If this goes ahead it will be a MAJOR Boost for E Bikes and could stop the Bank Heist

David Webley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2013
Looks like BORIS could be a shot in the arm for the E Bikes movement.

Boris Johnson plans to give police electric bikes that 'can climb stairs' - Telegraph

I've also found that VOLT are doing electric bike hire in London and might give it a go when I'm down in April. I'm then off to Amersfoort in Holland where again there are Electric Bikes to hire. That might be better than London as the Dutch do have good cycle paths.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Good old Boris. Can always be relied on to blunder in to a hornet's nest (!) Wonder how long it'll be before the PCs are out the back soldering their shunts :p.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Wonder how long it'll be before the PCs are out the back soldering their shunts
No time for that... some of em are still practicing joined up writing :p

However.. I'm sure they will know a man in a back street garage that can.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
"The plans are part of a £913bn scheme to encourage cycling in the capital, which will see 15 miles of segregated cycle ways built across London and some major roads reduced to 20mph"

Erm, the cost seems to have escalated somewhat? :(

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Typical government over-spending, innit?
Government estimates are normaly underpriced by an average of 25%, maybe they are trying a new mathematical method. £913bn would almost clear the national debt, but hey lets get our priorities straight, and create 15 miles of cycle lane. would it not be cheaper to ban cars on said route, which would not cost a penny to the exchequer.

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Government estimates are normaly underpriced by an average of 25%, maybe they are trying a new mathematical method. £913bn would almost clear the national debt, but hey lets get our priorities straight, and create 15 miles of cycle lane. would it not be cheaper to ban cars on said route, which would not cost a penny to the exchequer.
Great idea but why not ban cars everywhere,turn motorways into railways,no more ram raids,give police high powered S bikes......the future looks bright......:D

Fish-man

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 26, 2012
Are these road legal?
I was just thinking that . I don't see how they can be as the motor is 250W ... which is only legal for tandems and tricycles ( as far as I'm aware).

So presumably these police bikes will also have an MOT, Tax , Licence plate Etc.

I doubt that somehow .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was just thinking that . I don't see how they can be as the motor is 250W ... which is only legal for tandems and tricycles ( as far as I'm aware).

So presumably these police bikes will also have an MOT, Tax , Licence plate Etc.

I doubt that somehow .
There is a DfT waiver for all otherwise legal 250 watt e-bikes, active until they become legal in the forthcoming revision, which is hoped to be passed into law in 2016.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Looks like BORIS could be a shot in the arm for the E Bikes movement.

Boris Johnson plans to give police electric bikes that 'can climb stairs' - Telegraph

I've also found that VOLT are doing electric bike hire in London and might give it a go when I'm down in April. I'm then off to Amersfoort in Holland where again there are Electric Bikes to hire. That might be better than London as the Dutch do have good cycle paths.
There are still posties out there doing their rounds on push bikes, so what about giving ~them~
e-bikes? A fleet of e-bikes by royal approval, would be the surest way of saying 'ebikes have arrived',

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
My postman’s on an e-bike. I’ll ask him about it if he manages to plough through the fast falling white stuff to deliver my long-awaited SPD shoes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are still posties out there doing their rounds on push bikes, so what about giving ~them~
e-bikes? A fleet of e-bikes by royal approval, would be the surest way of saying 'ebikes have arrived',
A short while ago the UK's Post Office had a plan to introduce 16,000 e-bikes, but the changes in the pattern of mail delivery content have meant that was not an efficient way to go, so the plan was dropped. I agree with them, their decision was entirely sensible in the current and probable future changed circumstances. For the same reasons they've been scrapping many of their unpowered Pashley post bikes.

In France and Germany where the postal circumstances may be different they do use e-bikes in some areas. In Germany it's a special Heinzmann powered one with a huge front stand and front and rear containers, I can't remember offhand the French producer of their postal e-bikes, but it is one of their known bike companies.

Last edited: