Is E the answer?

maybE

Just Joined
Jan 9, 2017
Nottingham
The question is "what will enable me to continue cycling as my main form of exercise (and pleasure!)?" So I am here to help me decide whether or not the answer is "E" (hence the user name). The options seem to be two - "assistance" or a Brompton (which I can take on the bus for hill home every day). (There is actually a third - but moving house is even more expensive than the other two!)

While I know quite a lot about two wheelers, pedal and petrol, E bike tech is at present a closed book - I hope to at least open it.

Thanks and hello.

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Welcome and good luck!

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

E = MC², so the bigger M is, the higher is E (C is constant), which means those that ate too many pies need E, but in reply to your question, "Is E the answer", no, 42 is the answer.

maybE

Just Joined
Jan 9, 2017
Nottingham
E = MC², so the bigger M is, the higher is E (C is constant), which means those that ate too many pies need E, but in reply to your question, "Is E the answer", no, 42 is the answer.
So very helpful - guess I'll do my research elsewhere. Best to get the fel of a Forum before wasting too much time.

• :D

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
So very helpful - guess I'll do my research elsewhere. Best to get the fel of a Forum before wasting too much time.
Is this a record before a new poster gets the hump?

I'm certain D8veh was just being friendly and didn't intend any offence.

A D8veh is a deceptively simple machine. Here's how it works:

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Is this a record before a new poster gets the hump?

I'm certain D8veh was just being friendly and didn't intend any offence.

A D8veh is a deceptively simple machine. Here's how it works:

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
This is what happens when d8veh is trying the decaf coffee.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
The question is "what will enable me to continue cycling as my main form of exercise (and pleasure!)?" So I am here to help me decide whether or not the answer is "E" (hence the user name). The options seem to be two - "assistance" or a Brompton (which I can take on the bus for hill home every day). (There is actually a third - but moving house is even more expensive than the other two!)

While I know quite a lot about two wheelers, pedal and petrol, E bike tech is at present a closed book - I hope to at least open it.

Thanks and hello.
Having commuted 20miles daily with 'assistance' I would recommend that one, it is great fun and also gives the sence of achievement every day, probably easier than taking a foldable with you on a bus too but depends on a lot of things like distance etc.

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
We don't know you, what you need and want.
However the classic ebike story starts with test rides.
You go wow. The bike takes off so easily and zips up hills.
You get a bike and then it's any excuse to go for a ride, just nipping out to the shops dear..
Then it splits some people just get lazy and want more power .
Some get fitter and go back to a normal bike.
Some go mad and take up mountain biking and love the climbs nearly as much as the descents.
And some just commute saving time and money.

Where do you want to go?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Welcome to the forum and Au revoir , nice to have got to know you.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Thanks and hello.
Really it depends on what you want to do.......
All bikes , ebikes as well as ordinary bikes will demand some energy from you .. if only pushing off from the pavement. Ebikes make it easier to take some excercise because of the immediate wow factor. You travel faster, and exert less effort than on an ordinary bike, but because it is more fun you may do it more often. Then again All bikes, except some recumbent types are hard on the bum.
Best advice , repeated repeatedly on this site..... read the many posts. make up your own opinion and test ride a number of different types

Good luck and enjoy

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
if the main problem is the hill then e bikes are a good solution especially if you are able to ride a non ebike reasonably well. i.e the brompton.
if two wheelers pedal and petrol are your thing then i would be fairly confident that you will like ebikes
if you haven,t already done so i would recommend that you try some.
i have given many people a try on my bike and everyone was impressed .
some have even bought one even though they were not in the market and just liked the fun angle
good luck with your research.

• Agree

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I got the feel of this forum by reading nearly every thread right back to summer 2015. Very helpful. Even pmd a couple of guys for info. Again very helpful.

• Agree

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I've got both an e-bike and a Brommie.

As a choice between catching the bus or riding my e-bike, the e-bike's gonna win every time. This gets re-iterated every time I cycle past a bus, or bus stop with people waiting at it.

Gaz

Last edited: