Is it Possible.....#2

stemil

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Twickenham
For lead acid batteries to fail suddenly? By that I mean that they have good charge and range one minute then all of a sudden nothing.
The batteries are about 2 years old and have given very good service up to now, I'm still getting 38v, but the moment any load is put on them the voltage drops down to under 4 volts.
My experience in the past has been that they just get weaker and weaker then peter out.:(

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Does sound like a fault with the battery. Usually getting a battery of any kind to read a voltage is simple. But usually when you apply load is the give away.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've already replied to your fuller question in the other section stemil, but here's that answer:

It is possible yes, the lead plates as they thin with age can buckle and short. With a weak and buckled plate almost touching an adjacent one, applying a load results in a further small movement and resulting shorting of the voltage.

Two years is quite a good life in e-bike usage.

D

Deleted member 4366

One thing you could try is to short them out completely for a short time. ideally, you want to put a bit of metal in the connectors or hold each with a pair of pliers, because the connectors might get damaged. At the full 36v rather than individual batteries, Touch the two connectors together for about 1/4 of a second. you'll get sparks and they may get hot so be careful. What this does is to burn off any whiskers between the plates, which can form with age. It's worth a try because they're not working at the moment.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Be very careful A fully charge battery can vaporize anything you short the battery with giving you serious BURNS use heavy gloves our pliers

Frank