If you could design a motor controller what would you want?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The one missing from your list, perfect reliability. :D

Programmable would be nice though.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Variable power rather than variable top speed. Maybe.

I have this idea that what I want is to be able to dial in 100W of assist regardless of speed. The three speed controllers seem to vary the cut off speed at which the motor stops working rather than vary the amount of assist. If I can pedal at 18mph unassisted, I'd like the motor to add power push me up to 20 without the cut off because I'm doing more than 16.

Perhaps there's a way of doing this by raising the absolute max to 30 so you very rarely hit it, and then having a variable maximum current limit.

A 3 position pedelec/throttle switch. one, both, the other.

A 5V USB accessory charging supply.

A lighting circuit. 5v? 12v?

Last edited:

rosjen

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2008
Interesting idea, I am not 100 percent sure but you would need a motor designed for such a varied output, I
think a crank motor would do what you want. From what I understand the controller doesnt limit the speed, its the overall ratios of volts, internal gearing (rpm) and wheel size

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Interesting idea, I am not 100 percent sure but you would need a motor designed for such a varied output, I
think a crank motor would do what you want. From what I understand the controller doesnt limit the speed, its the overall ratios of volts, internal gearing (rpm) and wheel size
Well the Aurora is SB throughout (motor/controller/mode switch). And the three modes are very definitely 11/16/20 mph max. Below 11mph there's no difference in power between them. What appears to happen is that when the road speed exceeds the motor speed, the hub freewheels with the motor spinning inside the freewheel at max rpm for that mode. Which makes me think it definitely is an rpm limit. Now exactly how the controller limits rpm, I'm not sure.