iPhone app - Runkeeper

Alan B

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2011
Yatton
Those of you with an iPhone might be interested in this free app. Records all the details of your rides in tabular, graphical, and map formats.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the tip Alan. I see it is also available on Android.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I've downloaded this I'll get uploading soon!
Others cycle apps have seemed to have allthe features but rarely worked correctly.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I think its amazing.....but can anyone view your results ?.....hopefully, probably, not ?....as I would hate you all to see how little cycling I have got done the last couple of weeks :)

Lynda

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I have been using this App for some time to log my running activities. It logs distance, time, route, Calorie burn, pace and saves them on a web interface which can be shared.

However, there is one snag. The GPS distance measurement is hideously inaccurate and because virtually all of the other functions / measurements are derived from distance, this reduces Runkeeper to the status of iPhone stopwatch.

If you just want something that will draw a line on a map showing vaguely where you have cycled and how long it took you, this is the App for you.

There are many posts on the support page complaining about this, but Runkeeper either deny the problem exists, ignor questions or say that it is down to inaccuracies in the iPhone GPS. The latter is a strange response because Runkeeper used to be very accurate until they, "upgraded" it. Memory Map on the iPhone was and still is extremely accurate.

This isn't a good App.

Alan B

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2011
Yatton
I have been using this App for some time to log my running activities. It logs distance, time, route, Calorie burn, pace and saves them on a web interface which can be shared.

However, there is one snag. The GPS distance measurement is hideously inaccurate and because virtually all of the other functions / measurements are derived from distance, this reduces Runkeeper to the status of iPhone stopwatch.

If you just want something that will draw a line on a map showing vaguely where you have cycled and how long it took you, this is the App for you.

There are many posts on the support page complaining about this, but Runkeeper either deny the problem exists, ignor questions or say that it is down to inaccuracies in the iPhone GPS. The latter is a strange response because Runkeeper used to be very accurate until they, "upgraded" it. Memory Map on the iPhone was and still is extremely accurate.

This isn't a good App.
This doesn't appear to refect the feedback by iPhone users which is better than the Memory Map option, and doesn't match my experience with the software. Perhaps there's a locality issue with the strength of signal ?

Surprised you can be so critical of something which is free !

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If you go onto the support site via the Runkeeper web page you will see all of the issues regarding distance accuracy. There are quite a few. The Runkeeper feedback on the App store is censored so isn't a true reflection.

I know its partially free, but there is a paid version. That aside, it doesn't do what it is supposed to do and I think Runkeeper have a responsibility for addressing that. As I say, its a good stopwatch and you can recognise roughly where you have been from the approximation drawn onto the map.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'll try one on my way home tonight and see the results.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Heres my link.

Not the best cycle, lots of traffic, unassisted and a low rear tire. I know I can do alot betterrr and will endevour to show you. But for now gives me a low start point !

Cycling Activity 8.20 mi | RunKeeper

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I quite like this app. It's easy to use and fast. And it works not like the other ones that have failed on me.
Nice to see that the electric keeps a steady pace where as I die and slow down at hills lol

robelee

Pedelecer
May 11, 2009
Another thing you can do with Runkeeper is open your route using Google Earth - it's under advanced settings - once there you can play back route.

Rob

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
note to self....must put iPhone on wish/xmas/birthday/special treat list........

or........anyone know if there is a single gps device that will do cycling, walking (hill) and golf course ???????? is it just a matter of buying different cards for a base unit or are the units fundamentally different for each requirement.......

regards

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
If you go onto the support site via the Runkeeper web page you will see all of the issues regarding distance accuracy. There are quite a few. The Runkeeper feedback on the App store is censored so isn't a true reflection.

I know its partially free, but there is a paid version. That aside, it doesn't do what it is supposed to do and I think Runkeeper have a responsibility for addressing that. As I say, its a good stopwatch and you can recognise roughly where you have been from the approximation drawn onto the map.
There are lots of similar complaints on the Android marketplace as well, AFAIK that isn't censored. One comment said it worked better on the iPhone.