I want to read as much as I can so I don't buy a bad bike

viulian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 16, 2012
Hey guys and gals!

After a trip to Barcelona where I had to idea to rent a pedelec, I got hooked. Been asking around about insurance, garage where to leave it over night and been reading online. So I guess I will eventually buy one :)

I rented an Estilo XL - sorry - link in Spanish: :: e-bikererent :: rent electric bicycles Barcelona :: Estilo XL

So anyway, my story is this: learned to ride when I was about 5 years of age, did not ride ever since till 3 years ago, when, for few months, I had the cheapest possible bike. After few hundred meters the legs shut down and was very tiring and painful. So yeah, my shape was/is really bad so I gave up - it was annoying to get tired and thus not fulfilling. I sold it.

However, with the electrical bike I managed to ride effortlessly for 22km and the battery was only half empty - since there was a lost of starting up then immediately breaking on the busy sunny Barcelona Esplanada with lots of tourists everywhere.

I have a max 4km total commute each day (2 to go and 2 to come back), mostly downhill to work, but uphill back home. I could also walk, 1h roundtrip - but is more fun on battery power.
I am now searching to learn as much as possible about pedelecs so I don't waste the money on crappy alternatives.
What is important is reliability and big battery.

Pedelec was the most interesting forum I found and I decided to join :) and not to be a lurker anymore.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Viulian,

Welcome to the forum, you have come to right place for advice.
I am not going bombard you with the a hard sales pitch and insist that you buy an eZee bike or conversion kit. But you would be mad not too;)

OK, enough of that.

First, read all you can, make a short list of bike (or conversions) that you like, post it here, then a whole host of people will jump in with advice.

Next test ride as many bikes as possible.

Once you have done that, you should be reasonably well equipped to make a decision.

Just one question which might save a lot of time and effort, what is your budget?

Regards

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you live elsewhere in Spain and are buying for there, the famous Spanish bicycle manufacturer BH makes the Emotion range of electric assist bikes, also sold in Britain. They are a quality brand so definitely worth a look.

Let us know where the bike is for and the amount of money you are thinking of spending so that we can narrow down the choice.

C

Cyclezee

I have to mention Barcelona very quietly in my house, my wife is Gaudi nuts:rolleyes:

Did you ride up to Tibidabo Viulian? A good test for any electric bike:cool:

viulian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 16, 2012
Thank you for the kind words guys!

First thing, I'm not in UK, I am in Belgium for now .. I saw reference to many UK local shops and happy customers, but unfortunately I have to adapt to what I find here.

The budget would be round 824 pounds (1000 euros) without accessories like saddle lock, thick real chain and so on. I put aside around 100-150 euros for these. It would also cost me around 90 euros per year insurance against theft on the streets ..
I saw various models, from about 500 pounds to 1200 pounds (600 euros -> 1500 euros) but I would not rather go more than 800 pounds.

As far as I read - I will for sure not one one with the engine underneath the pedals - since it will probably be the most scratched and battered part. (when I stop to climb some side walk and so on).
I want all sorts of antitheft devices and I did see the videoclip of Mr. Mason - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPDHPpnXPv8

I still need to read about the engines if there are various types (it is rainy here in Brussels) and the mechanics - since I want reliability (I mean if I send it to the shop once every 3 months - I hope not but I don't want to carry a 'first aid' kit for the bike every time).

But I will read a lot before having questions and dilemmas :)

@Cyclezee - Barcelona, uh, I'm nostalgic. I like Gaudi, not to mention the reaction girlfriend had when seeing Sagrada Familia for the first time. We queued 1h to get in, the same as Casa Milo. Next time we get a group ticket so we can enter faster and see more :)
Tibidabo this time no .. We did the Esplanada (beach side) from Hotel W Vela to the Decathlon Port Nautic since girlfriend also rode for first time after 10 or more years and we were afraid of cars.
BUT we rode also to the top of Montjuic (184meter) but it was nasty for my legs :D but I did it. Harder on the way back though, we walked next to the bikes as the streets were very inclined and hard on the hands to break all time. I almost finished the battery around Olympic Stadium, but luckily we traveled with other 2 friends that are cycling for many years and were kind enough to switch bikes :D. I guess the battery wasn't really over, but I could feel it was not as strong and when pushing for in long distances and it dropped to 1 led out of 4.

Last edited:

3E Electric

Just Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Hi Viulian,

Welcome to the forum. Went to Barcelona last year myself and really enjoyed it..haha:)

3E Electric offers 18Ah battery, which gives you plenty of battery power and it comes with 3 years warranty.

Welcome to 3E Electric | Premium Electric Bike

Have a look if you want and I really suggest you try one:)

best regards

Frankie