Inside the HL Downtube Battery

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
What happens when an ebike battery goes under a bus wheel

So, next question is... what now?

Most of the batteries are just dented and the circuit board for the battery conditioner is fortunately fine.

Where might I find a pinout for the conditioner?

What are the chances that the cells are no good, inside insulators damaged? How to check?

Has anyone tried the Vruzend battery kit?

http://vruzend.com/product/vruzend_basic_kit/

If anyone wonders how, the roads in Edinburgh have a number of potholes that seem to come and go daily. This one, I swerved into (not seeing it as it was night time) when a bus began pulling out from the bus stop just as I was passing. I hit the hole pretty hard, the chain fell off and the battery holder (I assume) flexed enough that the keylock (which was engaged) piston cleared its hole.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't trust those cells! I wouldn't bring them into my apartment from the photo some look like they are a big problem just waiting to happen. Go to your insurance company and file a claim on the whole battery. You could also file a complaint with whoever is responsible for roads.

D

Deleted member 4366

Dented cells shouldn't be used. You can get internal shorts that will pull the whole group down. You could salvage all the good cells and make a smaller battery, i.e. if it's 50 cells, go down to 40 and if it's a 60 cell one, go down to 50. 40 to 30 will probably not be able to give enough current.

From some of the things you wrote, it would appear that you don't know much about how lithium batteries work. Before doing anything, you need to research how the cell-groups are arranged, how the BMS works and the internal wiring. We all had to start somewhere.

You haven't filled in your profile properly re where you live, so I can't help you with other ways to get it sorted.

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
I had read this spec before posting, genuine cells seem fairly high spec before being written off:
https://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/ICR18650NH-2200.pdf
https://www.batteryspace.com/prod-specs/ICR18650NH-2200.pdf
7.4 crush
A charged battery cell is to be crushed between two flat surfaces. The force for the crushing is to be applied by a hydraulic ram with a 1.25 inch (32mm)diameter piston. The crushing is to be continued until a pressure reading of 17.2Mpa is reached on the hydraulic ram, applied force of 13kN. Once the maximum pressure has been obtained it is to be released.
The battery cell shall not rupture or catch fire.

7.5 impact
Drop a 10kg hammer from a height of 1m onto the cell that is placed on a flat surface. (The largest surface of the battery cell shall be perpendicular to the flat surface.)
Deformation of the battery cell is allowed, but there shall be no fire or explosion.

I'm no chemist, but have an understanding of ion flowing going back and forth and back in school we dropped lumps of lithium into a beaker of water for the laugh... Figured {cough} if the electrolyte wasn't leaking... probably should understand better why you can't put pressurised lithium batteries on an aeroplane.. the layout for the batteries was 5 lots of 10 in series, this much I knew.

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
hmmm... in thinking... shall not cause 'fire or explosion' probably should have re-read that line a few more times... being that is the minimum outcome...

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
I was kinda right about insulation, more a membrane tho... Alas, insurance attempt seems about the best way forward...

In Lithium-ion batteries, cathode and anode are separated by a thin – sometimes 10 microns – polyethylene separator. When this separator ruptures, a short circuit happens which initiates the process called thermal runaway.

Thermal runaway happens usually during charging. The temperature quickly rises to the melting point of the metallic lithium and causes a violent reaction.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
I am left with just 20 unblemished cells :( the rest are off to a recycling centre today. On the bright side, all with extremely close voltage readings. Well impressed. Which probably also is a big tick for using Hailong and Samsung suggesting the entire battery was well balanced. They do use some nice little touches and finish to building their battery.

Which leads to, who within UK might sell a HL battery sans charger or holder? Only seem to see 'kits'.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Which leads to, who within UK might sell a HL battery sans charger or holder? Only seem to see 'kits'.
Personally I'd try Jimmy at bga reworking or also Darren at Brighton ebikes. Jimmy builds all sorts and Darren uses HL on most of his kits I think. He might have an old case knocking about