Interpretation of a display item on the Bosch Intuvia

JohnF

Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2017
Ilkley
I have had my Trek Powerfly 5 FS for 2 days now. Trust me to pick the Hurricane Doris weather for a possible first ride, now postponed until tomorrow. A short spin up the road and back impressed me with the amount of power on tap.
I have been looking at the Bosch Intuvia display and seeking out the manual which I found on the web.
One question; how does one interpret the vertical bar graph to the right of the assist mode selected. It is called the 'Drive Unit Assistance Indicator'.There is no explanation of how to interpret this. Can anyone explain?
Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is at full assist when at max for each mode you are using.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will use less in eco mode if you want to save power but the harder you pedal it will go to max assist.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
So, the more power I put into pedalling, the lower will the height of the graph be, and the less the drain on the battery?
It's a measure of the power coming from the battery. I think there is about 20 rectangles making up bar graph. When none are black you are using no battery power when all are black you are using max battery power. When you are in the high power modes eg. Turbo or sport , the display is very sensitive and even moderate pushing on the pedals cause the bars to shoot up. When you are in the lower power assist eco and touring modes the barmeter is more sluggish. When you hit full speed on my bike (27 km hr ) irrespective of the mode, there is no bars displayed and if it drops to 26.9 , then a bar will momentary flicker.

Have you also noticed a gear up gear down indicator two arrows shapes on the top left of the display, most of the time these are not displayed, but if the motor is working too hard and low revs it will suggest you move to a lower gear and vice versa.

• Agree
Reactions: RobF

JohnF

Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2017
Ilkley
It's a measure of the power coming from the battery. I think there is about 20 rectangles making up bar graph. When none are black you are using no battery power when all are black you are using max battery power. When you are in the high power modes eg. Turbo or sport , the display is very sensitive and even moderate pushing on the pedals cause the bars to shoot up. When you are in the lower power assist eco and touring modes the barmeter is more sluggish. When you hit full speed on my bike (27 km hr ) irrespective of the mode, there is no bars displayed and if it drops to 26.9 , then a bar will momentary flicker.

Have you also noticed a gear up gear down indicator two arrows shapes on the top left of the display, most of the time these are not displayed, but if the motor is working too hard and low revs it will suggest you move to a lower gear and vice versa.
That's really helpful soundwave and Danidl.
I have only done 10 miles so far, and not seen the gear indicator, though it is switched on. The drive unit assistance indicator has been mostly blank but showing a little rise when in Tour mode going uphill.It will be interesting to monitor it on my ride tomorrow. Thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have the purion display now and those parts are not on it and i wont miss them tbh.

it also gets that back light out of my face at night ;)