I've got two more to come and a 47mile lap of the Mary Townley Loop in September. Cycling has provided me with opportunities which would not have been there were it not for the Mistral.

It's a shame that many regular cyclists view E Bikes with a degree of disdain due to ignorance and an odd snobbery. Some poor chap on a road bike felt he had to pedal like bu$$£ry the other day when he saw I was on an electric. I followed behind for a few miles until a downhill when he was able to race away, he wasn't even able to speak to me despite my friendly hellos when we stopped in traffic. It's still an odd world.

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
Can I add to the statistics.

I had not seen this thread until a few minutes ago. I have just come back from the swimming pool to which I cycled on a 30 year old push bike - it is five miles away / ten miles return and I completed 30 lengths there - felt i could have done more but did not want to push it.

Now that I am back at home I don't feel too bad at all. Mind you I paced myself slowly.

This is the second time I have done this by manual bike.

I have swum once a week for the last nine years travelling there by car. Ocasionally done a Wisper journey there but don't like leaving the bike there.

I would never have contemplated this had I not been commuting with the Wisper for the last 18 months. That has certainly built the fitness up enough.

It just seems to be so strange that the reality for a number of us is:-

Buy an electric bike - lose pounds, lose inches, get fitter, save money.

It will be interesting to see whether this ever creeps into an ebike sales campaign!

John

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Great thread! After having commuted for 6 months by electric bike I've now been using a non-electric for 18 months.

Phil, cyclocross bikes are this years fashion in the bike shops! However it may not be exactly what you want as they tend to have more of a racing geometry (steep seat tube angle, short chainstays and toe overlap) and may not have clearance for fatter tyres and mudguards. Also it may not have the really low gears you need for Cornwall.
From what I recall, that Specialized one has had some decent reviews but people who have liked it have mentoined those points (esp toe overlap) and also a problem with brake judder from the carbon fork.
I'm sure its not a bad bike but if I were you I'd try a touring bike (eg Ridgeback Voyage/Panorama, Dawes, or Raleigh Royal) before committing. One of those will have low gears for hills, a longer wheelbase, be set up to take mudguards and 37+ mm tyres, no excess toe overlap or brake judder problems! However they're not fashionable so not many shops stock them...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It just seems to be so strange that the reality for a number of us is:-

Buy an electric bike - lose pounds, lose inches, get fitter, save money.

It will be interesting to see whether this ever creeps into an ebike sales campaign!

John
Some while ago 50cycles used to stress these benefits of e-biking as a sales point but seem to have put less emphasis on them recently.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
A Wisper and a Tricross sounds like a great plan to me Phil. Maybe you can trash that rude loudmouth cyclist without "cheating".:D
Well, we live in hope... .
Took the plunge today and ordered a Tricross single form my LBS. They are building an Alfine 8 speed hub into it with a J-Tek bar end shifter...It will be a little less flexible than a derailleur (and harder work on the steep hills :( ) but less maintenance, muck etc. plus the ability to start again on hills without the hassle caused by cars cutting in front on the lanes, then squealing to a halt immediately when they encounter the oncoming tractor.....:eek:
The Wisper will continue to give sterling service when I'm either too Kn******d, carrying heavy loads, or not wishing to do battle with high winds and driving rain (OK, maybe I'll defect to the car if too much of the latter ;) )
I look forward to another encounter..........

Phil

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Well no dithering there. Straight in with order! Sounds like a very nice purchase and should build up those calf muscles a treat. :)