I'm impressed with myself.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've now done almost 200 miles on my ebike and either the bike is getting better or I'm getting fitter. This morning I did 22 miles at an average speed of 16.25 mph which is a slight increase in speed. However, what I noticed today was, I was going up the same hills as usual but at a faster speed. I'm doing 12.5mph up a hill that I was doing 10mph when I started. OK, I know it's not much but it's an improvement. :) I went up a new hill this morning, not incredibly steep but bleeding long, about 1 mile. I sat at just over 14 mph. Now I know the motor is doing most of the work but at least I know I'm doing more than I used to.

Jim

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Thanks for the update Jim. Keep going! .. dont forget to factor in the weather conditions and keep your tyres at the optimum pressure.. and it you want to go even faster then get some clip in shoes and a tribar! ...

Alan B

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2011
Yatton
Hi Jim,

That's a good average, better than I've managed so far.

Do you feel you're getting some assistance over 15.5mph, I'm finding it surprisingly easy to go along at 16/17mph on the King, which means that averages can be very good.

What tyres have you ?

cheers,
Alan

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Yes I think I feel assistance up to about 16/16.5 Today on a flat bit of road with the wind behind me the tourer was doing almost 17mph with me just slowly moving the pedals in 1st gear. Normally though on that same bit of road it does just under 15mph with the pedals turning ever so slowly. I don't get much flat roads on my usual jaunt so I let the motor work on that same short stretch. It is just after a couple of miles of climbimg and I need the rest. ;)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Glad the cycling is improving your fitness.
I used electric untill I built up enough strength to complete my commute to work without feeling like I was going to die by the time i got to work.

It will continue to improve the more you use it!

Off Topic - How much do actual shoes / clip in's cleats improve effciency by exactly?

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Off Topic - How much do actual shoes / clip in's cleats improve effciency by exactly?
I don't know. I'll leave it to someone else to go and find the evidence. However, I need a new challenge. So, I will commit to doing a week of cycling in my trainers and log all the details. I will then compare to similar rides that I have done in cleats and report back. - unless someone finds conclusive evidence then I won't bother! ...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've now done almost 200 miles on my ebike and either the bike is getting better or I'm getting fitter. This morning I did 22 miles at an average speed of 16.25 mph which is a slight increase in speed. However, what I noticed today was, I was going up the same hills as usual but at a faster speed. I'm doing 12.5mph up a hill that I was doing 10mph when I started. OK, I know it's not much but it's an improvement. :) I went up a new hill this morning, not incredibly steep but bleeding long, about 1 mile. I sat at just over 14 mph. Now I know the motor is doing most of the work but at least I know I'm doing more than I used to.

Jim
Good going. If you are new to cycling you may find yourself in a slump where you slow down, this is quite normal as your body adjusts to the excersise and may last a few weeks.

I'm not sure efficiency is quite the right word. I love them as they keep my feet in the right position, I can spin faster (without worrying about my feet coming off) and for an extra burst I can pull up on the pedals as well as push down.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
If you are new to cycling you may find yourself in a slump where you slow down, this is quite normal as your body adjusts to the excersise and may last a few weeks.

I find messing about with my config helps! ... clip on shoes ... bar ends ,, tribar ,,, trailer! ... at the moment I'm thinking about the darkness creeping in and how I can go about lighting up the road! .... I'm thinking pink floyd light show! ...

mike_j

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2011
I'm right at the bottom of this process but even after a week I'm getting better. At least I can keep pedalling for 5 miles at a time and don't feel as though I have been subjected to some particularly nasty surgical operation in the crotch when I get off the saddle.

I have accepted a challenge to enter a 20 mile charity bike ride on 19 Sept so that's my immediate target.

rh1968

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2010
Off Topic - How much do actual shoes / clip in's cleats improve effciency by exactly?[/QUOTE]

SPD cleats will give you between 8-10% better efficiency but it's the shoes that really help, with their stiff soles transmitting power so much more efficiently. It's only anecdotal, but when I ride unpowered I average about 14MPH along the flat in trainers, 18MPH with my SPD shoes and cleats.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Interesting I did read about the stiff soles helping to transmit power but really wanted to know exactly how much will it actually affect.

Ie like shaving a few grams off part of the bike etc...

I have brough trainers with stiffer soles but only have cheaper plastic pedals anyway.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
SPD cleats will give you between 8-10% better efficiency but it's the shoes that really help, with their stiff soles transmitting power so much more efficiently. It's only anecdotal, but when I ride unpowered I average about 14MPH along the flat in trainers, 18MPH with my SPD shoes and cleats.[/QUOTE]
and I can back that up with some hard evidence from my cycle log :)
A ride to work in trainers in a NE wind at 5 mph was timed at 51:14 mins. With cleats 49.08 mins
Ride home in trainers in NE wind at 2 mph was timed at 53.17 mins. With cleats 50:17 mins.
I knew that spreadsheet would come in handy!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for the info clears it up!