Is it possible to remove easily a rear wheel?

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
I know this is not a question of e-bikes per se, but since this forum is such an invaluable source of good ideas and people, I dare to ask:

I have been thinking about removing easily both wheels, say on a daily basis (to reduce volume).

With the front wheel, it seems quite easy with a quick release skewer.

But for the rear wheel, things are more complex. There are different possibilities:

- There is a rear motor yes / no
- Singlespeed / derrailleur / IGH

The issue of having a rear motor does not seem too relevant (apart from the weight in comparison to a normal rear hub).

The second issue is more involved: singlespeeds do not tend to have quick release skewers (there is an article by Sheldon Brown arguing that it is possible to have a quick release skewer with a SS, if the skewer is a specific one), apparently ruling them out.

Derrailleur and IGH have chains. I believe it is unavoidable (please correct me if I am wrong) to touch the chain in order to remove the rear wheel, making the whole exercise close to pointless (grease etc). It seems IGH should be a bit better due to lack of tensioner, but it is no panacea either.

Any ideas of which could be the best way (if any) to remove easily the wheels on a recurrent basis?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A belt drive single speed QD spindle bike would be the best design for this purpose, it would be clean and simple to remove the rear wheel.

More practical would be what's available, a hub gear with belt drive, but constantly undoing and tightening the wheel nuts could cause wear problems. Also belt alignment is critical, so chain adjusters added to the rear to ensure the same wheel position every time would help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arbol

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
A belt drive single speed QD spindle bike would be the best design for this purpose, it would be clean and simple to remove the rear wheel.

More practical would be what's available, a hub gear with belt drive, but constantly undoing and tightening the wheel nuts could cause wear problems. Also belt alignment is critical, so chain adjusters added to the rear to ensure the same wheel position every time would help.
What is QD, is it the same as Quick Release?

Would it be possible, under your "what's available" option, not to have wheel nuts, but only a quick release?

I fear my lack of knowledge does not allow me to fully comprehend your explanation. I do not know what a QD spindle or a chain adjuster is (is a chain adjuster a chaintug such as http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSOOCT/on-one-chaintug ?). May I ask for further explanation, please?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, QD is QR and the chain adjuster is a chaintug like the one you've illustrated.

Unfortunately it's impossible to have quick release spindles with hub gears since the gearchange mechanism uses the spindle centre run.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the GoCycle has a very clever way of removing both wheels

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Really clever method for the GoCycle:

Wonderful engineering, awful aesthetics (for my particular taste).

Is it possible to use the same method of the GoCycle in a relatively easy way for a normal bike?

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Unfortunately it's impossible to have quick release spindles with hub gears since the gearchange mechanism uses the spindle centre run.
So, "it's impossible to have quick release spindles with hub gears", but it is possible with a single speed, right? Is there a link to see how a SS with the description you have suggested, somebody is able to remove a rear wheel like this?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, a single speed QR is possible, and of course even a common cassette derailler QR wheel can be used as single speed with the rear gearchange mechanism removed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And not the only single side one of course, the Mike Burrows designs have often have them over years. They include the Giant Halfway folder, the 8freight and the Ratcatcher. They are bolt on though, standard bike components aren't strong enough for single side QR.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Yes, a single speed QR is possible, and of course even a common cassette derailler QR wheel can be used as single speed with the rear gearchange mechanism removed.
Both for horizontal dropouts ("exit" of the wheel is towards the front) and for track "dropouts" (not really dropouts)?

Is there a mechanism for that (including a QR) which allows a dummy like to me to "bullet proof" the removal and repositioning of the wheel (ie always well positioned, no grease, etc)?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To reposition in a slot mount is why i suggested the chain adjusters, since the could give the right position if undisturbed.

Best though for a single speed QR rear wheel bike would be a dropout frame, any chain adjustment achieved with an idler arm. Better with a toothed belt since no adjustment necessary then if the frame length was right for the belt to start with.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Thanks, flecc, for all your comments.

Some related questions:

1. The idler arm is something like this, right?

http://kcbiker.blogspot.com.es/2010/06/motor-bike-idler-re-design.html

If I understand correctly, the idler arm would allow the chain (or better, belt) to remain in the same position when the wheel is removed, unlike usually (without idler arms), when the chain just remains hanging below the chainstays.

2. When you say "Best though for a single speed QR rear wheel bike would be a dropout frame", do you refer to a vertical dropout (and not a horizontal dropout, or a track "dropout") like the images at the following link, right?:

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/bicycle_frame_dropouts.html

3. Do you have any picture (or similar) of a configuration like the one you suggest: single speed QR + dropout frame + idler arm + toothed belt? This seems really a great configuration, and I would like to see how it looks like, and how easy / difficult it is to remove / reposition a rear wheel (ie, if somebody as dummy as myself could do it recurrently without problems)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, dropout strictly speaking refers to a single location for the spindle, rather than a slot.

The photo below shows a dropout frame with an idler arm fitted, in this case using SRAM's frame adapter plate for adding a rear derailleur mechanism. These idler arms are available from a number of sources. When searching, some refer to them as chain tensioners:

Some of these are spring loaded, some fixed, either is ok with a fixed spindle location dropout.

I don't know of a photo of a toothed belt setup for this, since toothed belt bikes have their frame length designed for one of the standard belt lengths. That means they don't need an idler of course.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Ah, now I understand: you were not suggesting the configuration:

"single speed QR + dropout frame + idler arm + toothed belt"

but the one:

"single speed QR + dropout frame + toothed belt"

So in fact, a "standard" dropout frame (of course, "broken" to allow the belt in), a toothed belt and a QR skewer.

If I understand correctly, this configuration would be easy to remove the wheel (basically, as easy as a chain + derrailleur one), but with two additional advantages:

- No grease in the fingers
- The belt would not be hanging below as a chain, or at least, much less

Is this correct?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's correct. The problems are to have a frame/front toothed belt "sprocket" combination of a length to suit one of the standard belt lengths, and with a detachable section to allow belt mounting.

Arbol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2013
Thanks, now I understand.

The sprocket for a belt is usually much wider than the sprocket for a chain. Is it usually plug-and-play to add it to a motor (say a motor for singlespeed), or it has to be a motor that is adapted to a belt (ie, no motor AFAIK ... or ask d8veh for a clever idea of how to do it :) )?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Since belt drive bikes have been original equipment designs, I'm not sure about the front sprocket fitting even for a normal bike, and some crank drive units have special chainwheel mountings. The original Bosch unit could be had on bikes with belt drive, but I'm not sure about the new small front sprocket version.

d8veh may well have an answer when he returns from living it up in Shanghai.