Is it possible to deregulate the Salisbury?

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
This is possibly a touchy subject, but i just wondered if anyone had discovered how to deregulate the Salisbury. It would be great if i could get another 5mph out of the bike, even if it meant shorter distances between recharge.

The clock's ticking, do i cut the green or the red wire :)

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I can't say with absolute certainty Ajax, but I very much doubt it would be possible.
Most bikes are not restricted as such, they are simply designed to have a natural maximum speed that falls within legal requirements, to design things differently usually compromises hill climbing ability.

Normally the only way to get more speed is to fit a higher voltage battery, but this has many pitfalls and is not for the faint hearted.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's as Ian says, and the Salisbury is one of the lower powered bikes on the market anyway, it's peak power half that of the most powerful, so that alone severely limits the potential.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Wow, do you mean there are more powerful e-bikes out there? :)

I guess its down to the wattage of the motor, or isnt that the
issue. suppose i were to replace the 200w with a 250w, would
that help? Like i said, i dont mind shorter rides distances as i
top-up most days anyway.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those 200 / 250 watt figures are just nominal averages for legal purposes.

E-bike motors have peak powers that they can reach, and in the case of the Salisbury it's just over 270 watts on NiMh and 300 watts on LPX batteries.

The most powerful are like the eZee Quando at 576 watts peak, and their F series bikes at about 680 watts peak, but most e-bikes are around 400 / 450 watts peak power.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
680 Watts! Now there's something to dream about...

I wonder if its possible for either Powercyle, or a third party company,
to offer a 'booster pack'. This would ideally be a higher voltage battery,
and instructions on how to install and get the most out of it.

I wouldn't mind spending an extra £50 for the added performance. I.E
£250 instead of £200 for a replacment battery. Even then the cost of
the Li-pols are sure to fall with so many more [asian] manufactures
offering higher spec devices.

The alternatiive is to sell my current and upgrade..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It really wouldn't be worth it. It wouldn't only be the battery, some £300 upwards these days for a good one, but the higher voltage would require a new controller as well. Since on production bikes some of the bikes wiring is often integrated with that, it could all get complicated as well as expensive.

You'd be surprised how little is gained by higher power bikes anyway. The speed is the same, restricted to 15 mph, but you get faster hill climbing and sometimes better steep hill capability. The fact is that e-bikes are not performance machines, not even electric bikes, just electric assist bikes, and that will soon be reinforced when the pedelec only law comes in, meaning power only when pedalling.

Best to try a few when you get the opportunities before going in for expensive upgrades. If you can get to Presteigne next weekend you'll have the opportunity to try out all the leading machines.