Is my TSDZ2 engine dead?

Alexey

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2021
I've just bought and installed TSDZ2 250w / 36v and it does not work.
Did I miss some button or config setting?
- Battery fully charged;
- Speed sensor installed;
- I don't have throttle lever;
- Screen is working, shows battery, shows speed, all the buttons work, I can change assist level;
- Set walk assist to ON (went to settings using power+i, then pressed i four times, VLCD5);

The engine looks dead. Tried running a bike, tried walking (hold - button for walk assist). Not a single sign of life, no sound etc.

Then installed both e-brakes - no change.Tried disconnecting speed sensor/brakes - no change.

I don't have throttle lever, tried to touch contacts with a screwdriver - no effect.

Anything else I can do before sending the bike to the nearest city service center?

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020
I've just bought and installed TSDZ2 250w / 36v and it does not work.
Did I miss some button or config setting?
- Battery fully charged;
- Speed sensor installed;
- I don't have throttle lever;
- Screen is working, shows battery, shows speed, all the buttons work, I can change assist level;
- Set walk assist to ON (went to settings using power+i, then pressed i four times, VLCD5);

The engine looks dead. Tried running a bike, tried walking (hold - button for walk assist). Not a single sign of life, no sound etc.

Then installed both e-brakes - no change.Tried disconnecting speed sensor/brakes - no change.

I don't have throttle lever, tried to touch contacts with a screwdriver - no effect.

Anything else I can do before sending the bike to the nearest city service center?
What is the exact voltage being supplied from the battery?
I have a 48v version, the battery when fully charged gives over 53v.
The TSDZ will not work until a few volts have been consumed! I usually do a couple of miles with the battery on my BBS02 to reduce the voltage.
The firmware on the stock TSDZ2 is dire (actually its crap!)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I very much doubt that it's dead. You need to tell us a bit more about your situation. Which battery do you have? What is its exact voltage measured with a meter?

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Suspect its a battery voltage as mentioned above , if you shorted the throttle contacts :eek: it is probably fried now the 5v supply is not protected official service centre is in italy or return to the seller

Reactions: MontyPAS

Alexey

May 28, 2021
The battery is 36v 10.4 Ah, currently it gives 41.8v. hm.. How to discharge it?

Alexey

May 28, 2021
Discharged to 40v using a suitable chosen power resistor (kettle). Still does not work.. But I have a nice hot tee now.

Reactions: vfr400

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The display vlcd 5 is factory flashed to suit the motor and a 48v will not work on a 36v it will come on and show the display , but does not start the motor yet another tsdz2 quirk /pain in the ..... not able to change via the display :mad: ,the 8 pin display kit has a throttle the 6 pin does not again not interchangeable ps the display has 3 plugs the outer 2 are the brakes
The open source software can solve this

stobbie

Just Joined
May 28, 2021
You do also have the magnet for the speed sensor installed don't you, and in the right location?

Alexey

May 28, 2021
Finally it started working. I guess the initial issue was battery overcharge (41.5 instead of 36). After discharging it was tested at home through walk assist function, but the last does not work for some reason. Nevertheless, today before sending to service tested it one more time outside - and it works!

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
Finally it started working. I guess the initial issue was battery overcharge (41.5 instead of 36). After discharging it was tested at home through walk assist function, but the last does not work for some reason. Nevertheless, today before sending to service tested it one more time outside - and it works!
Seems strange, mine 36V version works at 42V.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
41 .5v is a normal voltage for a 36v battery when fully charged, any where from 41.5 - 42v is good. the usable voltage range is 32v - 42v, 36v is the nominal battery rating at about 50%.