Juicy Bike Kits ? Tell me about them

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi It is the most important Question to ask Firstly it will tell me if you need a 36 volt or 48 volt battery if you are 10/12 stone 36 volt OK if you are 18 / 20 stone you need a minimum 48 volts and 500 watts

The reason these Questions are NOT asked is all UK ebikes are 36 volt 250 watts so NO point in asking
Frank

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Before Ebike 13 Stone
Now down to 12.5 Stone, However I am trying not to stuff my face with snacks every 2 mins...

Difficult in an office environment though. =-(

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
all my bikes are Taylor made so like a Taylor i need basic measurements to make the bike fit the person and what they want to use it for

I forgot Inside leg Measurement 18 /20 / 22 frame

I did not ask that because it was for a kit not a bike

I don't sell something out off a BOX

As i said before if you are on a budget i am only to pleased to help

If you don't want to put you details on the Forum PM me

Frank

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi Alex
The link works for me on my Mac
Frank
That was the hidden advertisement of the evil Apple products. Careful, you may loose some potential clients because of that :).

But you can buy a kit from China for £200/ £300
ebike kit ( Pay by PayPal )
Frank
I am still at the research stage. Anyway, I am currently waiting for my new bike to arrive from the online order, I'll see what motor to put in after I ride it for a while. And there are just too many dillemas - legal vs illegal, cheap vs expensive, warranty vs none.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
Before Ebike 13 Stone
Now down to 12.5 Stone, However I am trying not to stuff my face with snacks every 2 mins...

Difficult in an office environment though. =-(
Removing your BPM beauty from the rear hub (but keeping the battery on) will result in the equal weight loss in a month or two :).

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I do like the bpm and cuts down my travel time by 5 mins. But its far to easy to pedal lightly. I could easily have a single speed on the back of about 12 teeth with it as its hideously easy to get to full speed.

Do miss the little front motor as it was basically a little help with hills. Now its pretty much flat out everywhere. Now i'm just trying to go as fast as i can to get more exercise!

alexk-il

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2011
Northern Ireland
Do miss the little front motor as it was basically a little help with hills.
I understand it was the sunlova kit. How noisy was the front motor?
Did you notice any drag when you added this motor (compared to your Marin before the conversion)?
What was the max assisted speed with your 6A controller?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Very quiet front hub motor. You could hear it a bit when going up a steep hill. But generally silent. Esp around 10mph +

No noticeable drag when the motor was off. But once your past the legal assist speed i could travel faster if the motor was off, ie throttle on till at 15mph then throttle off so i could ride at 18mph.

Assist speed was up to 17 mph hot off a charge at 41volts.

Controller was tiny at 6amp rated, 13amp peak. But it meant range was huge and battery would have many life cycles as its under no real stress.

Downside to the controller being so low was that if your not already ok at cycling it might feel slow when climbing as there wouldn't be as much torque as other controllers would offer.

Motors and controllers are cheap from china. Your battery is the biggest expense.

Sunlova kit offers legal assistance and i liked the bafang motors so kept with them. My little 250watt kit i road for 8 weeks and ran up 1000miles no problems

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Mac / PC

Hi just a small tip on windows

Firs thing to do is download Ubuntu

and duel boot your PC then when windows plays up you have a back up all for FREE

Homepage | Ubuntu

Then Buy uniblue It will make your PC run at the same speed as if it was NEW

cost £40 but without it your PC is next to useless it gets slower and slower

Uniblue - System Utilities to Improve PC Performance and Stability

We only use windows XP because off the software for accounting and in the workshop

For electronics software

All the rest run Mac or Ubuntu

Frank

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Regarding Bafang noise, it depends on how much current you put through it. At 6amps it will be quiet but above 15 it starts to whine and groan quite loudly.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
The BPM with 20amp's through it is alot quieter than the smaller bafang.

Or least it seems that way. But then again its positioned behind me and I'm generally going quicker than I was on the front driving motor. So that probably helps me think its quieter.

None of them are very loud in my honest opinion though.

All electric motors are much much quieter than any other motor.