indiegogo Storm bike

M83

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2015
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/storm-electric-bike/x/6154024#home

I can't seem to find anything about this on the forum and was wondering if members have seeen this?

It has many, many backers but is now being questioned by people in the industry about their quoted weight, miles etc.

I would like to ask members here who are more experienced to have a look. Is it really possible to sell that bike for only $500 and be able to do all the things they say it can? It seems too good to be true.

Thank you for reading.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
"the ability to run on sand or snow as well as pavement, a maximum speed of 20 mph, a range of 30 to 50 miles, and a recharge time of just 90 minutes."

with a 350w motor and a weak 9ah bottle battery my tuppence is

1) full recharge in 90 minutes isnt happening. To 80% maybe
2) 20mph top speed ? Yes , probably true on flat, fair weather and pedalling. For about a mile unitl voltage drops
3) There dont seem to be any gears ?
4) The battery is too weak for that motor - horrible voltage sag inevitable
5) 30 to 50 miles ?!! Not a chance, None. At. All. That battery and motor combo on a road bike would not make 50 miles. On a heavy fat bike. Never

D

Deleted member 4366

Their claims are feasible, but you can't get them all together. It's a small bottle battery. If you go at 20 mph, range would be about 10 miles. The 20mph, will be on the flat with no wind. The motor is quite small, like a Bafang SWX, so I wouldn't expect a lot of power. I can't see any LED or LCD panel nor a pedal sensor, so what it is is a reasonable fatbike with the cheapest ebike kit added, which you could do yourself for about £600, except that uou wouldn't have the waterproof cover for the battery. i think that the $500 price must be very close to the cost price. It's not so low that it would definitely be a rip off. Your money isn't protected on Kickstarter. It'a a bit worrying that so much has been raised because there would not be so much pressure to stick to tight budgets. They could easily overspend, take a big wodge as a salary and then run out of money to supply all the bikes. Personally, I think it's risky. With duty, it'll cost £500 to £550. I think I'd rather pay £750 to build my own with nicer electrical stuff and the have the certainty of actually getting one.

It's interesting that they're all standing up on it. Is the saddle that uncomfortable?

This one has gears:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2768168.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:18091976845|tsid:59156|cid:189949525|lid:101861243365|nw:g|crid:62775591445|rnd:13948203961681860193|dvc:c|adp:1o6|bku:1

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: VictoryV

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this comment is not aimed specifically at the Storm bike but at projects on Kickstarter.

1) Kickstarter is not a store.
...Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project..
They say so here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backer questions

Basically, if you don't get what you thought you are going to get, take it out with the project team. There is no money back guarantee.

2) There are two types of funding, if it's set to flexible, your credit card will be charged even if the goal is not reached - so be extra careful.

Last edited:

M83

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 4, 2015
I have invested in a few successful projects. Nothing as much as this. The most I have previously was around US$200. I have had my share of unsuccessful ones too though. I think it's a bit hit and miss tbh, so I only invest in things that I can afford to not get i.e. not too much money wasted and things that I really want but cannot get else where.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Copenhagen wheel project did start very well with a lot of publicity in 2013 but suffered a lot of delay.
https://www.superpedestrian.com/
To be fair, most projects succeeded to the general satisfaction of their backers. Don't back the project because you want to buy a cheap bike though.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I do approve of the battery compartment ... apart from the fact it seems like a monumental waste of space ! I fitted a tad more in mine ;) ... but not for $600 :p I don't have the hinged door, but then with a 20Ah battery and charging socket I don't really need to swap it out !

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Just a little update on this...

There appears to growing concerns. This link has just been tweated to anyone / everyone in the world eBike industry.

https://electricfatbike.wordpress.com/2015/02/06/is-the-storm-e-fatbike-a-total-scam-or-the-most-important-crowdfunding-campaign-ever/

an interesting read, and possibly just more marketing... but it does make some valid points.
it's just a case that their marketing succeded beyond expectations. That is partly due to overselling but mostly due to the trust that the public has in large organisations 'too big to fail' so to speak.
If anything, their campaign has an unexpected positive: there is a HUGE pent up demand for a $500 e-bike. It's doable in the way they have shown but would certainly leave no operating margin for support.
The natural question is, why e-bikes are so damned expensive? you can walk into thousands of bike shops and walk out with a decent bike for $500 and add to it a $500 kit, you have a pretty good e-bike. So why pay $,$$$?

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I agree, when you look at what high end ebikes cost (i.e. around £3000), you could build as good an ebike yourself for a fraction of the cost, and have something unique that is your own awesome creation. Therefore the only reason to spend that much on an ebike is because you lack any practical ability when it comes to building something.