Is it Torque not Speed what we are really looking for?

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
I read with interest the long thread regarding the law and e bikes. Rather than a higher top speed is it not a higher pulling power that we are really looking for so that we can maintain the 15.5mph across all topography. I for one would love a bike that could maintain the max legal speed up and down dale.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
With the way that Hub motors work with peak torque being at half the rpm range it would be difficult with conventional hub motors.
They'd need to be a speed cut out rather than the rpm / volt combo.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I for one would love a bike that could maintain the max legal speed up and down dale.
Gets my vote, too, PJM. I don't think there are many forum members (although there are some) to whom high top speed matters that much, but more torque? Every time!

A

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
thats why i like the bpm. Even at 36v it doesn't slow down to much uphils. I still hit around 17mph uphill. I am peddling like mad though in the highest gear on the bike though.

Anything past 25mph and my legs need another higher gear which my bike doesn't have. In comparison the smaller motor i'd have to drop to gear 5 to go up the same hill. Still pretty good compared to riding un assisted though.

But torque is way better than top speed. Anything past 20mph is quick for a push bike. Well on a flat i think. Its ok when going down hill though.

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
It depends on the application. A lot of people want an ebike for measure use in varied geography in which case you'd lean towards torque. I, on the other hand, simply want a quick commuting machine in the flat lands of Cambridge so for me speed is more important. There is no definitive answer, only what suits you and what you want from it.

D

Deleted member 4366

Anything past 25mph and my legs need another higher gear which my bike doesn't have. In comparison the smaller motor i'd have to drop to gear 5 to go up the same hill. Still pretty good compared to riding un assisted though.

But torque is way better than top speed. Anything past 20mph is quick for a push bike. Well on a flat i think. Its ok when going down hill though.
You need something like this. You need a front derailleur as well, then you have the best of both worlds. I find this gearing better because you're not in top gear all the time.
Campagnolo chainset cranks set crankset 170mm 53/39 | eBay UK

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
having a larger chain ring at over 48 teeth would help. I will look at investing!

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hill climbers

Hi

We are the UK distributor for Nine continents motors Google them and see the results WE have supplied high torque motors for 5 years :)

The motors are direct drive you can input 36 volt to 72 volts Front or rear drive

For Torque against speed we have 3 different windings 5 / 6/ 7

we supply the 7 windings as standard best hill climbing you can get

our Infineion controllers come in 3 formats

12 mosfet 33 amps

15 mosfets 37 amps

18 mosfets 52 amps ( we call this Mad Max )

All auto detect 36 or 48 volts

All controllers out off the box set to max 15 MPH for the UK ;)

As for battery's we now supply 36 and 48 volts 10 AH / 15AH / 20 AH

Frank:cool:

Last edited:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I, on the other hand, simply want a quick commuting machine in the flat lands of Cambridge so for me speed is more important.
Wouldn't a motor cycle be better for that? Even a 50cc scooter would be faster than any electric bike.

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Wouldn't a motor cycle be better for that? Even a 50cc scooter would be faster than any electric bike.
True, but I want to shed the petrol dependency. Also, the route I want to take in to work on my bike is closed to motor vehicles, if I had a scooter the alternative is the A14 which I don't want to be anywhere near on two wheels first thing in the morning - too busy, lots of lorries driving too close and idiots chopping in and out of lanes. I don't mind it in the car as I'm surrounded by a ton of metal, but no way would I want to be there on a scooter!

I also miss riding my bike to work. I used to do the 2.5 miles before I moved to outside of Cambs, now I'm 10 miles each way.

BCM

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2011
I read with interest the long thread regarding the law and e bikes. Rather than a higher top speed is it not a higher pulling power that we are really looking for so that we can maintain the 15.5mph across all topography. I for one would love a bike that could maintain the max legal speed up and down dale.
I’ve got to completely agree with you PJM, surely torque has got to be the way forward, personally I find my Wisper deals with most hills a dream but the more torque the better, I’m more than happy with the 15.5 mph limit, I think as time goes by pedelecs will get lighter due to battery technology etc. So I think pedelecs will become capable of ever faster speeds, if the rider wants to put in the effort, but with the road conditions in the UK 15.5 mph suits me most of the time.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Also, the route I want to take in to work on my bike is closed to motor vehicles
But if you use a fast electric bike, in what way isn't that a motor vehicle?

If the reason for your route being closed to motor vehicles is that it is not suitable for high speeds presumably because there are walkers and cyclists there, you obviously wouldn't want to go fast.

If your ebike could exceed the legal limits, you'd be driving without tax, insurance and helmet on a pedestrian way, so you'd have to use the road for reasons of the law.

peasjam

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
But if you use a fast electric bike, in what way isn't that a motor vehicle?

If the reason for your route being closed to motor vehicles is that it is not suitable for high speeds presumably because there are walkers and cyclists there, you obviously wouldn't want to go fast.

If your ebike could exceed the legal limits, you'd be driving without tax, insurance and helmet on a pedestrian way, so you'd have to use the road for reasons of the law.
Yep I'm aware of the legalities. I'm not actually sure why the road is closed to vehicles, it's just a 'normal' tarmac back road in appearances. Quite a few cars use it as a short cut if the A14 is bad. This is the road, in fact (Longstanton road)
I appreciate the issues, but having a bike that exceeds the limits doesn't imply that it is or will be ridden irresponsibly. After all, riding in some areas even at 15mph can be dangerous or at the very least inconsiderate. Just because it can go over 15mph it doesn't mean it always will.

I know this kind of set up isn't for everyone and it's likely I'm firmly in the minority. That's fine, but I wanted to show that there can be a valid reason to not automatically go for torque over speed but that obviously depends on what you want from it.