I need your advice

Sllim

Just Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Telford
If you read my posting on “Introduce yourself” you will know the basics about me but for those who haven't here are the main points about me:
63 years old
Living in Telford, Shropshire
semi-retired
Recently had a heart by-pass operation
Told I need to do more exercise, preferred method is cycling.

But as I said in the previous post I have a few problems:

Having a sedentary job for a many of years and travelling everywhere by car you may have guessed that my User Name does not refer to my physique, and although I have lost some weight since the operation I am still around a hundred kilos.
I would like to use the bicycle to commute to work which is approximately 3.5 miles away from home, unfortunately I live on one side of the river Severn and my job is on the other side. My commute is as follows; the first 1.5 miles is downhill (part of which is marked as an 8% incline), then next 0.5 mile is reasonably level as I follow the Severn, then the final 1.5 mile is an incline to work (which is at about the same elevation as home but not as steep.), and then there is the return journey. I would like to do this all year round, except in the severest weather.
If possible I would also like to use the bike to travel to and from my physiotherapy classes at the local hospital which is approximately 7 miles from home, as well as using it to go to the shops and travelling into our beautiful local country side.
Before buying anything I would have liked to try the cycle, unfortunately in this area there are few cycle shops which have a good range of e-bikes and even less where you can test, so I have been doing all my reviewing on-line.
I have a budget of about £2,000 but that is to cover bike, hat, locks (and security), pump and insurance.

The more reading I do the more confused I get and the questions I would like guidance on are:
What is the best power system for me (crank or hub)?
Battery type and power?
Gears (hub or dérailleur)?
Brakes (v, roller or disc)?
Ease of replacing a tyre, with regards to choosing the above?

While trying to find an electric bike I can get serviced locally I spotted the EBCO range which I can purchase and get delivered from Halfords on-line. That would seem to fit most of my needs but what are your thoughts or does anyone know of another local companies.

Regards
Sllim

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Welcome to the forum Slim.
Your route isn't particularly demanding and a standard 10ah 36V machine, with a hub motor, which is the less expensive and more established type, would easily cope.

Your 100Kgs shouldn't be a problem: most bikes are warranted at this weight.

I don't believe Halfords have a great rapport with e-bikes, and I wouldn't identify them as having a particularly wide range either. They have stocked good bikes in the past but their staff are generally not fully trained in e-bikes, though I'm sure they are onto it.

Your budget, to include security and luggage, is large so you will be able to choose from a wide range. I think it's all down to style and your preferences.

Your questions open up several areas where there is much debate on here.
My own preferences are:
Hub motor: proven, reliable and excellent value.
Lithium ion, polymer or phosphate battery: all well established, proven with many suppliers. You only need 10AH.
Dérailleur gears: again proven, widely understood and easy to maintain and replace/upgrade if necessary/desired.
Disk brakes: better in the wet and they don't wear the wheel rims (e-bikes use much more braking, more often and wear of rims is a greater factor, especially important with hub motors built in).
Choose a bike with a plug along the motor lead so the motor wheel can be easily removed - most manufacturers include these now to facilitate tyre changes.
Hope this helps. You'd be more than welcome to test ride our own range of course.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Hello Slim,

I think the best way forward is to try as many as you can first. Even if this requires a days travelling to sample a few types it would be worthwhile. Suitability where E-Bikes are concerned is strictly a personal taste.

Clearly you have done some research already. Hub drives and crank drives are quite different in how they assist you along the road. Comfort is a major aspect, as you may find the riding position on some bikes very uncomfortable.

Take a day out and visit some venues that have all the options for you to test. Most bikes will complete your planned commute with ease, but the main objective is that you enjoy it, because that's what will keep you cycling. Bon chance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
8% is well within the capabilities of any good e-bike, so the system type isn't important for you. I'd choose a hub motor bike for that route which should give you good average speeds and not be too demanding of effort from you.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Comfort is a major aspect, as you may find the riding position on some bikes very uncomfortable.
That is so, so true Eaglerider and is very often overlooked by potential purchasers. While we can all adjust our body posture somewhat to suit the geometry of a particular bike and most ebikes have a fair bit of adjustability, actually having something which feels just right makes for a more pleasurable cycling experience.

There are some machines on which I simply cannot get comfortable and though they go well enough, I really wouldn't to own one.

Indalo

alfazzr

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Hi there,
One question that Slim did not ask but I thought might be quite important and wondered if anyone had any experience of (although perhaps it does not matter at all). What about the difference between front adn rear wheel drive with huib motors ? I would have thought pulling from the front would be quite different with respect to steering for instance.
thanks
Alfazzr