Impulse 2 reliability

sunny_jay_jay

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
Given how new the Impulse 2 motor and that it is made by Kalkhoff themselves rather than a big motor manufacture (eg Bosch, Panasonic, Bafang) does anyone have any knowledge or experience of its reliability? I really like all the Kalkhoffs I have tried with this motor, more than any other bike. But I just have this niggling concern before I leap in and buy one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not quite as new as it might seem. The Impulse unit was developed by Kalkhoff from the German Daum unit which was on the market before the Bosch one. Of course it has been upgraded with modifications in both Impulse stages so each change will have been around for a shorter period, but at least at heart it has been well tried.

I daresay it is still likely to be made by Daum for Kalkhoff since they will have the appropriate facilities for this type of manufacturing, or perhaps they now own Daum since Kalkhoff is part of the large Derby Cycles gmbh who own many brands.

Reactions: RobF
D

Deleted member 4366

I can't remember anybody reporting any problems with the Kakhoff motor unit. There have been loads of Bosh problems, but then there's a lot more of them on the road; however, they have suffered some systematic problems, like the broken white gear in the beginning, and then the popping noise due to lack of grease, and water getting into the display, all of which seem to have been eliminated with the new version motor. Both Bosch and Kalkhoff have had problems with displays not working right, but as far as I've heard, the Kalkhoff can be sorted by the owner, but not always the Bosch.

One of the advantages of the Kalkhoff is that if it needs a software update, 50cycles will loan you the device to do it, which gives you a chance to change another setting, if you get my meaning.

sunny_jay_jay

May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
I can't remember anybody reporting any problems with the Kakhoff motor unit. There have been loads of Bosh problems, but then there's a lot more of them on the road; however, they have suffered some systematic problems, like the broken white gear in the beginning, and then the popping noise due to lack of grease, and water getting into the display, all of which seem to have been eliminated with the new version motor. Both Bosch and Kalkhoff have had problems with displays not working right, but as far as I've heard, the Kalkhoff can be sorted by the owner, but not always the Bosch.

One of the advantages of the Kalkhoff is that if it needs a software update, 50cycles will loan you the device to do it, which gives you a chance to change another setting, if you get my meaning.
Thanks for this. Very reassuring. And yes, I do "get your meaning" entirely!

sunny_jay_jay

May 21, 2014
Bristol BS1
It's not quite as new as it might seem. The Impulse unit was developed by Kalkhoff from the German Daum unit which was on the market before the Bosch one. Of course it has been upgraded with modifications in both Impulse stages so each change will have been around for a shorter period, but at least at heart it has been well tried.

I daresay it is still likely to be made by Daum for Kalkhoff since they will have the appropriate facilities for this type of manufacturing, or perhaps they now own Daum since Kalkhoff is part of the large Derby Cycles gmbh who own many brands.
Thanks.