It's getting a bit silly now!!!

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Could someone do the maths please? How big a battery would you need to be carrying to do 60 miles distance at 45mph without pedalling?:confused:

......... and they would need to some sized cables to carry 12kw wouldn't they? Dangerous!:eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's the USA's 30 mph Tidal Force e-bike which normally has the battery in one of the large hubs. In this instance it has two motors, though the front one in the video seems to be a different one from that in the still photo.

The 12,000 watts is probably an exaggeration, judging by the silly little battery that's in use in the video.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
12,000 watt hour would be more than enough to power a whole house, especially one with electric heating and water!

I reckon they either meant 1,200 or are trying to fool those who don't know much about these things into a quick sale. I drove a milkfloat once and I don't think the motor on that was so high, and a single motor out of the tube train I had a go on probably compares, with a much higher voltage of over 600dc though I have no idea of the exact figure. Must be powerful motors because I drove it in the depot at low speed when it was empty, then between a couple of stations in rush hour, on a 6-8 car train the weight of the people had very little noticeable effect on the acceleration, but perhaps more on the braking! The controller had 3 positions, Shunt, Series, and Parallel, to start off from a station it goes straight to parallel! In the depot for low speeds I used shunt only, to get a speed of 5-10mph. Which isn't too different to my ebike, I whack it to full throttle even though you aren't supposed to!

Enough about train motors! I wouldn't like to go over 40mph on a bike like that. I'd feel safer on a 500cc motorcycle, because of the weight and the wider tyres.

Batteries in the wheel? Never heard that before! In fact I struggle to see how that would work reliably, due to the centrifugal forces as well as the shock from the road, and not to mention taking them out to charge. I'm intrigued! Any more information on that?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Well if the seller continues to ride like he does in the single motor videos on the other items he has for sale he won't be around much longer!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Tidal Force motor alone can probably produce over 1500 watts peak with the controller in standard trim, hence it's 30 mph capability. That extra front motor in the video is probaby a Crystalyte, Puma or similar with goodness knows what controller, so there could be at least 2000 watts more there.

If the 55 mph is true, that sort of power would be necessary, compare with the faster electric scooters which are 4500 watts rated.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I'd stay well away from that eBay post as there's way too many unanswered questions.

As far as I can tell, there are people on ES who have pretty much nailed high power e-bikes and it's all more or less off the shelf. At a price. High power direct drive hubs, modified high current controllers, 72V battery packs. 40mph downhill mountain bikes or what the Americans laughingly call "Commuter" bikes seem to be fairly straight forwards to create. There's a market in there somewhere for somebody to package and productise all this. But like the OP says "It's all getting a bit silly now" if it's for use in the EU. And type approval and licensing mean that what is really an extreme device exploring the outer limits of bicycles would have to be turned into a motorcycle, with all that entails.

monkoffunk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2010
The problem with these bikes is that they attract unwanted attention towards e-bikes as a whole. They make it more likely for the police to stop people using higher powered, but sensibly ridden bikes.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
The problem with these bikes is that they attract unwanted attention towards e-bikes as a whole. They make it more likely for the police to stop people using higher powered, but sensibly ridden bikes.
Makes me glad I'm in the middle of nowhere, where the coppers are asleep most of the time. :)