Juicy Bike Kits ? Tell me about them

ramirez

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2010
Hi guys.

I have a GT Zaskar which I love, and use daily for my commute.

I'm interested in making the ride a bit easier for myself, but don't want to change bikes so am looking at the conversion options available.

Do the Juicy Bike Kits offer good value for money, are there other options I should look at too?

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Hi,
I am going down the same route and enquired about kits from Juicy Bikes. It seems that Bob isn't going to be stocking and supplying the kits currently advertised on his site but is considering supplying (I think) a new kit from the summer. I am sure that if you email him at juicybikes direct he will gladly give you further details.

My main concern is that I have read (but would like further advice) that front wheel kits are not suitable for alloy forks and that only steel forks should be used as alloy forks can suffer sudden failure.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well spotted Frank! A real crying shame the 8 Fun kit does not come with the bottle battery that they have on their complete bikes....A missed opportunity I think

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi,

My main concern is that I have read (but would like further advice) that front wheel kits are not suitable for alloy forks and that only steel forks should be used as alloy forks can suffer sudden failure.
Don't believe everything that you read. Many ready-made e-bikes have alloy forks and there's no problem with a 250w motor. Naturally, the lightweight forks off say a racing bike might not be up to the job, but mountain bike suspension forks should be OK as long as the drop-outs are towards the inside of the forks. If they're central, there might not be enough clearance for the motor.

That kit pointed out by Frank is very robust. It's made by SB Bafang - probably the largest manufacturer of e-bike motors. You wouldn't go far wrong with that kit. The things to think about are your gear-changers that often don't fit with a throttle, and you need brake levers with switches, so that means integrated lever/changers have to go, although if you're clever, you can use a motorbike type brake switch pulled by a clamp on the back brake cable. Other than that, it should be quite straight forward to fit a kit.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Ramirez, have you seen the Juicy Bike Kit for sale in classified section?

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Don't believe everything that you read. Many ready-made e-bikes have alloy forks and there's no problem with a 250w motor. Naturally, the lightweight forks off say a racing bike might not be up to the job, but mountain bike suspension forks should be OK as long as the drop-outs are towards the inside of the forks. If they're central, there might not be enough clearance for the motor.
Thanks a lot for that info. I've got a Specialized HardRock Disc MTB and the forks that are fitted are: SR Suntour SF7-XCM. So probably OK for my needs as long as there is space to fit the motor.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks a lot for that info. I've got a Specialized HardRock Disc MTB and the forks that are fitted are: SR Suntour SF7-XCM. So probably OK for my needs as long as there is space to fit the motor.
Looks like a good bike for conversion. You'll probably have to get a 180mm front disk and a caliper spacer to suit, otherwise the caliper will foul on the motor.

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Looks like a good bike for conversion. You'll probably have to get a 180mm front disk and a caliper spacer to suit, otherwise the caliper will foul on the motor.
More help! Thanks a lot (again). What a fantastic forum.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Hi Update on the Kit I recommended it is a company called sunlova

Sunlova Product Page

Cheaper from them Direct I think they are Near Birmingham

They have other kits as well

Frank
They can also supply a thumb throttle on request - my lever had to be slightly modified to clear the supplied brake levers (a few minutes with a hacksaw blade and file sorted it out)..

ramirez

Jul 26, 2010
Excellent thanks everyone :) bob - I sent you an email earlier re the juicy bike kit.

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi Update on the Kit I recommended it is a company called sunlova

Sunlova Product Page

Frank
Hi Frank,

I wonder if you can clarify the situation with the Sunlova kits. I am not sure if you are related, but you seem to be persistant on recommending their goods :).

Anyway, the e-bay item contains the following disclaimer: "This is a Pre-sale, you don't need pay until the bikes arrive UK".

The sunlova direct web site shows "Server Error in '/' Application" whenever I try to access any product from the Product page.

Their home page shows "The website declined to show this webpage".

So are they still alive? Do they carry any kits to sale? Is there a particular reason for having their web site down for more than two weeks (or may be even longer, who knows?). I hope their problems are not related to a bancrupcy or any other unfortunate things.

Thanks
Alex

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I wouldn't imagine so. I live not far from them and brought one of their kits.
Infact I still have half of it (Controller and front bafang motor).

They do seem to have problems with there website every now and then.
Also have kits off the shelf. Worth a look though.

I don't think Frank has anylinks with Sunlova. Frank tends to push most products on 95% of his posts.
You get used to it. I'll say his passionate for now about most products on the market.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi Frank,

Anyway, the e-bay item contains the following disclaimer: "This is a Pre-sale, you don't need pay until the bikes arrive UK".

The sunlova direct web site shows "Server Error in '/' Application" whenever I try to access any product from the Product page.

Their home page shows "The website declined to show this webpage".

So are they still alive? Do they carry any kits to sale? Is there a particular reason for having their web site down for more than two weeks (or may be even longer, who knows?). I hope their problems are not related to a bancrupcy or any other unfortunate things.

Thanks
Alex
It looks like they have a new range of bikes and kits, so they're probably in the process of updating their website.As far as I could figure out from my visits, there's two main people there and maybe one or two other helpers, so they've probably got to do it themselves. They've been going for some time and business must be expanding. It would appear that they've got the concession for 8Fun (Bafang) in the UK. If you have any concerns about them, just give them a call. Their phone numbers are in the advert, but talk slowly because English is their second language. although the woman's English is quite good.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Alex

The link works for me on my Mac

I only recommend company's in the uk or china who you can pay by paypal if the do not deliver in time or the goods are faulty tell paypal and they will refund your payment

If you want Budget kits you must expect budget service

with 5 years in the Ebike market I have designed and supplied Custom Made Kits

Up to 5,000 watts £3500

But you can buy a kit from China for £200/ £300

ebike kit ( Pay by PayPal )

It is Good FUN for a good Diy Member

We all have budgets or just want to do our own thing

I Just love E bikes

Frank

ramirez

Jul 26, 2010
Hi Alex

The link works for me on my Mac

I only recommend company's in the uk or china who you can pay by paypal if the do not deliver in time or the goods are faulty tell paypal and they will refund your payment

If you want Budget kits you must expect budget service

with 5 years in the Ebike market I have designed and supplied Custom Made Kits

Up to 5,000 watts £3500

But you can buy a kit from China for £200/ £300

ebike kit ( Pay by PayPal )

It is Good FUN for a good Diy Member

We all have budgets or just want to do our own thing

I Just love E bikes

Frank
Frank - what parts would I need to buy from that link?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi ramirez

any Kit + the right voltage Battery

List off Questions I ask My customers

How Heavy are you

How far to work

how many hills on the way

can you charge your battery at work

how fast do you want to go ( off road of-course over 15 mph )

Have you Disk brakes or V brakes

Have you front or rear Suspension or both

Rough spend Budget

Tel me this and i will pick out the parts for you

Frank

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I hope you dont ask How much do you weigh first...