Indicators. Winkku.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
I've been looking around for a decent indicator set. The Bycygnal ones don't look too bad, but the indicators seem rather close to the lights so probably won't be very visible. Also, after reading the reviews the wireless system seems to be a bit temperamental.

These 'Winkku' ones seem like a really good idea. Plus, I've always made do with one offside mirror, but when I get the Aurora, I was going to fit 2 anyway, and I like the ideas of appearing wider from both front and back, plus extra lighting.....I'm trying to talk myself in to buying them.:D What do you think?

Winkku Bike Indicator, Lights + Mirrors LEFT AND RIGHT on eBay (end time 24-Jan-11 18:50:14 GMT)

The end of this clip (2m 50s) shows how they work (and sound.)
YouTube - Winkku bicycle mirror indicator night running lights combination unit.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

You need to check that they don't interfere with the throttle. I guess that they have a permanent fixing that clamps inside the handlebar. It might be possible to leave a gap at the end of the throttle or you might need to cut a bit off the end of the twistgrip. I like the idea that the main parts are removeable.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
My personal thoughts and musings. I've not had a good experience with these indicators, but what they did do was to convince me that rear view mirrors were a great idea and I then went out and bought some for both my bikes and my wife's - just simple rear view mirrors without the 'gimmicks' and wouldn't be without these. We had Winku's on our Kalkoffs before (bought in April 2009 and gave up in August 2009) but they were beset by endless problems, the main one being that the shear weight of the unit with its batteries hanging off the end of the bar-end caused so much strain on the handlebar joint that I had a number of failures - the barend fittings were replaced at least twice, including redesigned ones but still they broke. Finally, one Winku broke off whilst my wife was cycling downhill near Beaulieu and the unit ended up being flattened under a horse box following behind. Overall, with replacements and or purchases I had 3 units and 5 bar-end fittings after which I just gave up.

Interesting in the summer of 2009 met another pedelec with a Powerbyke on the Bristol to Bath Cycleway (old railway line), and he'd had a similar experience to us when he saw we had one at that time on my wife's bike. After being given one as a Xmas present in 2008 and having 'problems' , he'd also been in discussion, as I had, with Dan Wright (the designer/supplier) and he didn't then still have one on his bike. In summary, I bought 2 units, had one replaced, one flattened under horse box and one collecting dust somewhere deep in my shed with one intact bar end.

If you can keep them secured to the handlebar end are they then any good? Well, in bright daylight it's difficult for drivers to see the winking indicator and would they be looking for it anyway? At night they obviously show up as do the front/rear facing lights but... the units I had would suddenly switch off as batteries lost contact - due to vibration or circuitry problems (one unit was replaced but we still found intermittent continuity problems? In the end I just gave up. Interestingly I bought direct from original designer/source at a time when 50cycles were carrying the item amongst their accessories. I note they have stopped supplying now?

Edit 1. - Removed bit about price from original post since it's £50 for a pair

Edit 2. Final thought especially in daylight - If you get knocked off making a turn with the Winkku flashing, does that count as the same as a clear hand signal?

Last edited:

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
I have a Winkku (right only) and wouldn't be without it now.
I just had to take out the insert at end of handlebar, and the winkku bracket sits inside the bar. It comes with an additional fixing method using velcro that goes around the handlebar, which wouldn't work too well with a twist throttle.

The Winkku is useful as a mirror, but I like it most for it's lights, particularly indicator for these dark evenings.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Thanks for the insight 'oriteroom'. That put me off a bit, then 'tribalecho' pops in and they sound like the best thing since sliced bread! I wonder if the problem with the battery contacts could just be solved with a bit of kitchen foil? It always works quite well in the torches and kids toys. I think that if they were 1/2 the price, I'd definitely give them a try, but I think I'll wait 'till the new bike comes and take it form there. Cheers.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I can only speak for the Bicygnals, STAY WELL AWAY. What a piece of junk, i have tried over 4 sets and they basically ranged from just not working to seriously dangerous. One set i put the batteries in and just by good luck i managed to get the batteries out before they went on fire :eek:

The build quality id shockingly poor my advice stay well away.

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
Thanks for the insight 'oriteroom'. That put me off a bit, then 'tribalecho' pops in and they sound like the best thing since sliced bread!
I've had no problems at all with my Winkku since I bought it 3 months or so ago. I agree that the indicator is much less effective in bright sunlight, but my arm does the trick at those times. Night time is when I really want the indicator, and it's so good at that.
There are 2 contrasting reviews at Amazon
Winkku Bike Indicator, Light and Mirror - Combined Unit: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting
Maybe I've just been lucky, but most other online reviews are very good.
I've even dropped the bike on the mirror 2 or 3 times, but it seems to stand up to most abuse I give it.
If mine stopped working, even after just 3 months, I'd definitely buy another Winkku - there doesn't seem to be anything else that comes close.
I looked at the bicygnals, but most reviews steered me away.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
a) rear-view mirror - absolute essential. I like bar-end as I find it stable and easy to see.

b) indicators? 40 years' experience driving tells me not to bother, on a bike that is. I DO have flashing lights, 3 on the handlebars, 2 on the rear, one on my helmet, but all I want them to do is to distract the dozey drivers for a moment to become AWARE of my presence - and then they can work out whether I'm turning or just cycling along.

From the doziest drivers who don't even notice my multiple flashing, there is no protection, I fear.

Allen.

D

Deleted member 4366

For people building an ebike from a kit - just while I think about it:
This device comes with a brake switch, which connects to a brake cable - say on the crossbar. It's a simple push-to-make switch, which could be cut off and used instead of one of those brake levers incorporating a brake switch. So, if you have those rapid-fire gearchangers and brake lever all in one, you could keep them and use this switch to cut the power to the controller when you operate the brake.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Blackpanther

Maybe a half-way house if you were considering them would be to buy just one (right hand) and then get a left if you had a good experience with it. The ebay ones aren't at any discount, and you have to buy the pair, whereas you may still be able to buy direct from Winkku and can specify R or L (not checked on Amazon if you can get r/l but they sell individually). I've still many reservations, but if you want it for night cycling perhaps the shortcomings can be overcome. One thing I would give them credit for is that at night drivers tend to give you a slightly wider berth when they see them pitched on the end of the handlebar. I also had a throttle controlled Powerbyke as a hacking machine when I had the Winkkus. On that it was easy to pare off the end of the throttle rubber grip to allow the bar-end to slide in.

It's also either my imagination or cars do seem to give you a 'slightly' wider berth when they see an ordinary rearview mirror sticking out.

Will pm you if I can find my 'buried' Winkku - for the cost of postage you could try it out and buy yourself one if you find it OK- I've no use for it.

Regards.

Mike