Inter-8 Geared Hub,

tomdeg

Just Joined
Sep 26, 2010
I’m thinking of fitting a 500W cyclone motor with a Nexus Inter-8 Geared Hub, to a recumbent trike
Anyone tried this thoughts on this combination appreciated

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum.

You may get a better response over on Endless-sphere.com, I think there are more Cyclone and recumbent owners there.....

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Greetings,

I have had a smaller Cyclone on an old long wheelbase recumbent with deralia gears for a couple of years and am very pleased with the performance.

I would much prefer hub gears and have 3 and 7 speed hubs on Panasonic powered bikes without any problems but these have much less power.

Driving style will have a major influence on the stress the gears are subjected to. Being mindful of harsh acceleration and allowing the motor to spin up in the gears would help. I have no concerns regarding my hopes to convert the recumbent to hub gears but the 500W motor will provide more urge than the best stoker would if it were a tandem and this is the normal criteria for hub gear evaluation.

Dave

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Personally i'd use an Alfine 8 hub as they're much more reliable. Also, the 11 speed Alfine which is due to be released anytime about now, is allegedly a LOT better than anything except a Rohloff, but still a lot cheaper. Probably a lot more than an Alfine 8 though.

I’m thinking of fitting a 500W cyclone motor with a Nexus Inter-8 Geared Hub, to a recumbent trike
i have not tried this combination but i will belief the power of the motor is to high for hub-gears. I read many time about brocken gears on using with motor

I suggest the "nuvinci" -hub for this, this is more stabil as a geared hub, also is more effectiv

regards
frank

Last edited: