soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: huskie69

huskie69

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2017
Wales
Maybe it's non-comparable ... but I've never had any issues with 700c road bike wheels ranging from buget wheelsets up to the carbon stuff - sticking a few more KGs over the backend surely can't affect it that much? I'd expect an MTB wheel to withstand much more that an ultra-light wheel

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the stock wheels they come with are not very good tbh esp the cheaper models.

the extra waight and power from the motor will brake them to a normal bike.

huskie69

Jul 17, 2017
Wales
I can't find any specs for the specific wheels or bike I've got, but here's a similar (Haibike) that states the max load is 120kg - I'm coming under that most of the time and I'm sure that's just a guide weight and they could easily take >150-170kg without being affected structurally.

Thanks for the link soundwave - it does make me wonder if the increased torque means eBike's require specific wheels (like they do tyres). I'm up to speed (>20mph) a lot quicker than I would on my 7kg road bike so there must be a lot more force at play here

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the 120kg limit is the frame imo but as you have found no spec for cheap wheel sets.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My regular not-electric semi-decent hybrid bike (700c x 35 at 65psi) has Mavic rims and DT Swiss spokes... My very similar style but much cheaper £1000 Chinese hybrid e-bike uses generic (again 700c x 35 at 65psi) Chinese wheel sets.

Carrying my 115kg weight over road and generally smooth off-road paths, typically 18-25 mile routes, I need to re-inflate my tyres before each ride, and fettle spokes on the Chinese e-bike every 100 miles - maybe once every 250 miles on the Mavic/DT Swiss wheeled bike. No major adjustments, but the slightest nudge of the wheel (a stone, odd tree-root, minor pothole) and the tyre loses 5-10psi and the spokes don't twang like they should. That didn't used to be the case when I weighed 75/80kg (although that was some time ago!).

Carrying the weight you are is IMHO pushing most regular 700c road bike/wheel limits, unless they've been especially built for the job.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can find 700C DTSwiss trekking e-bike rims for 19.90€ or less. Some Sapim Strong spokes with brass nipples and test that over a month.

https://www.bike24.com/p281113.html 140 kg all up weight

huskie69

Jul 17, 2017
Wales
My regular not-electric semi-decent hybrid bike (700c x 35 at 65psi) has Mavic rims and DT Swiss spokes... My very similar style but much cheaper £1000 Chinese hybrid e-bike uses generic (again 700c x 35 at 65psi) Chinese wheel sets.

Carrying my 115kg weight over road and generally smooth off-road paths, typically 18-25 mile routes, I need to re-inflate my tyres before each ride, and fettle spokes on the Chinese e-bike every 100 miles - maybe once every 250 miles on the Mavic/DT Swiss wheeled bike. No major adjustments, but the slightest nudge of the wheel (a stone, odd tree-root, minor pothole) and the tyre loses 5-10psi and the spokes don't twang like they should. That didn't used to be the case when I weighed 75/80kg (although that was some time ago!).

Carrying the weight you are is IMHO pushing most regular 700c road bike/wheel limits, unless they've been especially built for the job.
Fettling with the spokes is something I'm not likely to do myself- it's a bit of an art and I'd just end up making it much worse!

And I've not had to make any adjustments to my road bike winter wheel set - some cheap Shimano jobbies in over 3000 miles, they're as true as they day I got them, despite hitting god knows how many potholes and taking my weight when I was up at >155kg

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
You need one of these22687951_383731725379002_2761080874558234388_n.jpg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That’d almost be funny if it didn’t play so heavily on ingrained, outdated, stereotypical views reinforced by marketing hype and bull about how brilliant everything German is supposed to be...

Except that in JD Powers most recent 2017 car reliability survey, Chinese owned Volvo and Korean owned Kia were jointly the two most reliable cars. And German Audi and BMW were the bottom two most unreliable of the 25 brands surveyed.

Even Captain Slows’ favoured Romanian-built Dacia (who sell the two cheapest new car models in Britain - the Sandero and Logan), prove more reliable than either Audi or BMW. Even Volkswagen (at 12th) and Mercedes (at 15th) show almost as embarrassingly bad reliability (yes, I’ve got a VW and a Merc, suckered by the hype).

So German engineering and build, in reality, isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be, is it?

Kalkhoff anyone?

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2017-uk-vehicle-dependability-study

PS: Was it Amps who moved production of their bikes away from Germany to the Far East in search of better build?

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015

Except that in JD Powers most recent 2017 car reliability survey, Chinese owned Volvo and Korean owned Kia were jointly the two most reliable cars.
So the Nationality of the owner decides the reliability of a car?
BTW, sorry to hear about the death of your sense of humour.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
So the Nationality of the owner decides the reliability of a car?
In my experience, yes it does. It affects hugely the operating culture and processes of the Company. Since digging Volvo out of near bankruptcy, under Chinese ownership, Geely have completely redesigned both all the engines and platform of todays Volvos... and one of their largest sales markets is now China. There's little of a pre 2010 Swedish Volvo left in a 2017 Chinese Volvo. Geely - who also own London Taxis and Lotus cars - like most car makers, manufacture in various plants around the world, so instilling their core values, processes, and Corporate culture in all their plants matters hugely for success. Do you think the Mini would have survived if BMW hadn't licked it into shape? It's a better product now than when under British ownership, but (according to JD Power) it still isn't as reliable as most of the FE competition is it?

And here we are talking about failed near-new Haibike wheels and Schwalbe tyres when my cheap Chinese wheels and Kenda tyres - and the OP's winter wheels "some cheap Shimano jobbies in over 3000 miles" - all carrying more weight, are running fault free. Go figure.

PS: My sense of humour didn't die: If you believe the ingrained, outdated, stereotypical view that Germans just don't have a sense of humour, you should have realised I am half German!