IEC plugs on Batterys

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

IEC plugs on electric bikes are ILLEGAL Except the input on the mains side off the charger

under the low voltage directive under 50 Volts DC

We stopped using these 3 years ago after reading this article

100, 000 bikes to be recalled in Europe see links below from 2009

Attention: IEC Plug

Bike Europe - News: Flood in e-Bikes Recalls Expected

The other reason is they are Cheap and nasty and not made for the job we use these

Single Modular Connectors - Torberry Connectors Online Shop

The frame off the bike can become live 230 volts mains if plugged directly in to the mains in error Then you or you loved ones could DIE or just burn you house down

If you have this problem This is a job for trading standards they have the power to enforce a recall

Frank

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Blew it

All our bikes and kits are delivered limited to 15 MPH

If you read further it says for off road use

Don't you think this forum is about telling the good and The BAD Lethal electric shocks or fires

I did not wright the news BUT I took notice off it and made the appropriate Changes

Have you looked at your bike ????? are you literally siting on a time BOMB

Frank

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Petty nit-picking Frank.

Panasonic, Bosch, Yamaha, Daum and many others achieve effortless hill-climbing on as little as 26 volts, and they do so legally by using the machines road gears as a motor torque multiplier.

You chose the other route, brute force and ignorance of British and EU regulations.

Have you applied for BEBA membership yet?.

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at their neighbours"

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If you read further it says for off road use
Hello Frank

Seeing as this thread is safety related and someone has already introduced the topic of speed, I will run the risk of asking a loosely related safety question regarding speed.

Whereabouts exactly is this, "off road" place where you can use your bikes?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Blew it

You have your opinion and That is a good thing as we still live in a free country

Read the article below

ETRA - News (Common Issues) - Which electric (bi)cycle future do we want?

we need more power to make these things work for everyday use

the average cyclist can keep up 20 mph some sports riders can do 30 MPH

perhaps we should make standard bike geared so they wont go no faster than 15 MPH

AS they are not safe over 15 MPH and introduce on the spot speeding tickets at £30

NOW that's nit picking

Frank

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Blew-it How this ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????Frank

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Frank,
Well here's a bit more nit-picking for you.

Why do you insist on taking up my entire screen area with a nine line reply?
Steady on, Blew it. It is clear that if one rarely uses any punctuation, one has to put each sentence in a new paragraph to make the meaning clear. Otherwise sentences would just run into one another making the meaning hard to decipher. This issue is also noticeable in the linked eBay advert, which really exercises my scrolling finger.

Sorry to be sarcastic, Frank, but punctuation is actually useful, and could even be argued to be a courtesy to forum readers.

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi 10mph

sorry about the punctuation I am just a 61 year old dumb engineer who left school at 15 to start work we all have our good and bad points

Frank

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
Frank,

Not so dumb. In fact any engineer as obviously competent as yourself, with so many wise and useful points to make on the forum, could quite easily press the the key marked with the greater than sign and the little dot at the end of each point. Your very useful insights and information can be read without the use of fullstops, but it just makes it quicker and easier to get the meaning if full stops are used. While you are about it just start the next word after the full stop with a capital letter. I know that you know where the shift key is, since you do sometimes use it.

By the way at my school in the 50's we were taught to use full stops well before we were 10. Perhaps things have gone done hill since then.

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Panasonic, Bosch, Yamaha, Daum and many others achieve effortless hill-climbing on as little as 26 volts, and they do so legally by using the machines road gears as a motor torque multiplier.

You chose the other route, brute force and ignorance of British and EU regulations.

Great point and well presented Blew it!

I've made mention before that there is quite a bit of hypocrisy among some members here in regard to the law. We have people busily constructing cameras to record the lawbreaking of others while themselves riding bikes using the euphemistically called, "off-road mode."

In terms of electric bicycles as I understand things, the regulations seem pretty clear but I can understand
people wishing to push the envelope a little, seeking some kind of advantage. That's well and good but the major constructors are already at, or pretty close to, the upper limit permitted by the law.

It continues to astound me that some people wish to ride ebikes at 30 mph using motor power when there are other machines designed to perform at that level legally. I know some people can ride un-powered cycles at that speed but that is legal! That we have constructors wilfully producing ebikes capable of illegal speeds using battery power and using that illegality in their promotion is quite incredible. The nonsense about a switch just doesn't wash with me, I'm afraid.

The world of mopeds, scooters and motor cycles is where all of those wishing to ride at 30mph ought to be unless they are proper cyclists in the athletic sense. In that world, with its type approval, road tax, registration, compulsory insurance and so on, there is an enormous choice and most have brakes designed for the higher speeds of which they are capable.

If any constructor needs to use massive power and illegal speed capability to promote their product, perhaps the product just doesn't stand comparison with the best, (or even the worst!) electric bikes on sale from the respected manufacturers working within the law.

Regards,
Indalo

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Hi indalo
Thanks for your input this is what this forum is all about. Do you like my new punctuation.

Frank
Frank, your punctuation doesn't bother me as my English is far from perfect but if you ask a question, you really ought to use a question mark.

If you attended school in this country, you didn't do very well in English but I've always imagined that English is your second language, in which case you're doing ok as everyone will understand your meaning even if it's punctuated badly.

Regards,
Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you like my new punctuation.

Frank
Much better Frank! I too left school early, at just 14 years old in my case, but I've tried to use our wonderful language as well as possible ever since, continuously learning on the way.

I can assure you, the better one uses it, the greater the pleasure in it's use.

shep

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
My Mother was my English teacher in Primary School !!!!!! and she gave me a school report which i still have.

"Ceri takes every opportunity to waste time and to waste the time of others"

Mind you upon considered reflection as i mature. She was 100% right !!!! but from your old Mum?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Pour spell awes tip of the day: I use Google chrome now as my web browser, which includes a spelling checker for text input such as this.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
If we can get back to the topic of the thread and not this endless mince about other unrelated rubbish...
I'm surprised there hasn't been a fatal accident yet with the bikes and kits supplied with the IEC connector. I was horrified to find my kit had such fitted to it and it was the first thing to get ripped out with extreme predjudice. It's only a a matter of time before somebody, somewhere plugs the mains into the battery pack of an e-bike. I regard the makers as being damned close to criminally negligent in their use of the IEC connector for battery charging purposes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I regard the makers as being damned close to criminally negligent in their use of the IEC connector for battery charging purposes.
Possibly the worst case is where the charger supplied is an HP (HighPower company) one, since they have a IEC terminated mains lead to connect to the charger. It's almost an invitation to disaster when the input from the charger to the battery is also IEC. I don't know of any current ones thank goodness, but there were a few Chinese e-bikes imported in earlier years like this.