If this falcon jolt has same power motor and batt, then why?

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
If this falcon jolt has same power motor and batt, as the carrera's I had and the elife foldable, then why is it worse at pulling me up a hill?

Thanks.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Is it the exact same motor, or is it a different one that just has the same rated power? Even if its the same motor, the winding speed could be different, or the wheel size may be different. Also, the controller current could be less on your current bike, or the battery could have weak cells. All these things affect pulling power.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
Is it the exact same motor, or is it a different one that just has the same rated power? Even if its the same motor, the winding speed could be different, or the wheel size may be different. Also, the controller current could be less on your current bike, or the battery could have weak cells. All these things affect pulling power.
Looks like the motor is a geared motor and tge halfords motor is a gearless motir, that would explain why the halfords bike handles hills better.
Thanks for your reply.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Looks like the motor is a geared motor and tge halfords motor is a gearless motir, that would explain why the halfords bike handles hills better.
Thanks for your reply.
As they are two totally different motors that just happen to have the same arbitrary 250w rating, they are likely to vary vastly from each other in terms of their power and torque.
An internally geared motor will be much better at climbing hills than a gearless (direct drive) one. Are you sure its not the Halfords one that is geared and your current one that is gearless?
In order to be able to tackle the hills well, a hub-driven bike needs to have a slow-wind internally geared motor running at a decent current. The motor also has to be sufficiently large enough to handle this current without overheating. My bike has a 48v 201rpm BPM motor in a 24 inch wheel, paired with a 26a controller. It pulls me up all the steepest hills effortlessly, and can still reach a top speed along the flat of over 19mph. I recommend you replace your current motor with a slow-wind BPM-type one similar to mine.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I had a spark and while it was a piece of crap in other ways I thought the motor was alright. Maybe it's the geometry or the weight. Also in the cold weather at the moment the battery sags more and feels weaker