Is it possible to convert a pre made electric bike ?

Todd

De-registered
Jul 22, 2015
a question for all, do any company's convert pre made electric bikes, eg Freego folding electric bike in to a 500w rear hub motor, instead of a 250w motor ??

D

Deleted member 4366

I've done it with a branded electric bike. It's very simple. I pulled off all the electrics and the rear hub-motor, and stuck in a 48v 500w Bafang BPM powered by a 48v 09 bottle battery with the controller in it. All the stuff came from BMSBattery for about £600. The speed was nearly the same at about 20 mph, but the torque was more or less doubled. The bike had the cyclindrical bottle battery before, so didn't look a lot different. With a 250w label on the motor, nobody would notice.

You should be able to do it yourself if you can solder the odd connector or two. I don't know anybody that would do it for you.

Todd

De-registered
Jul 22, 2015
I've done it with a branded electric bike. It's very simple. I pulled off all the electrics and the rear hub-motor, and stuck in a 48v 500w Bafang BPM powered by a 48v 09 bottle battery with the controller in it. All the stuff came from BMSBattery for about £600. The speed was nearly the same at about 20 mph, but the torque was more or less doubled. The bike had the cyclindrical bottle battery before, so didn't look a lot different. With a 250w label on the motor, nobody would notice.

You should be able to do it yourself if you can solder the odd connector or two. I don't know anybody that would do it for you.
Thanks d8veh, helpful as always

Todd

De-registered
Jul 22, 2015

Hi d8veh,

Thought I'd let you know I've gone for the zephyr b, as I don't know anybody that would be willing to build me a bike, my local bike store wanted £140 to convert a bike if I get the kit, but they have only ever converted 1 bike before !
But thanks for your help and advice

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
few members realize how good the Zephyr-B really is.