Instructions from Dentist

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Just been to the dentist, and after the treatment he handed me a note...

1. Avoid cycling ....

2. Do not drink anything alcoholic.....

3. Take drugs.....

I was just a little surprised to see that not cycling gets the highest priority.

Nick

Edited to add: This does seem to be short term instructions, not general lifestyle advice

Last edited:

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Just been to the dentist, and after the treatment he handed me a note...

1. Avoid cycling ....

2. Do not drink anything alcoholic.....

3. Take drugs.....

I was just a little surprised to see that not cycling gets the highest priority.

Nick

Edited to add: This does seem to be short term instructions, not general lifestyle advice
Hi Tiberius

Those look like the instructions given to someone who has either just had a tooth extracted, or has been sedated for treatment. I assume it wasn't the latter, as I'm sure you'd have already guessed the sense of that instruction.
In the case of extractions, it is part of the general advice that excercise be avoided for the first few hours post extraction. It is unusual to name anything specific in the instructions (such as cycling), but cycling is a form of potentially hard exercise, so the instruction is valid. The reason is purely because during exercise your blood pressure can increase significantly, which renders the possibility of post-extraction haemorrhage from the socket much greater. Alcohol reduces clotting efficency and raises the blood pressure. Not sure about the 'drugs' bit...... rather too vague. Very much depends which drugs ;) !

Cheers, Phil

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Phil,

Yes, I thought I was getting a filling, but the dentist decided he had to pull it out instead.

The irony is that I spent the weekend at the other end of the country, at a party thrown by some dentist friends. If I'd known it was going to be a simple mechanical operation, I'm sure we could have done it in their garage - before we all got sedated.

Nick

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Hi Phil,

Yes, I thought I was getting a filling, but the dentist decided he had to pull it out instead.

The irony is that I spent the weekend at the other end of the country, at a party thrown by some dentist friends. If I'd known it was going to be a simple mechanical operation, I'm sure we could have done it in their garage - before we all got sedated.

Nick
Hi Nick

I had a tooth extracted on 2nd January of this year and had a note with all of yours but not specifically no cycling. But I did have no excercise so could be the same I guess? Also had no hot drinks too and no smoking.
I had spent 1st January in hospital with chest pain (Not my choice as NHS direct called the ambulance which took me in) and after being pumped with blood thinning drugs amongst other things discharged myself on the morning of the 2nd as had severe toothache with abcess, went to a dentist 2 hours later and had tooth out and it bled for hours! I did tell the dentist I'd had all these drugs and they were okay. I was wondering if they shouldn't have but I was sure glad they did! Just wondering if one of your dentist pals would have? :) Mind you I was in severe pain.

I couldn't have cycled if I wanted to. It was a very happy new year, not! :D

LOL, very ironic! maybe after you got sedated with no injection eh? :D Yikes, mind you, it may have bled more :eek: Hope all is well now?

Regards
Mandy

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
I hate going to the dentist, I was once offered by my then regular dentist three crowns for the price of two, I said no thanks - felt like I was in Tesco and the other supermarkets with all the bogoffs, nearly told him to bo....
Due to go for a check up in 6 months time, shan't go won't go, oh, I suppose I'd better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the case of extractions, it is part of the general advice that exercise be avoided for the first few hours post extraction.

Cheers, Phil
I've never been told that and for the last few extractions I've usually walked there and again the two miles home due to nowhere handy to park the car or secure the bike. Still alive though. :)

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I hate going to the dentist, I was once offered by my then regular dentist three crowns for the price of two, I said no thanks - felt like I was in Tesco and the other supermarkets with all the bogoffs, nearly told him to bo....
Due to go for a check up in 6 months time, shan't go won't go, oh, I suppose I'd better.
:D Me Too!! I hate it! I used to call it a phobia and now I simply call it fear! :eek: I only go when I have to, lol!!

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I think i am lucky as i live next door to a NHS dentist:D but i havent plucked up the courage to register yet i think i wait untill i get a toothache:eek: on a lighter note i should take delivery of my kalkhoff agattu in midweek so watch out those pesky hills i am in the saddle again.nigel.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I've never been told that and for the last few extractions I've usually walked there and again the two miles home due to nowhere handy to park the car or secure the bike. Still alive though. :)
Ignoring it is not usually fatal Flecc :D !.
The advice is generally given however, since failing to do so could potentially result in a calim of negligence on the part of the operator in the event of a post treatment complication.
Sadly we all live in highly litiginous society and the defence societies insist that we give the warnings and record that we have done so in the patient's notes. Naturally that does occaisionally result in some over zealous instruction!!

Phil

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Had to have a tooth out last week. Hurts like bloody hell!

About 15-16 years back I had to have all my wisdom teeth out at once. A week later I cycled into town and after tackling a particular b'stard of a hill could taste blood in my mouth. So the dentists advice to avoid cycling is very sensible and probably goes beyond the stock advice of 'avoid exercise'.