Is anyone offering an e-bike with type approval and throttle?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Would a 800 watt x30 mph light electric moped be a good alternative,would it be attractive to pedelecs members?. The upside is you can have enough power to climb hills without pedalling,you can have twist and go throttles.
The downside is that it must be registered and taxed(zero cost),wear a helmet,insurance,not allowed on cycle tracks.
Comments welcome?
KudosDave
Definitely not for me as an alternative to a pedelec. I wouldn't even want that just for commuting, since for that I'd just go the whole way to a proper scooter, similar disadvantages with many more advantages.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Again if you read the links there are VCA officers placed globally so type approval for L1e-A can be sort in China as an addition to EN15149 and the complete imported product placed immediately for sale without further modification.
Indeed, it just remains to see if a manufacturer will make the decision to do it. Since there will be a cost for each model type approved, whether it's worthwhile will depend on the sales volume.

On this side of the pond only the UK are likely to be interested, but if at 700 watts rating, the US market could boost the sales sufficiently to make it worthwhile. So it would then depend on the popularity of a model chosen to be a type approved one.

Alternatively limiting to a 500 watts rating would additionally open the model up to the S class market in Germany, The Netherlands and soon France.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Definitely not for me as an alternative to a pedelec. I wouldn't even want that just for commuting, since for that I'd just go the whole way to a proper scooter, similar disadvantages with many more advantages.
Like a 0.8 € cent full tank every 100 km :p Sorry couldn't resist.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like a 0.8 € cent full tank every 100 km :p Sorry couldn't resist.
Petrol cost doesn't worry me. My car can get around 47 mpg if I pussy-foot, but in practice I get about 27 mpg overall because I prefer to just use it properly to it's potential.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
A pedelec, with full throttle or/and PAS up to 15.5 MPH and if you do not want assist a button or switch to isolate it. simple.