JUICY BIKE CONVERSION KIT on TREK 7300 FX

b0331e

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2011
Hi all,
Just to update you on the progress of my conversion kit drama. Well the kit was delivered on time, I dithered a bit wondering wether to fit it myself, but sided on the sensible option and give it to E-BIKES Direct who are and have been superb. Knowing I am a e-bike virgin Sam the guy who fitted the kit was excellent and very knowledgle. Infact Both Bob from Juicy Bikes and Sam from E-bikes directly conversed between themsleves to resolve a minor issue. So to any E-Bike virgin I recommend dealing with these guys, as they have the patience to deal with first timers with crazy questions as I was.

Now to the kit...
I have only been able to use the bike on my lunch hour, going to places i would never dream off with a basic bike, and on return my legs are not like jelly, and my heart rate is below the legal limit. I urge those who are procrastinating like I was to put all your inhibitions and worries to the side and JUST get one or if you got the tools and are on a par with Bob the Builder then fit it yourself.

I will update again with statistic on speed and range etc etc, but in general IT's FLIPPING GREAT, whizzing through london traffic and having the confidence to tackle hills and go to the front of the queue at traffic lights is just a start, not to mention the health benefits, (using the pedal sensor you feel as if your gliding along but all the while your pedalling with no greeat strain, hence you feel to travel further thus building up the muscles in your legs in the correct way, "High reps, light weight" is the term used in fitness training and thats how the pedelec system on this bike will help you.

Ok attached are some pics I took quickly of kit on bike.............

take care, and if any newbie have any questions and you feel the old guard of this forum tend to speak in klingon then feel free to contact me......

Special thanks to Buxum BOB from Juicy Bikes and Sam from E-bikes Direct

Attachments

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
nice posting. btw, and I thought this was general knowledge, the old guard ARE Klingon. You just need to brush up on your Klingonese! ...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
nice posting. btw, and I thought this was general knowledge, the old guard ARE Klingon. You just need to brush up on your Klingonese! ...
Actually it's the new guard who speak Klingon! This forum started out as very much an everyman's forum on regular e-bikes and predominantly using plain English, the Klingon speaking e-bike site being Endless Sphere and for a couple of years that was the status quo. It's in the last couple of years that the nature of this one has been changing and many of the thread subjects have become much more like those on Endless Sphere.

D

Deleted member 4366

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
glad it worked out well. Just one thing I'm curious about because I had a similar set-up at one time: When you change gear, isn't there a tendencey to accidentally switch the controller off with that switch on the throttle...
D8veh, the green button isolates the throttle, the pedal assist remains on.

Bob, thanks for taking the time to provide such a useful review and I'm really pleased you're happy with the kit.

D

Deleted member 4366

D8veh, the green button isolates the throttle, the pedal assist remains on.

Why would you want to isolate the throttle? Wouldn't it be easier to leave the throttle shut. If it were mine, I'd re-wire it to isolate the controller, which would be more useful IMHO.

b0331e

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2011
glad it worked out well. Just one thing I'm curious about because I had a similar set-up at one time: When you change gear, isn't there a tendencey to accidentally switch the controller off with that switch on the throttle, or is it disconnected. You might be better off with one of these, althoughyou might lose bottom gear if you're presently 8 speed.:
Shimano Tourney / TY SL-TX50 Thumb Shifter Plus - 7-Speed Right Hand | SLTX50R7 : On Your Bike, Bike Shop Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland
Changing the right thumb shifter is a bit cumbersome, due to the fact that on installation, he rolled the shifter forward. Thanks for the ON YOUR BIKE shifter reference, but I have to sort out either a 28" rear wheel or a new 700c thicker tyre so the wheels look uniform. PLus other bits and bobs, so the shifter will be far down the list of WANTS. Thanks for the info..

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
I have the same Juicy Bike conversion on my wifes' Garry Fisher, and when used in pedeled mode it is pretty "Whisper " quiet.........which means that the amount of motor input is modest, but in accordance with the amount of pedal cadence.........using full throttle (on the throttle) makes the unit noisier, but is not really needed except for emergency get-aways, or if caught out in the wrong gear..

in pedelec, the bike is barely noisier than our Nano Brompton, with its Tongxin motor, and it is quite in order to overtake a lagging lycra, without feeling that noise will be a 'give-away' because it wouldn't..

as for the button on the throttle unit, which as stated by others, cancels out the throttle itself, it is a bit of a waste of time, and would be better wired to cancel the pedelec mode, so the bike would be ridden unpowered, except for times when the still available throttle is needed....

cheers all barryc.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
As supplied, the kit is configured to allow easy isolation of the throttle, for those not used to such devices.

The "Big Red Button" syndrome predicts someone will turn the throttle to find out what it does, and when left switched on, not isolated, the bike will fly forwards. But there's nothing to prevent some tinkering as suggested. Perhaps we should offer some alternative wiring diagrams. I'll look into it.

D

Deleted member 4366

JuicyBike;121302 The "Big Red Button" syndrome predicts someone will turn the throttle to find out what it does said:
There's another scenario that's much more likely - I know because I've done it more times than I should've:
Your chain comes off as you jump the curb or mess up your gear-changing, so you stop to thread it back on. As you turn the crank to get the last bit of the chain on, the bike takes off whithout you!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Which do you look for first: bike or finger?