I see your cheating then!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
One day most cycling may be on e-bikes.

Then the occasional unpowered cyclist may have to suffer e-biker's shouts of "Show off". :D

Oddly, I'm using the pedal mtb more than the eMTB these days, and actually plan to upgrade from a hard tail to a full suspension pedal mtb at some stage this year.

The popularity of eMTB's is actually driving me away from them. The number of eMTB's around here, is rapidly increasing, and I was asked last week, if I fancied going out for a group ride. I won't be repeating the experience ever again, as all were riding bikes that either had dongles, or the cut off removed. If I wanted to be out with a group of motorcyclists, I buy another KTM EXC and stick to green lanes.
I'm also currently a bit fecked off by the fact that a minority of irresponsible eMTB riders, probably those as above, are spoiling it for others. Just a few weeks ago, someone that I know was knocked off his mtb by an eMTB rider, that choose to come flying past him on a hill climb in the Forest of Dean.
I'm beginning to see and fully understand why so many people are against eMTB's, and I just hope that I don't end up being one of them.

From now on it is either group rides out on the pedal mtb, or just solo on the eMTB, and as far away from others as is possible. Having said that, there are a few eMTB owners on here that I'd happily go for a ride with.

Last edited:

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I have been to the Forest of Dean with Chris, we went on a Wednesday and had a superb time, BUT Chris had warned me that at the weekends it is a free for all and Lin had almost been skittled by an idiot.

I think the FOD is a bad example for anything as everything is so concentrated there, a lot of people many inexperienced in a small place, a recipe for trouble.

You are all welcome to Herefordshire, there is no one here at all. If you fall off your bike and hurt yourself, they might with luck find your bleached bones as there is also no mobile phone signal.

No hating, actually no cyclists, (that I ever see) no restrictions, I think its the over crowding in the South.

Sorry Eddie it's an eMTB or car for me. I do go out with my fit younger friend on his MTB but no way can he keep up where I go and any where near the speed, my average speed on the display used to be 12 ish, now we regularly go out its 9 ish. He is a fit 32, but the hills around here are killers I know its a powered bike I ride but its great.

There is a huge effort to cycling but Mountain Biking is the worst so for an old bloke of 53 to be lurking here there and everywhere is only thanks to Mr Yamaha and Mr Haibike.

Never met a hater but did almost catch one rider I would have killed if I had carried on on a nasty up hill but decided to let him get away, my mother brought me up to be kind.

Chris and I are the disciples of eBike when we are out and about spreading the gospel, sometimes wondering if we are going to get left with the MTB we have swapped for someone to try. I said this to Chris one day and he then looked at the bike I was left with and said it was easily £3k so I was a lot more relaxed.

We was at the FOD where two blokes had taken out eBikes for a try, Chris and I were holding their MTB's and a Lady cyclist who came up "I said look out there are two of those cheating ebikers coming down, the lightweights".

Like I said you have to get the punches in first.

Apologies for going on,but I have a cold so home drinking scotch on a lovely sunny evening...should be out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not much point going on a group ride if every bike can leave you for dead ;)

i bet they change there tune on a 40 mile bike ride tho you might have the speed but you pay the price in distance ;)

Retyred1

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2016
NZ
I really wish dongles or the like we're never invented. I can see major problems with access to conservation land here in New Zealand where a lot of walking tracks also allow bikes. While I was on one a few weeks back, noticed an ebiker on a hub motor type bike travelling at speed up a single way track and yelling at walkers to get out of his way. At the rate he was travelling it must have been derestricted and had a throttle fitted as there wasn't much pedalling going on. People didn't look at all happy.
Only takes a few upset walkers to complain to DOC and ebikes will be barred from these areas.

From a selfish point it wouldn't affect me too much as I have access to a huge privately owned mountainous sheep station that includes probably hundreds of kms of farm tracks and old miners trails.

Last edited:

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
I do sometimes feel like I'm cheating when riding my emtb but I try to keep it on the lowest power setting to get the best workout. I always feel exhausted at the end of a day out. Apart from the fact they're illegal, I can't see the point of using a dongle? I crap myself when doing 30mph on downhill sections, so being able to do that uphill...! I think I'd end up seriously injured?
Tomorrow, we'll be heading to Bike Park Wales, where no doubt some clown sitting in the comfort of the uplift bus, will let us know that our bikes are cheating! Would you like to join us there IR772?

Last edited:

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
As a believer that we can only hope to predict the future by studying the past. I ask myself when has a niche hobby become mainstream and not brought as many problems as it solves.

Sure there is more choice and easy access to parts and possibly prices go down and quality goes up. But all those things make the hobby more accessible . Any numpty can flash some money at it with no research or patience and act the fool.

The increasing popularity often dumbs down the level of participant . That brings notoriety and then problems go public and eventually the govt steps in.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Well said Eddie. We have a much quieter e mtb scene up here and I have encountered no hostility and few other e mtb'ers! A long time ago I uised to trail ride on a small motor bike but gave that up as the Enduro crowd ripped up our hallowed routes. I can see e mtb'ing going the same way in the longer term however I don't sensibly have the option of returning to my analogue mtb due to advancing years and deteriorating joints. I just hope the dongolies keep things in perspectve and think of others.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Oddly, I'm using the pedal mtb more than the eMTB these days, and actually plan to upgrade from a hard tail to a full suspension pedal mtb at some stage this year.

The popularity of eMTB's is actually driving me away from them. The number of eMTB's around here, is rapidly increasing, and I was asked last week, if I fancied going out for a group ride. I won't be repeating the experience ever again, as all were riding bikes that either had dongles, or the cut off removed. If I wanted to be out with a group of motorcyclists, I buy another KTM EXC and stick to green lanes.
I'm also currently a bit fecked off by the fact that a minority of irresponsible eMTB riders, probably those as above, are spoiling it for others. Just a few weeks ago, someone that I know was knocked off his mtb by an eMTB rider, that choose to come flying past him on a hill climb in the Forest of Dean.
I'm beginning to see and fully understand why so many people are against eMTB's, and I just hope that I don't end up being one of them.

From now on it is either group rides out on the pedal mtb, or just solo on the eMTB, and as far away from others as is possible. Having said that, there are a few eMTB owners on here that I'd happily go for a ride with.
Eddie, I can understand some of your frustration. However, my experience is that whenever a group of men get together on a reasonably regular basis to play football, ride a bike etc etc then they just can't help themselves be competitive, to the extent of ruining the occasion for some. This is in my experience.

I had a really good group of friend that I would go mtbing with at least 2x week and the more aggressive riders, managed to upset the less so. We ended up a group of 3, then 2 which included me. At this point we are 8 years in. My friend also, wanted to plan the routes and one day I had enough and said no. I mainly ride by myself or with son and am must happier now. The local club group that ride, I sometimes ride with but nothing formal and that's the way I like it.

E-bikes or not, there are always idiots on bikes doing dangerous things and no difference to cars etc. It's clear that at present you've had some bad experiences. Sometimes I won't ride my mtb for months then I went off road riding to mtbing, sound familiar!

Finally, I am very happy with my e-bike with dongle giving me the benefit of being able to do what a road bike can, as well as a mtb. More so, actually!

Reactions: tommie

Derek M Walshaw

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2016
I'm a member of my local MTB group and ride regularly with them. Being the only E-MTB member I learnt very early on to ride at the back. Uphill where I could easily leave them for dead. I ride behind the Slowest riders Or with them. The ride leaders know that the bikes motor cuts out at 15.5mph and they have great fun keeping the pace on the flat sections above 16mph :)
BTW My bike is a 2016 Scott E-Spark 710 with the Bosch CX motor

Reactions: chris130256

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
I'm a member of my local MTB group and ride regularly with them. Being the only E-MTB member I learnt very early on to ride at the back. Uphill where I could easily leave them for dead. I ride behind the Slowest riders Or with them. The ride leaders know that the bikes motor cuts out at 15.5mph and they have great fun keeping the pace on the flat sections above 16mph :)
BTW My bike is a 2016 Scott E-Spark 710 with the Bosch CX motor
Hi Derek, I also ride at the back with the slowest. I was usually the slowest anyway, so figure it's the best place for an e-bike, bearing in mind mine has an rs dongle and can hit 40mph on flat ;)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

I ride my road-bike a lot now. I think I'll have a go at shouting out "Cheat" every time I pass an electric bike, and see what they say. I'm a devil! I wish I'd thought of that yesterday, as nearly all the bikes I saw in the town park were electric. The fine weather seems to have brought them out.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Gl3n_uk

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2017
Great Britain
Well today I took my new ebike out in the FOD. I was out for 4 1/2 hours. I'm usually done after 1 1/2 to 2 max.

Enjoyed every minute, I stayed up with my group, not something I usually do. They did not have to wait (they usually do). We go twice a week and now I feel much happier.

I now feel safer on the downhill as I'm in a much better position to attack it so much more.

I progressively used the assistance and we had a break after 3 hours, I still had over 60% battery left.

I don't agree about the FOD being that busy, verderers was great as always. Lots of people enjoying themselves and very few being stupid.

My group, 8 of us all had a great day. A couple stopped after 3 hours, I continued. I would not have made it that far on my non ebike. I would have finished after 2 hours.

My heart rate stayed in a much better zone and I think I benefited much more by riding my ebike over my other bike.

Being able to stay out and really enjoy my biking has made me really happy. I am tired, I feel I have had a much harder time on the upper body! I was using all assistance I could towards the end, but ebikes have transformed my riding.

I was at the point of almost giving up. Or at least riding less and probably not going with my mates as much as I was slowing them up. Now I'm happy

I think they are to...

Altop1

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2016
Lincolnshire
I really dont do that much technical stuff but do love farm tracks light trails etc .I usually do 20 miles a trip but it has crept to 30 plus sometimes theres no way at the moment id do that on a non electrick bike.So to me its not cheating if you go further and more often.love it.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Well today I took my new ebike out in the FOD. I was out for 4 1/2 hours. I'm usually done after 1 1/2 to 2 max.

Enjoyed every minute, I stayed up with my group, not something I usually do. They did not have to wait (they usually do). We go twice a week and now I feel much happier.

I now feel safer on the downhill as I'm in a much better position to attack it so much more.

I progressively used the assistance and we had a break after 3 hours, I still had over 60% battery left.

I don't agree about the FOD being that busy, verderers was great as always. Lots of people enjoying themselves and very few being stupid.

My group, 8 of us all had a great day. A couple stopped after 3 hours, I continued. I would not have made it that far on my non ebike. I would have finished after 2 hours.

My heart rate stayed in a much better zone and I think I benefited much more by riding my ebike over my other bike.

Being able to stay out and really enjoy my biking has made me really happy. I am tired, I feel I have had a much harder time on the upper body! I was using all assistance I could towards the end, but ebikes have transformed my riding.

I was at the point of almost giving up. Or at least riding less and probably not going with my mates as much as I was slowing them up. Now I'm happy

I think they are to...
That's why us old fogies are here, welcome

Related Articles

Advertisers