Is nothing simple anymore ?

B2stealth

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 15, 2015
Worcestershire
Hi all, yet another newbie.
I brought my first pedelec about 8 weeks ago, having spent about 2 months considering it and looking into what would suit my requirements.
My little girl was starting school and we would be biking there together, its only half a mile but she had only just learnt to ride her bike without stabilisers, I would then ride to work, a further 1.5 mile, across town.
The reverse return journey included, by car would be about an hour, 5% journey 95% sat in traffic going slower than walking.
I had done a few practice runs on my old mountain bike which is what me made me think of electric power, suspension, good brakes and there are a few steep hills.
As I am 49 and no longer a spring chicken, I needed a bike that would be comfortable.
So my list then was.....
Front and rear suspension- so a mountain bike type. Disc brakes so I could think I was 18 again riding my first motorbike with disc's. Ideally foldable. Hidden or concealed battery/electrics, after all, I didn't want an electric bike that looked like an eleçtric bike.
I purchased off the interweb and received my poor quality bike, it had discs, front and rear suspension, it folded, throttle and pedal assist, I really enjoyed it but it's cheapness shone through during the assembly stage.
With help from PayPal I got my money back and I then started to look again.... Again on the web.
I spent weeks looking but it became evident that I would need to spend more than I wanted.
I Was at the point of giving up the search when I came across a photo a bike.
My heart immediately knew that was the bike I wanted.
As it turned out the bike is made and sold in China (or that could be wrong) and possibly distributed in USA.
I did some more digging and came across one for sale about 50 miles away, second hand but as good as new, having only done 16 miles....what a result!
I went to see and test rode it, it didn't to feel to fit me too well, the seat even on a low setting is high to the ground but low to the pedals, which means I can just touch the floor with my feet but my feet are quite high and legs are well bent on the top stroke of the pedal.
I'm average height at 5'10"
It was quite a reach both forward and down to reach the bars, which puts the back in an uncomfortable arc and then sends the weight forward onto your thumbs, rather than a comfortable back straight, arms out and slightly bent posture.
Although the bars are in front of the handler stem it felt quite nervous and twitchy over bumps when arm signaling and riding one handed.
The pedal assist has about half a crank turn delay, both on and off which means you have to anticipate the input required for go and stop.
Anyway all that aside and despite a brave battle between my head and my heart..... It looked awesome, so I paid the man and happily loaded the car for home.
I have had it a few weeks now and I'm slowly getting it acceptably comfortable.
I put a bar riser on, moved the seat forward in its slider and turned the seat post round, it took some pressure of the wrists and lifted me arms to almost straighten me back.
I really do like the awesome look of the bike, it's nearly comfortable to ride, the power assist part is fine when your out on the open road, but when your following a 4 yr old on her bike who is constantly stop start, picking up twigs and leaves etc the pedal assist is useless to point of almost keep banging into her, but...... And it's a big but-trying to find someone local who can help when it goes wrong is a lot more challenging.
I have a mechanical background for that side of it, but as for the electronics-pun intended... You may as well be talking in Chinese !
Well I do have questions including getting a very odd shaped battery replacement etc... But I'll ask those in the appropriate place.IMAG2725.jpg
On yeah and its called a Crane
Made by the Fu Jiang vehicle company ltd in China... I think.
Cheers all and happy pedaling..... Or not (pedaling)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Gosh, I feel for you. A four year old child at 49, no wonder you want an electric bike for a two mile journey.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I went to see and test rode it, it didn't to feel to fit me too well, the seat even on a low setting is high to the ground but low to the pedals, which means I can just touch the floor with my feet but my feet are quite high and legs are well bent on the top stroke of the pedal.
I'm average height at 5'10"
It was quite a reach both forward and down to reach the bars, which puts the back in an uncomfortable arc and then sends the weight forward onto your thumbs, rather than a comfortable back straight, arms out and slightly bent posture.
Although the bars are in front of the handler stem it felt quite nervous and twitchy over bumps when arm signaling and riding one handed.
Well yes the frame geometry does look wrong. Is it just the photo or is the headset almost vertical?

B2stealth

Oct 15, 2015
Worcestershire
Hi, yes the headset looks almost vertical which is partly I guess why it's such a long stretch to the bars.
I tried to measure it and my best guesstimate is 13.5 degrees from a vertical upright using a spirit level.
Strange that the frame description is as follows..

6061 aluminum alloy, design based on human

I'd like to meet the human they based it on

Last edited:

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Crikey. Are you perhaps Jessie Mach, an ex-motorcycle cop injured in the line of duty. Now a police troubleshooter, recruited for a top secret government mission to riiiiiiiide Street Haaaaaawk, an all-terrain attack motorcycle designed to fight urban criiiiiiiiime. Capable of incredible speeeeeeeeeeds of up to 300 miiiiiiiiiles an hour and immense firepower. Only one man, federal agent Norman Tuttle knows Jessie Mach's true identity. The man, the machine, Street Haaaaaaaaaawk. ?

B2stealth

Oct 15, 2015
Worcestershire
:):):):)
Yes very good that.
Yes I did think I was, up until I found an episode to watch-them thought actually, urgh NO.
And yes I did watch it. ....when I were a lad o_O
It's still going well although I think the battery is getting a little (more) tired.
Cheers
Mark

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
From a woman's point of view, I think your bike is very handsome. Awesome actually! You should probably buy a spiderman costume to go with it!

Cooper

Dec 17, 2015
Rye, East Sussex
I was at an airshow in Quonset, Rhode Island once, talking on the phone, and I felt this peculiar rumble in my bones, looked up...and a B2 bomber purred over my head. Holy cow, I didn't know they were silent to human ears as well as radar!

That bike is one weird mama-jama.